Cool application ! - Suse

This is a discussion on Cool application ! - Suse ; Though this is not a SuSE specific post I am so impressed by this application that I thought I'd mention it to the group. The application I'm referring to is a collaborative workspace for OpenOffice which has a free community ...

  1. Cool application !

    Though this is not a SuSE specific post I am so impressed by this
    application that I thought I'd mention it to the group. The application I'm
    referring to is a collaborative workspace for OpenOffice which has a free
    community edition as well as a non-free (pay for it) version both of which
    are GPL'd ! It is called o3spaces and you can get it here:

    http://www.o3spaces.com/

    From the web site:

    O3Spaces Workplace brings document management and document collaboration
    features to OpenOffice.org...., including real-time version control,
    check-in/check-out and document security.

    For some reason I could not extract the rpm from the provided RedHat
    compatible version with the tar command. I did get it to work by (if my
    memory from yesterday is accurate) left clicking on the package and
    installing it with kpackage. Suppose I might have done something wrong but
    that was how I got it installed. Just had to press enter a lot to scroll
    through the readme in kpackage after entering the root password and 'q' to
    quit once I reached the bottom of the readme. Then it installed o.k.

    Once installed I used Firefox as Konqueror doesn't work for this
    application. This is a nice polished application and should help
    OpenOffice gain Enterprise level features that were not available until
    now. Nice even for small companies too. This is also another reason to
    not need the M$ office collaboration stuff.

    Sorry to post this for those who don't see this as a SuSE/OpenSUSE post but
    I like sharing such gems with my co-users as this just expands are great
    open source alternatives and hey, I did mention that there is a FREE
    community version which is GPL'd... And it works with our FREE/GPL'd
    OpenOffice suite.

    Enjoy.

    P.S. I don't work with ANY software company nor am I affiliated with any.
    This is just because I like to help our community grow and DOMINATE THE
    WORLD.....
    ;-)
    ;-)
    :-)

  2. Re: Cool application !

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    ---------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------

    > P.S. I don't work with ANY software company nor am I affiliated with any.
    > This is just because I like to help our community grow and DOMINATE THE
    > WORLD.....
    > ;-)
    > ;-)
    > :-)

    Should have mentioned that this is also a response to an earlier post
    someone made asking about Sharepoint services for Linux. This application
    IS a similar service for workspace collaboration in Linux. Also available
    for M$ and Mac.

  3. Re: Cool application !

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Though this is not a SuSE specific post I am so impressed by this
    > application that I thought I'd mention it to the group. The application I'm
    > referring to is a collaborative workspace for OpenOffice which has a free
    > community edition as well as a non-free (pay for it) version both of which
    > are GPL'd ! It is called o3spaces and you can get it here:
    >
    > http://www.o3spaces.com/
    >
    > From the web site:
    >
    > O3Spaces Workplace brings document management and document collaboration
    > features to OpenOffice.org...., including real-time version control,
    > check-in/check-out and document security.

    Sounds nice

    > For some reason I could not extract the rpm from the provided RedHat
    > compatible version with the tar command. I did get it to work by (if my
    > memory from yesterday is accurate) left clicking on the package and
    > installing it with kpackage.

    I think it is stupid that they put it in a tgz in the first place

    > Once installed I used Firefox as Konqueror doesn't work for this
    > application. This is a nice polished application and should help
    > OpenOffice gain Enterprise level features that were not available until
    > now. Nice even for small companies too. This is also another reason to
    > not need the M$ office collaboration stuff.

    Could be. Although I would not call it polished if instalation does not
    work like it should be (just install the RPM) and it doesn't work with a
    major browser.

    > Sorry to post this for those who don't see this as a SuSE/OpenSUSE post but
    > I like sharing such gems with my co-users as this just expands are great
    > open source alternatives and hey, I did mention that there is a FREE
    > community version which is GPL'd... And it works with our FREE/GPL'd
    > OpenOffice suite.

    I was looking for the sourcecode, which is something you need if it is
    GPL, so I could see if I could put it on the openSUSE build server, but
    I was unable to find it.
    Seems it isn't opensource and thus not GPL at all. It is "free to use"
    and is limited to 10 users. Sounds like shareware to me.

    > P.S. I don't work with ANY software company nor am I affiliated with any.
    > This is just because I like to help our community grow and DOMINATE THE
    > WORLD.....

    .... and I do that by advertising closed source programs.

    Not a good move Michael and I will accept your appologies. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  4. Re: Cool application !

    houghi wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Though this is not a SuSE specific post I am so impressed by this
    >> application that I thought I'd mention it to the group. The application
    >> I'm referring to is a collaborative workspace for OpenOffice which has a
    >> free community edition as well as a non-free (pay for it) version both of
    >> which
    >> are GPL'd ! It is called o3spaces and you can get it here:
    >>
    >> http://www.o3spaces.com/
    >>
    >> From the web site:
    >>
    >> O3Spaces Workplace brings document management and document collaboration
    >> features to OpenOffice.org...., including real-time version control,
    >> check-in/check-out and document security.

    > Sounds nice
    >
    >> For some reason I could not extract the rpm from the provided RedHat
    >> compatible version with the tar command. I did get it to work by (if my
    >> memory from yesterday is accurate) left clicking on the package and
    >> installing it with kpackage.

    > I think it is stupid that they put it in a tgz in the first place
    >
    >> Once installed I used Firefox as Konqueror doesn't work for this
    >> application. This is a nice polished application and should help
    >> OpenOffice gain Enterprise level features that were not available until
    >> now. Nice even for small companies too. This is also another reason to
    >> not need the M$ office collaboration stuff.

    > Could be. Although I would not call it polished if instalation does not
    > work like it should be (just install the RPM) and it doesn't work with a
    > major browser.
    >
    >> Sorry to post this for those who don't see this as a SuSE/OpenSUSE post
    >> but I like sharing such gems with my co-users as this just expands are
    >> great open source alternatives and hey, I did mention that there is a
    >> FREE
    >> community version which is GPL'd... And it works with our FREE/GPL'd
    >> OpenOffice suite.

    > I was looking for the sourcecode, which is something you need if it is
    > GPL, so I could see if I could put it on the openSUSE build server, but
    > I was unable to find it.
    > Seems it isn't opensource and thus not GPL at all. It is "free to use"
    > and is limited to 10 users. Sounds like shareware to me.
    >
    >> P.S. I don't work with ANY software company nor am I affiliated with
    >> any. This is just because I like to help our community grow and DOMINATE
    >> THE WORLD.....

    > ... and I do that by advertising closed source programs.
    >
    > Not a good move Michael and I will accept your appologies. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    I apologize ;-(

    I guess I just got too excited.

    But it is still a great application.

    Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT GPL'd software. IT IS PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE !!!

    Thanks for pointing that out Houghi.

    Nonetheless it is still excellent quality (not the installer part though).
    The do mention SLES and NOT OpenSuSE as an approved platform.

    Again, sorry for this mistake on my part. I suppose I need to take a chill
    pill from time to time.......

    P.S. I still think this is a usefull application. Perhaps someone(s) will
    create a similar application in a GPL'd fashion...

  5. Re: Cool application !

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Though this is not a SuSE specific post I am so impressed by this
    > application that I thought I'd mention it to the group. The application
    > I'm referring to is a collaborative workspace for OpenOffice which has a
    > free community edition as well as a non-free (pay for it) version both of
    > which
    > are GPL'd ! It is called o3spaces and you can get it here:
    >
    > http://www.o3spaces.com/
    >
    > From the web site:
    >
    > O3Spaces Workplace brings document management and document collaboration
    > features to OpenOffice.org...., including real-time version control,
    > check-in/check-out and document security.
    >

    > For some reason I could not extract the rpm from the provided RedHat
    > compatible version with the tar command. I did get it to work by (if my
    > memory from yesterday is accurate) left clicking on the package and
    > installing it with kpackage. Suppose I might have done something wrong
    > but

    i extracted it with tar -xf filename-tgz

    > that was how I got it installed. Just had to press enter a lot to scroll
    > through the readme in kpackage after entering the root password and 'q' to
    > quit once I reached the bottom of the readme. Then it installed o.k.
    >
    > Once installed I used Firefox as Konqueror doesn't work for this
    > application. This is a nice polished application and should help
    > OpenOffice gain Enterprise level features that were not available until
    > now. Nice even for small companies too. This is also another reason to
    > not need the M$ office collaboration stuff.

    how did you start it in firefox i see nothing i don't even get it in
    openoffice

    > Sorry to post this for those who don't see this as a SuSE/OpenSUSE post
    > but I like sharing such gems with my co-users as this just expands are
    > great open source alternatives and hey, I did mention that there is a FREE
    > community version which is GPL'd... And it works with our FREE/GPL'd
    > OpenOffice suite.
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >

    > P.S. I don't work with ANY software company nor am I affiliated with any.
    > This is just because I like to help our community grow and DOMINATE THE
    > WORLD.....
    > ;-)
    > ;-)
    > :-)

  6. Re: Cool application !

    -----------------------------------snip----------------------------------------------

    > how did you start it in firefox i see nothing i don't even get it in
    > openoffice

    You have to start the application first. As root do this:

    /etc/rc.d/o3spaces start

    That should do it. Also, start the 'Workplace Assistant' for the workplace
    to be active. This will make the icons in Open Office colorized, which
    shows it's all working. Of course you will have to have Apache running as
    a running web server is required !

    >> Sorry to post this for those who don't see this as a SuSE/OpenSUSE post
    >> but I like sharing such gems with my co-users as this just expands are
    >> great open source alternatives and hey, I did mention that there is a
    >> FREE
    >> community version which is GPL'd... And it works with our FREE/GPL'd
    >> OpenOffice suite.

    As noted in this thread this program is NOT GPL'd !!! That was a mistake on
    my part and I apologize for stating otherwise. Nonetheless, you can use
    the community edition for free (limit 10 users) and there is a community
    web site and documentation available...linked to from the o3spaces web
    page.

    I don't know why but trying to start this with the runlevel editor fails.
    So manually start it. I'll have to investigate the reason for this and if
    I figure it out I'll report back.

    >> Enjoy.
    >>

    >> P.S. I don't work with ANY software company nor am I affiliated with
    >> any. This is just because I like to help our community grow and DOMINATE
    >> THE WORLD.....
    >> ;-)
    >> ;-)
    >> :-)