default color profile of mutt - Suse

This is a discussion on default color profile of mutt - Suse ; Hi, I find the default color profile of mutt on my Suse 10.3 machine very pleasing. But, where are these default defined? I'd love to put them in my .muttrc so I can have them on other systems as well. ...

  1. default color profile of mutt

    Hi,

    I find the default color profile of mutt on my Suse 10.3 machine very
    pleasing. But, where are these default defined? I'd love to put them in
    my .muttrc so I can have them on other systems as well.

    Any suggestions?

    Michael

  2. Re: default color profile of mutt

    Michael Goerz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I find the default color profile of mutt on my Suse 10.3 machine very
    > pleasing. But, where are these default defined? I'd love to put them in
    > my .muttrc so I can have them on other systems as well.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Well, they're in your .muttrc :P

  3. Re: default color profile of mutt

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 at 18:15 GMT, Michael Goerz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I find the default color profile of mutt on my Suse 10.3 machine very
    > pleasing. But, where are these default defined? I'd love to put them in
    > my .muttrc so I can have them on other systems as well.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Michael

    Suggestion #1 is to post the question in the right newsgroup, which in this
    case would be comp.mail.mutt. But don't do that yet because you will surely
    be told to go read the manual for such a basic question.

    If you don't have your own .muttrc mutt will use the system version, found at
    /etc/Muttrc (note the capital M). So,

    Suggestion #2 is to copy /etc/Muttrc to your home directory (~/.muttrc) and
    edit the bejeezus out of it. Lastly, sounds like you could use a good
    beginner's guide to mutt. Here, have mine:
    http://therandymon.com/content/view/42/98/ (HTML and PDF versions).

    12,000 downloads can't be wrong. It covers set up, usage, and more advanced
    configuration. Happy mutting.

  4. Re: default color profile of mutt

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote, on 03/27/2008 02:38 PM:
    > Michael Goerz wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I find the default color profile of mutt on my Suse 10.3 machine very
    >> pleasing. But, where are these default defined? I'd love to put them in
    >> my .muttrc so I can have them on other systems as well.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > Well, they're in your .muttrc :P

    Apparently, only some of them, but not all...

  5. Re: default color profile of mutt

    R Wood wrote, on 03/27/2008 03:04 PM:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 at 18:15 GMT, Michael Goerz wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I find the default color profile of mutt on my Suse 10.3 machine very
    >> pleasing. But, where are these default defined? I'd love to put them in
    >> my .muttrc so I can have them on other systems as well.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Suggestion #1 is to post the question in the right newsgroup, which in this
    > case would be comp.mail.mutt. But don't do that yet because you will surely
    > be told to go read the manual for such a basic question.

    I did. It was a crossposting (since I thought this might be something
    specific to SuSE -- the SuSE default color scheme of mutt.)

    > If you don't have your own .muttrc mutt will use the system version, found at
    > /etc/Muttrc (note the capital M). So,

    /etc/Muttrc doesn't contain a lot (i.e. no colors). It's a long file,
    but almost everything is commented out.

    > Suggestion #2 is to copy /etc/Muttrc to your home directory (~/.muttrc) and
    > edit the bejeezus out of it. Lastly, sounds like you could use a good
    > beginner's guide to mutt. Here, have mine:
    > http://therandymon.com/content/view/42/98/ (HTML and PDF versions).

    Okay, I wasn't specific enough on my problem. I do have my own mutt
    file, and there are colors defined in it (copied from some example on
    the web.) And, these colors are part of the total appearance on my
    system, which I'm trying to reproduce (if I take out the 'source
    ~/.mutt/colors' from my .muttrc, it's all black and white, so that's
    SuSE's default). Now what was confusing me was this: I copied my entire
    mutt profile a a machine on my school's cluster. When I ssh'd in, and
    started mutt, it looked different than it looked on my machine. Most
    notably, the background in the index is black. The main problem, though,
    is that there are really ugly contrasts: the ascii-art-"arrows" that
    indicate threads still have a white background. Likewise, the header
    when viewing a message.
    My thinking was that the reason for these differences was that my own
    ..muttrc did not specify the color for all configurable elements (which
    it probably doesn't), and that the remaining elements got their color
    from some global config file. Hence I was asking what the global config
    file might be.

    But, the guide you were pointing me to mentions:

    "You may want different color schemes for different circumstances
    though: xterms are black on white unless you specify otherwise, but
    virtual consoles are white on black. In addition, aterm, gnome-terminal,
    and konsole are all terminal emulators capable of using transparency and
    background images, both of which are very pleasant effects."

    So, the probable explanation for the difference seems to be different
    terminal types (local xterm vs. ssh terminal). The different defaults
    are not system defaults, but terminal settings. Am I getting this right?
    I guess I'll have to read though the docs again and play around with my
    configuration, to get something that looks nice on all systems.

    Any other comments on this issue?

    > 12,000 downloads can't be wrong. It covers set up, usage, and more advanced
    > configuration. Happy mutting.

    Yeah, it's a very nice guide... I was looking at it before, and I'll go
    through the color section again.

    Thanks,
    Michael

  6. Re: default color profile of mutt

    Michael Goerz wrote:
    > Okay, I wasn't specific enough on my problem. I do have my own mutt
    > file, and there are colors defined in it (copied from some example on
    > the web.) And, these colors are part of the total appearance on my
    > system, which I'm trying to reproduce (if I take out the 'source
    > ~/.mutt/colors' from my .muttrc, it's all black and white, so that's
    > SuSE's default).

    Hmm. There's not ~/.mutt/ directory at all here. openSUSE 10.3.

    > Now what was confusing me was this: I copied my entire
    > mutt profile a a machine on my school's cluster. When I ssh'd in, and
    > started mutt, it looked different than it looked on my machine. Most
    > notably, the background in the index is black. The main problem, though,
    > is that there are really ugly contrasts: the ascii-art-"arrows" that
    > indicate threads still have a white background. Likewise, the header
    > when viewing a message.
    > My thinking was that the reason for these differences was that my own
    > .muttrc did not specify the color for all configurable elements (which
    > it probably doesn't), and that the remaining elements got their color
    > from some global config file. Hence I was asking what the global config
    > file might be.

    Here, I didn't touch the mutt configuration. It's a clean 10.3 install
    (not update from a previous openSUSE version). There's only a ~/.muttrc
    file and everything looks correctly. No weird stuff. I even copied
    this ~/.muttrc to a Fedora and a Slackware box and it worked; mutt
    looked exactly like on my openSUSE 10.3 box.

    So I'd say something weird is happening with yours :P Is it a clean
    install? If not, then I guess distro updates keep a lot of old
    configurations around (after all, that's why you chose to update instead
    of installing clean, or? :P)

+ Reply to Thread