Mysql - Suse

This is a discussion on Mysql - Suse ; When you install Mysql with yast it creates lots of mysql directories. Which directory is the database directory? -- Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Mysql

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  2. Re: Mysql

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:

    > When you install Mysql with yast it creates lots of mysql directories.
    > Which directory is the database directory?

    If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql. However,
    the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf

    At least that's my 'observation'...

  3. Re: Mysql

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >
    >> When you install Mysql with yast it creates lots of mysql directories.
    >> Which directory is the database directory?
    >>

    > If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    > is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    > where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql. However,
    > the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf
    >
    > At least that's my 'observation'...

    Why ain't there a GUI interface to operate the piece of crap? You have
    to do all this secret back door crap to get this thing working.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  4. Re: Mysql

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >>
    >>> When you install Mysql with yast it creates lots of mysql directories.
    >>> Which directory is the database directory?
    >>>

    >> If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    >> is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    >> where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql.
    >> However, the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf
    >>
    >> At least that's my 'observation'...

    > Why ain't there a GUI interface to operate the piece of crap? You have
    > to do all this secret back door crap to get this thing working.

    Well there is a GUI for MySQL ! Try not being such a crapy mouth if you
    want help though. I'll just take it to mean you're frustrated though and
    I'll try to help you.

    Install:

    1. mysql-administrator
    2. mysql-query-browser
    3. mysql-gui (needed by #2)

    P.S. If you want to 'see' where all your installed rpm's files are I
    recommend installing 'xrpm-2.2-3', which you can get here: (shift + left
    click to download !!)

    ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/pa...2-3.noarch.rpm

    Newer versions have dependency issues in my experience. Also, do NOT use
    this package as root as this package does not work well Yast's data
    base !!!! But it is, in my experience, the fastest way to see all the
    installed rpm's with a nice gui interface. Just expand the program to top
    and bottom of your screen by dragging the edges to make the slider bar
    bigger as this makes it easier to move up and down in the gui. Click on
    the application you are looking for and then click on the 'list files'
    button to see every file associated with the application...

    Chill out man !!

  5. Re: Mysql

    On 2008-03-27, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >>
    >>> When you install Mysql with yast it creates lots of mysql directories.
    >>> Which directory is the database directory?
    >>>

    >> If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    >> is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    >> where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql. However,
    >> the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf
    >>
    >> At least that's my 'observation'...

    > Why ain't there a GUI interface to operate the piece of crap? You have
    > to do all this secret back door crap to get this thing working.

    So you know nothing and you call MySQL that?
    I don't know much but I'd call it anything else than that, you.

    You are something.

    Just in case you learn to behave in the _very_ near future:

    http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

    And FYI that GUI is included in openSUSE.

    P.S. Try that behavior in MySQL or php groups...

    Vahis
    --
    “The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about”.

  6. Re: Mysql

    On 2008-03-27 22:38, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >>
    >>> When you install Mysql with yast it creates lots of mysql directories.
    >>> Which directory is the database directory?
    >>>

    >> If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    >> is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    >> where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql.
    >> However,
    >> the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf
    >>
    >> At least that's my 'observation'...

    > Why ain't there a GUI interface to operate the piece of crap? You have
    > to do all this secret back door crap to get this thing working.

    The secrets are to read instructions.

    Just do rcmysql start and it TELL YOU what to do.
    Set the password for root and root@yourhost.domain

    Create the file /root/.my.cnf , make it readable only for root.
    add:

    [client]
    user = root
    password = 'the password for root'

    Now you can do mysqlshow , mysqladmin, mysql , mysqldump without passwords and
    things as root.

    and install mysql-administrator from mysql.com if you need a GUI.

    /bb

  7. Re: Mysql

    Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-03-27, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >>> If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    >>> is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    >>> where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql. However,
    >>> the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf
    >>>
    >>> At least that's my 'observation'...

    >> Why ain't there a GUI interface to operate the piece of crap? You have
    >> to do all this secret back door crap to get this thing working.
    >>

    > So you know nothing and you call MySQL that?
    > I don't know much but I'd call it anything else than that, you.
    >
    > You are something.
    >
    > Just in case you learn to behave in the _very_ near future:
    >
    > http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php
    >

    > And FYI that GUI is included in openSUSE.
    >
    > P.S. Try that behavior in MySQL or php groups...
    >
    > Vahis

    Yes daddy.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ف ٣

  8. Re: Mysql

    On Mar 27, 5:23 pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > P.S. If you want to 'see' where all your installed rpm's files are I
    > recommend installing 'xrpm-2.2-3', which you can get here: (shift + left
    > click to download !!)
    >
    > ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/pa.../redhat-5.2/RP...

    Don't mean to hijack this thread - but you can also user KPackage. It
    works quite well with the RPM database. You run it as normal user, and
    only have to enter root password when installing/deleting rpm's.

  9. Re: Mysql

    Skippyboy wrote:

    > On Mar 27, 5:23 pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >

    >> P.S. If you want to 'see' where all your installed rpm's files are I
    >> recommend installing 'xrpm-2.2-3', which you can get here: (shift + left
    >> click to download !!)
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/pa.../redhat-5.2/RP...
    >>

    > Don't mean to hijack this thread - but you can also user KPackage. It
    > works quite well with the RPM database. You run it as normal user, and
    > only have to enter root password when installing/deleting rpm's.

    Ahhh..I've been hijacked ! LOL

    Yes kpackage does list packages. However, xrpm is a much quicker way to get
    a straight alphabetical listing without a lot of clutter. Within 2 seconds
    you can view all installed applications without the icons, groups, etc.
    getting in the way. Just more succinct and to the point if you are looking
    for something in a hurry. If I'm doing an install of a package from source
    and there are unmet requirements I can search through my installed packages
    quite quickly with xrpm. This saves much time. Sort of like the reason
    many people use (x)emacs or vi(m) to do things efficiently. But both will
    do and each has their own strengths/weaknesses. Kpackage does not have the
    database irregularities that xrpm does while xrpm is much faster for a
    quick alphabetic visual scan.

    Get off of my airplane !! ;-)

  10. Re: Mysql

    birre wrote:
    > On 2008-03-27 22:38, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >>> If you mean 'where is the actual data stored' then it
    >>> is /var/lib/mysql/'your-application-database-name'. If you want to know
    >>> where the configuration files are stored it is /usr/share/mysql.
    >>> However,
    >>> the 'main' configuration file is /etc/mysql.cnf
    >>>
    >>> At least that's my 'observation'...

    >> Why ain't there a GUI interface to operate the piece of crap? You have
    >> to do all this secret back door crap to get this thing working.
    >>

    > The secrets are to read instructions.
    >
    > Just do rcmysql start and it TELL YOU what to do.
    > Set the password for root and root@yourhost.domain
    >
    > Create the file /root/.my.cnf , make it readable only for root.
    > add:
    >
    > [client]
    > user = root
    > password = 'the password for root'
    >

    > Now you can do mysqlshow , mysqladmin, mysql , mysqldump without
    > passwords and things as root.
    >
    > and install mysql-administrator from mysql.com if you need a GUI.
    >
    > /bb

    Why do I get this with mysqlshow?
    mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    password: NO)
    and as root:
    mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    why can't I access my own system?

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  11. Re: Mysql

    On 2008-03-28, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:

    > Why do I get this with mysqlshow?
    > mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    > password: NO)
    > and as root:
    > mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    > why can't I access my own system?

    You will have more questions like this.
    I know from (recent) experience

    So I recomment this:

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html

    In case of another MySQL version there are links on the left there.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite

  12. Re: Mysql

    Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-03-28, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >

    >> Why do I get this with mysqlshow?
    >> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    >> password: NO)
    >> and as root:
    >> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    >> why can't I access my own system?
    >>

    > You will have more questions like this.
    > I know from (recent) experience
    >
    > So I recomment this:
    >
    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html
    >
    > In case of another MySQL version there are links on the left there.
    >

    > Vahis

    Their instructions are crap. I follow them and it don't work. It's crap.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  13. Re: Mysql

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    > Their instructions are crap. I follow them and it don't work. It's crap.

    Yeah. Because you did not get it working they are crap. It is good to
    know that _you_ are the reference.

    It doesn't mean that because you followed them and failed that it
    automagicaly means they are crap. There is no automatic correlation
    between the two.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  14. Re: Mysql

    On 2008-03-29, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> On 2008-03-28, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >>

    >>> Why do I get this with mysqlshow?
    >>> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    >>> password: NO)
    >>> and as root:
    >>> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    >>> why can't I access my own system?
    >>>

    >> You will have more questions like this.
    >> I know from (recent) experience
    >>
    >> So I recomment this:
    >>
    >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html
    >>
    >> In case of another MySQL version there are links on the left there.
    >>

    >> Vahis

    > Their instructions are crap. I follow them and it don't work. It's crap.

    So you can't create a database you can connect to?
    Must be crap.

    Obviously some others don't know as much as you do about crap.
    Google and YouTube for instance. They use it, but that must be because
    they are not aware of the facts you have.

    They have thousands and thousand of themservers.
    And those fools don't realise that they are using crap.

    Also Sun Microsystems have obviously been scammed big time. They just
    bought MySQL last January. They paid like a billion euros for it.

    Those fools.

    And the final reason for it to be helplessly crap: It's been invented
    and developed in Finland, the country of crappy software like Linux.

    A lot of people say Linux is crap, too.

    They can't figure it out either.

    MySQL is the world's most popular open source database with millions of
    installations so somebody must be able to connect to it.

    Even I can create a database with one sigle command.
    Then I can connect to it with another single command.

    That took me more time than I thought it would.
    I also received a lot of excellent guidance from the regulars of this
    group. I couldn't have done it by myself.

    I also a bought a 900+ pages book (obviously crap, too)

    I wish you could have started in a different manner.
    Now all I can say is the name of a movie that I have in my database:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsit...listing_link=y

    P.S. Your rediculous and crappy email address needs to be forced in
    slrn. But you probably have no idea what that means either.

    Vahis
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  15. Re: Mysql

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? schrieb:
    >Their instructions are crap. I follow them and it don't work. It's crap.

    you need only MySql?
    Or PHP too?
    In this case try phpMyAdmin on an local webserver (apache + mysql)
    There you can administrate your entire mysql-configuration.

    Gruß
    Arno

    --
    Früher oder später emulieren wir euch..........
    __

  16. Re: Mysql

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:

    > Vahis wrote:
    >> On 2008-03-28, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Why do I get this with mysqlshow?
    >>> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    >>> password: NO)
    >>> and as root:
    >>> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
    >>> YES) why can't I access my own system?
    >>>

    >> You will have more questions like this.
    >> I know from (recent) experience
    >>
    >> So I recomment this:
    >>
    >> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html
    >>
    >> In case of another MySQL version there are links on the left there.
    >>

    >> Vahis

    > Their instructions are crap. I follow them and it don't work. It's crap.

    I have an excellent accounting program called Nolo Accounting complete with
    inventory tracking that uses both MySql and MyPHPAdministrator. I followed
    the instructions in the documentation that comes with OpenSuse 10.3 and got
    them working perfectly. In fact the methodology and instructions were far
    easier to use than in any Windows environment I've used.

    Why not tell us what you tried and what failed? Did you want help, or did
    you just come to pitch a bitch?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  17. Re: Mysql

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >
    >> Vahis wrote:

    >>> You will have more questions like this.
    >>> I know from (recent) experience
    >>>
    >>> So I recomment this:
    >>>
    >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html
    >>>
    >>> In case of another MySQL version there are links on the left there.
    >>>

    >>> Vahis

    >> Their instructions are crap. I follow them and it don't work. It's crap.
    >>

    > I have an excellent accounting program called Nolo Accounting complete with
    > inventory tracking that uses both MySql and MyPHPAdministrator. I followed
    > the instructions in the documentation that comes with OpenSuse 10.3 and got
    > them working perfectly. In fact the methodology and instructions were far
    > easier to use than in any Windows environment I've used.
    >
    > Why not tell us what you tried and what failed? Did you want help, or did
    > you just come to pitch a bitch?

    Why do I get this with mysqlshow?
    mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    password: NO)
    and as root:
    mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    why can't I access my own system?

    I can't even access the dam thing from the get go.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  18. Re: Mysql

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:-

    >Why do I get this with mysqlshow?

    No idea. I don't use it.

    >mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
    >password: NO)

    Did you "create" a user with access to the database without a password?

    >and as root:
    >mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

    Either the root user doesn't have a password configured, or you've
    entered the wrong one. Try using a console and use mysql:

    mysql -h localhost -u root

    This will try to log you in without a password. If it fails, try:

    mysql -h localhost -u root -p

    You'll be asked to enter the password for root[0].

    >why can't I access my own system?

    Because you aren't entering the correct details. Try the above, and see

    [0] IIRC, when you start up the mysql daemon for the first time, it asks
    you to set a password for user root at localhost and also for
    root@your.host.name using /usr/bin/mysqladmin. If you haven't done very
    much you might be lucky and find that command, including the password
    you set, in your bash history.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  19. Re: Mysql

    Vahis wrote:

    ----------------------------------------------snip------------------------------------
    > I wish you could have started in a different manner.
    > Now all I can say is the name of a movie that I have in my database:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsit...listing_link=y

    > P.S. Your rediculous and crappy email address needs to be forced in
    > slrn. But you probably have no idea what that means either.
    >
    > Vahis

    Thanks for the hilarious post ! I'm LOL right now.... ;-)

    Obviously the group has helped you as your site is quite functional. Good
    work. If only newbies would learn not to bitch to get help (i.e. attention
    in this case). You have asked and received many times and I'm sure you'll
    agree that intelligent questions (usually) get intelligent answers.

    Again, good work on your (it aint crappy) MySQl enabled site. You've done
    well. Congratulations.

    PHP, MySQL, Linux, SuSE & Vahis rock.

  20. Re: Mysql

    David Bolt wrote:
    > [0] IIRC, when you start up the mysql daemon for the first time, it asks
    > you to set a password for user root at localhost and also for
    > root@your.host.name using /usr/bin/mysqladmin. If you haven't done very
    > much you might be lucky and find that command, including the password
    > you set, in your bash history.

    The confusion comes from the fact that the user `root` on a system is
    a user that has access to everything, while this is not true for a user
    `root` in MySQL.

    There the user can be anybody, including `root` or `mysql_root` or
    `anything_you_desire` and there has to be no relation perse between the
    users on the system and the users in MySQL.
    Even worse is that MySQL can work perfectly without the yser 'root' in
    MySQL and on some places I read that having 'root' in MySQL could be a
    security problem.

    Setting MySQL up is not the most logical thing to do. Hence bug #347149
    Took me a long time to grasp that as well.

    houghi
    --
    They say pesticides have been linked to low sperm counts.
    In my opinion if you have bugs down there that are so bad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast