Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3... - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3... - Suse ; Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the homestead, I'd ...

  1. Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    homestead, I'd like to save some time.

    BTW: different hardware, different package requirements (three PCs are
    the kids machines (read games, games, and more games).

    TIA

    Thomas

  2. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:53:25 -0700, RoyalHeart wrote:

    > Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    > user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    > formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    > homestead, I'd like to save some time.
    >
    > BTW: different hardware, different package requirements (three PCs are
    > the kids machines (read games, games, and more games).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Thomas

    FWIW, it may be the long way around, but I've always believed a fresh
    install is the safest way to go.

  3. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    RoyalHeart wrote:

    > Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    > user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    > formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    > homestead, I'd like to save some time.

    Do a fresh install, this is the safest *and* fastest way.

    A tipp: Create a spare partition for the home directories and install the OS
    on the resting one. Thus your data won't be affected.

    --
    Cheerz Lars

  4. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    RoyalHeart wrote:
    > Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    > user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    > formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    > homestead, I'd like to save some time.
    >
    > BTW: different hardware, different package requirements (three PCs are
    > the kids machines (read games, games, and more games).

    AFAIK, 10.1 to 10.3 isn't even supported; only 10.2 to 10.3. But even
    then, I prefer clean install since backing up user-data isn't difficult
    (cd /; tar -cvf /mnt/myExternalUSBDrive/home.tar /home).

  5. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > AFAIK, 10.1 to 10.3 isn't even supported; only 10.2 to 10.3. But even
    > then, I prefer clean install since backing up user-data isn't difficult
    > (cd /; tar -cvf /mnt/myExternalUSBDrive/home.tar /home).

    The fastest way would be the following (as you shoudl already HAVE a
    backup)
    During the instalation select the partitions to install to. Select the
    old swap als swap. Select the old / as / and format it. Select the old
    /home as /home and DO NOT format that. Resume the installation.

    What I do is have two / available. The current and the old one. That way
    I canalways go back to the previous version if needed as well as have
    the old /etc and other files available.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  6. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    On 2008-04-03 14:57, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > RoyalHeart wrote:
    >> Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    >> user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    >> formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    >> homestead, I'd like to save some time.
    >>
    >> BTW: different hardware, different package requirements (three PCs are
    >> the kids machines (read games, games, and more games).

    > AFAIK, 10.1 to 10.3 isn't even supported; only 10.2 to 10.3. But even
    > then, I prefer clean install since backing up user-data isn't difficult
    > (cd /; tar -cvf /mnt/myExternalUSBDrive/home.tar /home).

    Suse 10.3 can be extra problematic since they now map all disks as
    scsi devices. One of my machines has 2 sata disks and one ide, as
    /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/hda

    when I upgraded to 10.3 on that machine the old /dev/hda became /dev/sda and
    moved the other 2 and messed up the grub install so I had to save the machine
    by hand using the rescue boot and hand edit the grub files, since yast could
    not fix it with repair :-/

    /bb

  7. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    houghi wrote:
    > What I do is have two / available. The current and the old one. That way
    > I canalways go back to the previous version if needed as well as have
    > the old /etc and other files available.

    You have two / available? :S

  8. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:52:36 +0200, birre wrote:

    > Suse 10.3 can be extra problematic since they now map all disks as scsi
    > devices.

    Or, to put it slightly differently (and possibly more correctly) all
    drives now use libata, with libpata being deprecated.

    > One of my machines has 2 sata disks and one ide, as /dev/sda,
    > /dev/sdb, /dev/hda

    You'll find that SATA disks *are* IDE disks. Look underneath and you'll
    see the "integrated drive electronics".

  9. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> What I do is have two / available. The current and the old one. That way
    >> I canalways go back to the previous version if needed as well as have
    >> the old /etc and other files available.

    > You have two / available? :S

    Yes. Depending on which one I boot.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  10. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    marksouth wrote:
    >> One of my machines has 2 sata disks and one ide, as /dev/sda,
    >> /dev/sdb, /dev/hda

    > You'll find that SATA disks *are* IDE disks. Look underneath and you'll
    > see the "integrated drive electronics".

    Exept for the IDE drives that are on an extra IDE card. So my hda
    became sda and hde became hda.

    All been discussed a bit before.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  11. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> What I do is have two / available. The current and the old one. That way
    >>> I canalways go back to the previous version if needed as well as have
    >>> the old /etc and other files available.

    >> You have two / available? :S

    > Yes. Depending on which one I boot.

    You could have said "dual boot" right away, cause I was wondering if I'm
    missing something important here xD

  12. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    On 2008-04-03 20:16, marksouth wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:52:36 +0200, birre wrote:
    >
    >> Suse 10.3 can be extra problematic since they now map all disks as scsi
    >> devices.

    > Or, to put it slightly differently (and possibly more correctly) all
    > drives now use libata, with libpata being deprecated.
    >
    >> One of my machines has 2 sata disks and one ide, as /dev/sda,
    >> /dev/sdb, /dev/hda

    > You'll find that SATA disks *are* IDE disks. Look underneath and you'll
    > see the "integrated drive electronics".

    I did not go that deep, when I was writing "as scsi devices" I was refering
    to the use of /dev/sd* devices.

    $> whatis sd
    sd (4) - Driver for SCSI Disk Drives

    Not the internal transport layer or ship , that is way to complicated
    for me even if I was a hardware designer very long time ago and
    built my first computer by hand, the time where a floppy drive was
    delivered with a big book, describing all the functions and how to
    design the interface for it. Now they refuse to tell the customer how
    it works and has replaced all information with a windows driver CD.

    /bb

  13. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    On 2008-04-04 10:29, birre wrote:

    > Now they refuse to tell the customer how
    > it works and has replaced all information with a windows driver CD.
    >
    > /bb

    Hmm, it was looking strange even for me when I read my own post :-)
    I don't mean storage here, they are still using known interfaces,
    in most cases, but other needed hardware as usb cams and stuff.

    /bb

  14. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    RoyalHeart wrote:
    > Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    > user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    > formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    > homestead, I'd like to save some time.

    A fresh install is *much* quicker. During an upgrade, the old packages
    need to be deleted first, which adds a lot of overhead to the upgrade
    process.

    Albert

  15. Re: Suse 10.1 to OpenSuse 10.3...

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Albert Koelmans wrote:-

    >RoyalHeart wrote:
    >> Which is better overall? Perform an update of 10.1 to 10.3, or (backup
    >> user data, etc. then) format and reinstall? I'm leaning toward the
    >> formatting, but as I have to do this on multiple machines here at the
    >> homestead, I'd like to save some time.
    >>

    >A fresh install is *much* quicker. During an upgrade, the old packages
    >need to be deleted first, which adds a lot of overhead to the upgrade
    >process.

    Unless you're going to perform an upgrade with a version jump like this
    purely because you want to see if it's possible, maybe to document all
    the fun and games that you had to handle to make it work successfully
    afterwards, and you can handle the inevitable problems you're going to
    run into, I'd also recommend a fresh install.

    Having performed three similar upgrades[0] I know that it can be quite
    easy to do, once you know what to expect. With luck, when I go through
    this process again once 11.0 is released[1], it should go even more
    smoothly than the previous version jumps.

    [0] First was a 10.0 to 10.3 upgrade, followed by a 9.3 to 10.3 upgrade,
    and finally another 10.0 to 10.3 upgrade.

    [1] As with the 9.3/10.0 to 10.3 upgrade, I'm going to have to contend
    with the hd? -> sd? changes :|

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1