dod wipe - Suse

This is a discussion on dod wipe - Suse ; Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast....

  1. dod wipe

    Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

  2. Re: dod wipe

    fname wrote:
    > Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    Uh... no such tool. If the data is VERY sensitive, physical
    destruction of the media is recommended. Anything else
    that can do it "fast" will likely end up doing enough
    damage that you might as well be sure and go all the way.

    Alternatively, you can go the slow route and make 5
    passes over the data writing randomly.

  3. Re: dod wipe

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:33:31 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    > fname wrote:
    >> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    Don't you wish you'd done your homework challenge before the weekend?

    > Uh... no such tool. If the data is VERY sensitive, physical destruction
    > of the media is recommended. Anything else that can do it "fast" will
    > likely end up doing enough damage that you might as well be sure and go
    > all the way.

    Physical destruction can simply result in pieces which an enemy could
    piece together again.

    To be really sure about magnetic media, they need to be heated to
    slightly above their Curie point for a few minutes. The necessary ovens
    are not easy to come by.

    > Alternatively, you can go the slow route and make 5 passes over the data
    > writing randomly.

    The experts (eg, Darik) recommend at least 17 passes to make decently
    sure.

  4. Re: dod wipe

    marksouth wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:33:31 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> fname wrote:
    >>> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    > Don't you wish you'd done your homework challenge before the weekend?
    >
    >> Uh... no such tool. If the data is VERY sensitive, physical destruction
    >> of the media is recommended. Anything else that can do it "fast" will
    >> likely end up doing enough damage that you might as well be sure and go
    >> all the way.

    > Physical destruction can simply result in pieces which an enemy could
    > piece together again.
    >
    > To be really sure about magnetic media, they need to be heated to
    > slightly above their Curie point for a few minutes. The necessary ovens
    > are not easy to come by.

    But physical destruction does come in many forms... and I dare say
    that if the number of "pieces" is over a thousand, it's highly unlikely
    that the reassemble process will be feasible (how do you know you have
    ALL of the pieces... and I doubt anyone could make sense of it all).

    >> Alternatively, you can go the slow route and make 5 passes over the data
    >> writing randomly.

    > The experts (eg, Darik) recommend at least 17 passes to make decently
    > sure.

    Yep.. regardless.. it's going to be REALLY slow. Physical destruction
    is the safest/fastest. Since the "experts" are now saying 17 passes (up
    from what it was just a few years ago), I'd say the "wipe" technique
    is too error prone to satisfy a safety/security requirement.

  5. Re: dod wipe

    marksouth wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:33:31 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> fname wrote:
    >>> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    > Don't you wish you'd done your homework challenge before the weekend?
    >
    >> Uh... no such tool. If the data is VERY sensitive, physical destruction
    >> of the media is recommended. Anything else that can do it "fast" will
    >> likely end up doing enough damage that you might as well be sure and go
    >> all the way.

    > Physical destruction can simply result in pieces which an enemy could
    > piece together again.
    >
    > To be really sure about magnetic media, they need to be heated to
    > slightly above their Curie point for a few minutes. The necessary ovens
    > are not easy to come by.
    >
    >> Alternatively, you can go the slow route and make 5 passes over the data
    >> writing randomly.

    > The experts (eg, Darik) recommend at least 17 passes to make decently
    > sure.

    You could technically double the magnetic head voltage for a 2 pass wipe
    and effectively destroy all previous data. That's IF you could do that.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ف ٣

  6. Re: dod wipe

    fname wrote:
    > Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    On modern Linux, shred or srm are tools I know. They are not fast at
    all. It will take hours. srm comes in source form from some haxor
    website. You probably already have shred if you are running suse. Just
    do a few passes, I wouldn't bother with 30 passes myself.

    I agree with another poster. If you want fast, write zeros with dd. In
    'ancient' times they could examine the area of the platter surrounding a
    bit to read what a bit's value used to be. I really wonder how easy this
    is on a modern hard drive. I suspect possible but implausible.

    Also there is some nuke-boot-disk project. Can't remember exact name. ah
    here it is: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

  7. Re: dod wipe

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:46:51 -0400, Blattus Slafaly ? ? ?
    wrote:

    >marksouth wrote:

    >> Don't you wish you'd done your homework challenge before the weekend?
    >>
    >>> Uh... no such tool. If the data is VERY sensitive, physical destruction
    >>> of the media is recommended. Anything else that can do it "fast" will
    >>> likely end up doing enough damage that you might as well be sure and go
    >>> all the way.

    >> Physical destruction can simply result in pieces which an enemy could
    >> piece together again.
    >>
    >> To be really sure about magnetic media, they need to be heated to
    >> slightly above their Curie point for a few minutes. The necessary ovens
    >> are not easy to come by.
    >>
    >>> Alternatively, you can go the slow route and make 5 passes over the data
    >>> writing randomly.

    >> The experts (eg, Darik) recommend at least 17 passes to make decently
    >> sure.

    >You could technically double the magnetic head voltage for a 2 pass wipe
    >and effectively destroy all previous data. That's IF you could do that.

    Radial, deep scratches placed on both sides of each platter would
    pretty much guarantee that no data will get recovered. This, of course,
    would be after wiping apps passed over the platters a few times.

    Shredders also work pretty sell. I am not referring to office
    appliance paper shredders.

  8. Re: dod wipe

    Hattori Hanzo wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:46:51 -0400, Blattus Slafaly ? ? ?
    > wrote:
    >
    >> marksouth wrote:

    >>> Don't you wish you'd done your homework challenge before the weekend?

    >>> Physical destruction can simply result in pieces which an enemy could
    >>> piece together again.
    >>>
    >>> To be really sure about magnetic media, they need to be heated to
    >>> slightly above their Curie point for a few minutes. The necessary ovens
    >>> are not easy to come by.

    >>> The experts (eg, Darik) recommend at least 17 passes to make decently
    >>> sure.

    >> You could technically double the magnetic head voltage for a 2 pass wipe
    >> and effectively destroy all previous data. That's IF you could do that.

    > Radial, deep scratches placed on both sides of each platter would
    > pretty much guarantee that no data will get recovered. This, of course,
    > would be after wiping apps passed over the platters a few times.
    >
    > Shredders also work pretty sell. I am not referring to office
    > appliance paper shredders.

    Torch em to a molten puddle, with armed Marines watching worked pretty
    well for us.

    Jack

  9. Re: dod wipe

    jack wrote:
    > Hattori Hanzo wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:46:51 -0400, Blattus Slafaly ? ? ?
    >> wrote:
    >> Radial, deep scratches placed on both sides of each platter would
    >> pretty much guarantee that no data will get recovered. This, of course,
    >> would be after wiping apps passed over the platters a few times.
    >>
    >> Shredders also work pretty sell. I am not referring to office
    >> appliance paper shredders.

    > Torch em to a molten puddle, with armed Marines watching worked pretty
    > well for us.

    Or just install Windows on it.

  10. Re: dod wipe

    moe wrote:
    > fname wrote:
    >> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    > On modern Linux, shred or srm are tools I know. They are not fast at
    > all. It will take hours. srm comes in source form from some haxor
    > website. You probably already have shred if you are running suse. Just
    > do a few passes, I wouldn't bother with 30 passes myself.
    >
    > I agree with another poster. If you want fast, write zeros with dd. In
    > 'ancient' times they could examine the area of the platter surrounding a
    > bit to read what a bit's value used to be. I really wonder how easy this
    > is on a modern hard drive. I suspect possible but implausible.
    >
    > Also there is some nuke-boot-disk project. Can't remember exact name. ah
    > here it is: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Write zeros with dd then load it up with porn and they won't find
    anything else.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  11. Re: dod wipe

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:00:28 -0400, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?
    wrote:

    >moe wrote:
    >> fname wrote:
    >>> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    >> On modern Linux, shred or srm are tools I know. They are not fast at
    >> all. It will take hours. srm comes in source form from some haxor
    >> website. You probably already have shred if you are running suse. Just
    >> do a few passes, I wouldn't bother with 30 passes myself.
    >>
    >> I agree with another poster. If you want fast, write zeros with dd. In
    >> 'ancient' times they could examine the area of the platter surrounding a
    >> bit to read what a bit's value used to be. I really wonder how easy this
    >> is on a modern hard drive. I suspect possible but implausible.
    >>
    >> Also there is some nuke-boot-disk project. Can't remember exact name. ah
    >> here it is: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    >Write zeros with dd then load it up with porn and they won't find
    >anything else.

    They'll claim that it is all child porn and take your **** anyway.

  12. Re: dod wipe

    fname wrote:
    > Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    BCWipe can be used :
    http://www.jetico.com/linux

    Paul.

  13. Re: dod wipe

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:47:58 GMT, Unruh
    wrote:

    >You essentially cannot degauss a HD. The remnance is too high,

    Permanence. The permanence is too high.

  14. Re: dod wipe

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

  15. Re: dod wipe

    Kevin Miller wrote:
    > fname wrote:
    >> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    > http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    From their pages:
    DBAN supports all unix platforms and securely destroys ReiserFS, EXT,
    and UFS filesystems.

    Why mention file systems?

    Also there are others out there:
    http://www.linux-sec.net/Txt/erase.txt

    And from the governement themselves:
    http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/list-archive/0308/4842.cfm

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

  16. Re: dod wipe

    houghi wrote:
    > Kevin Miller wrote:
    >> fname wrote:
    >>> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    >> http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    > From their pages:

    DOH! Send to fast. :-/

    I just wanted to mention that you can either have fast or secure DOD
    wipes. Both will not be possible if you want to keep the HD alive.
    Espeicaly on large HDs this will take a LOT of time. If you have only
    one PC, dban might not be the right choice, because it will occupy your
    PC without the ability to use it for anything else.

    There also is 'shred'.
    http://www.fsckin.com/2008/01/09/usi...ou-should-too/
    tells it take 26 minutes for 2GB

    And obviously doing a search will give a LOT of other results as well.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  17. Re: dod wipe

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 09:29:15 +0200, houghi
    wrote:

    >Kevin Miller wrote:
    >> fname wrote:
    >>> Looking for a tool to wipe disks fast.

    >> http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    >From their pages:
    >DBAN supports all unix platforms and securely destroys ReiserFS, EXT,
    >and UFS filesystems.
    >
    >Why mention file systems?

    Because some are more "retentive" and require a more in depth wiping
    algorithm? That makes mentioning file system compatibilities a selling
    feature, expanding one's available customer base potential.

    >Also there are others out there:
    >http://www.linux-sec.net/Txt/erase.txt
    >
    >And from the governement themselves:
    >http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/list-archive/0308/4842.cfm
    >

    >houghi

  18. Re: dod wipe

    Ok Ive done this a few times and it works ...if you know a welder have him
    wrap his positve cable about the hard drive several times then weld away.
    Gaurantee you that nothing survives the magnetic flux that is created.
    Bob

    ps this destroys the drive and everything on it

    "Hattori Hanzo" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 09:29:15 +0200, houghi
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Kevin Miller wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    >>From their pages:
    >>DBAN supports all unix platforms and securely destroys ReiserFS, EXT,
    >>and UFS filesystems.
    >>
    >>Why mention file systems?

    > Because some are more "retentive" and require a more in depth wiping
    > algorithm? That makes mentioning file system compatibilities a selling
    > feature, expanding one's available customer base potential.
    >>
    >>Also there are others out there:
    >>http://www.linux-sec.net/Txt/erase.txt
    >>
    >>And from the governement themselves:
    >>http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/list-archive/0308/4842.cfm
    >>

    >>houghi

  19. Re: dod wipe

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:19:06 GMT, "bob" wrote:

    >Ok Ive done this a few times and it works ...if you know a welder have him
    >wrap his positve cable about the hard drive several times then weld away.
    >Gaurantee you that nothing survives the magnetic flux that is created.
    >Bob
    >
    >ps this destroys the drive and everything on it

    Ahhhh... bull****!

    I am sure that someone has told you by now that top posting in Usenet
    is retarded. This ain't email.

+ Reply to Thread