running a 32 Bit app on a 64 Bit SLES 10 - Suse

This is a discussion on running a 32 Bit app on a 64 Bit SLES 10 - Suse ; Hi, I have a question regarding migration from SLES9 to SLES10 currently we running an application on 32 Bit SLES9 compiled with GCC-3.3 In future we want to run the same application on a 64 Bit SLES10 still compiled as ...

  1. running a 32 Bit app on a 64 Bit SLES 10

    Hi,

    I have a question regarding migration from SLES9 to SLES10

    currently we running an application on 32 Bit SLES9 compiled with
    GCC-3.3

    In future we want to run the same application on a 64 Bit SLES10
    still compiled
    as 32 Bit application using the gcc-4.1 compiler

    The reason for this is:
    1. The application at all does not using more than 2G as memory
    2. The amount of work to migrate to a "real" 64 Bit application is
    currently to big

    But I still have one open question

    If the 64 Bit SLES 10 host is using > 4G memory, it is possible to
    use multiple
    32 Bit apps with ~ 2G memory per app run on this host (access
    physical memory larger
    than 4G)

    calculation:

    64 Bit SLES10 host has 12G physical memory
    can I run (at the same time) 10 x 32 Bit apps a 2G using together
    10G of physical memory on the 64 BIT
    SLES10 host?

    thanks for the answer

    mfg

    Andreas Otto

  2. Re: running a 32 Bit app on a 64 Bit SLES 10

    aotto wrote:

    > If the 64 Bit SLES 10 host is using > 4G memory, it is possible to
    > use multiple
    > 32 Bit apps with ~ 2G memory per app run on this host (access
    > physical memory larger
    > than 4G)

    Yes, why not? Make sure that the necessary 32 libraries are installed.

    > calculation:
    >
    > 64 Bit SLES10 host has 12G physical memory
    > can I run (at the same time) 10 x 32 Bit apps a 2G using together
    > 10G of physical memory on the 64 BIT
    > SLES10 host?

    You might learn the hard way that 10*2!=10 ;-)
    From your name I guess that you speak German. C't magazine has a good
    article on 64 bit operating systems in the current issue 08/2008.

    GŁnther

+ Reply to Thread