kde 4 problems - Suse

This is a discussion on kde 4 problems - Suse ; I decided to try KDE4 on my SUSE 10.3 64-bit machine. The one in the distro never worked for me, so I installed almost all of the rpms from http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...E_10.3/x86_64/ (Unfortunately, the packaged install program on the OpenSUSE site could ...

  1. kde 4 problems

    I decided to try KDE4 on my SUSE 10.3 64-bit machine. The one in the
    distro never worked for me, so I installed almost all of the rpms from
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...E_10.3/x86_64/
    (Unfortunately, the packaged install program on the OpenSUSE site
    could never succeed because of timeouts).

    So, if I access this machine remotely, KDE4 seems to work nicely
    (Mostly).
    1) I cannot figure out how to add to the number of desktops. There was
    no such option in the desktop settings.
    2) I also cannot figure out how to add an application to the tool bar.
    It allows me to add an applet, but not an application, such as konsole
    -- so did I fail to install some package?

    But even worse, if I log into the console, the X server no longer
    starts. So I would appreciate some help.
    How do I get the X server back?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: kde 4 problems

    On Apr 2, 3:37*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com" wrote:
    > I decided to try KDE4 on my SUSE 10.3 64-bit machine. The one in the
    > distro never worked for me, so I installed almost all of the rpms fromhttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/STABLE:/Desktop/...
    > (Unfortunately, the packaged install program on the OpenSUSE site
    > could never succeed because of timeouts).
    >
    > So, if I access this machine remotely, KDE4 seems to work nicely
    > (Mostly).
    > 1) I cannot figure out how to add to the number of desktops. There was
    > no such option in the desktop settings.
    > 2) I also cannot figure out how to add an application to the tool bar.
    > It allows me to add an applet, but not an application, such as konsole
    > -- so did I fail to install some package?
    >
    > But even worse, if I log into the console, the X server no longer
    > starts. So I would appreciate some help.
    > How do I get the X server back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    My machine rebooted, and X is working again. But now the bottom bar
    (with all the controls) is gone, and I cannot figure out how to get it
    back.

  3. Re: kde 4 problems

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Apr 2, 3:37*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com" wrote:
    >> I decided to try KDE4 on my SUSE 10.3 64-bit machine. The one in the
    >> distro never worked for me, so I installed almost all of the rpms

    fromhttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/STABLE:/Desktop/...
    >> (Unfortunately, the packaged install program on the OpenSUSE site could
    >> never succeed because of timeouts).
    >>
    >> So, if I access this machine remotely, KDE4 seems to work nicely
    >> (Mostly).
    >> 1) I cannot figure out how to add to the number of desktops. There was
    >> no such option in the desktop settings.
    >> 2) I also cannot figure out how to add an application to the tool bar.
    >> It allows me to add an applet, but not an application, such as konsole
    >> -- so did I fail to install some package?
    >>
    >> But even worse, if I log into the console, the X server no longer
    >> starts. So I would appreciate some help.
    >> How do I get the X server back?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    > My machine rebooted, and X is working again. But now the bottom bar
    > (with all the controls) is gone, and I cannot figure out how to get it
    > back.

    Start by right clicking on the desktop -> 'run command' -> 'kcontrol'

    I'll leave the rest to you, but -> 'Desktop' -> 'Panels' would probably be a
    good place to look.......

  4. Re: kde 4 problems

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Apr 2, 3:37*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com" wrote:
    >> I decided to try KDE4 on my SUSE 10.3 64-bit machine. The one in the
    >> distro never worked for me, so I installed almost all of the rpms

    fromhttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/STABLE:/Desktop/...
    >> (Unfortunately, the packaged install program on the OpenSUSE site could
    >> never succeed because of timeouts).
    >>
    >> So, if I access this machine remotely, KDE4 seems to work nicely
    >> (Mostly).
    >> 1) I cannot figure out how to add to the number of desktops. There was
    >> no such option in the desktop settings.
    >> 2) I also cannot figure out how to add an application to the tool bar.
    >> It allows me to add an applet, but not an application, such as konsole
    >> -- so did I fail to install some package?
    >>
    >> But even worse, if I log into the console, the X server no longer
    >> starts. So I would appreciate some help.
    >> How do I get the X server back?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    > My machine rebooted, and X is working again. But now the bottom bar
    > (with all the controls) is gone, and I cannot figure out how to get it
    > back.

    Press the ALT and F2 keys at the same time. In the Command field
    type "kicker" (without the quotes) and click on OK.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: kde 4 problems

    On Apr 4, 8:39 am, Darrell Stec
    wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > On Apr 2, 3:37 pm, "jamesromeongmail.com" wrote:
    > >> I decided to try KDE4 on my SUSE 10.3 64-bit machine. The one in the
    > >> distro never worked for me, so I installed almost all of the rpms

    > fromhttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/STABLE:/Desktop/...
    >

    > >> (Unfortunately, the packaged install program on the OpenSUSE site could
    > >> never succeed because of timeouts).

    > >> So, if I access this machine remotely, KDE4 seems to work nicely
    > >> (Mostly).
    > >> 1) I cannot figure out how to add to the number of desktops. There was
    > >> no such option in the desktop settings.
    > >> 2) I also cannot figure out how to add an application to the tool bar.
    > >> It allows me to add an applet, but not an application, such as konsole
    > >> -- so did I fail to install some package?

    > >> But even worse, if I log into the console, the X server no longer
    > >> starts. So I would appreciate some help.
    > >> How do I get the X server back?

    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Jim

    > > My machine rebooted, and X is working again. But now the bottom bar
    > > (with all the controls) is gone, and I cannot figure out how to get it
    > > back.

    > Press the ALT and F2 keys at the same time. In the Command field
    > type "kicker" (without the quotes) and click on OK.
    >
    > --
    > Later,
    > Darrell Stec dars...@neo.rr.com
    >
    > Webpage Sorceryhttp://webpagesorcery.com
    > We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

    Thanks Darrell,

    This command works on my 64 bit kubuntu system to return the tool bar.

+ Reply to Thread