Lenovo x300 - Suse

This is a discussion on Lenovo x300 - Suse ; Hi All, I just got my hands on a Lenovo X300. It has a solid state driver at 64GB instead of a conventional HD. Of course I'd like to get opensuse up and running on the laptop. I read somewhere ...

  1. Lenovo x300

    Hi All,

    I just got my hands on a Lenovo X300. It has a solid state driver at
    64GB instead of a conventional HD. Of course I'd like to get opensuse up
    and running on the laptop. I read somewhere that you should not use a
    SWAP partition to extend the lifetime of the solid state drive. Anyone
    has any idea if this is true for the drive included in the x300. Also
    pointers to get the x300 working smooth would be appreciated?

    Thanks

    Wodans

  2. Re: Lenovo x300

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:21:42 -0400, Wodans wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just got my hands on a Lenovo X300. It has a solid state driver at
    > 64GB instead of a conventional HD. Of course I'd like to get opensuse up
    > and running on the laptop. I read somewhere that you should not use a
    > SWAP partition to extend the lifetime of the solid state drive. Anyone
    > has any idea if this is true for the drive included in the x300. Also
    > pointers to get the x300 working smooth would be appreciated?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wodans

    Flash memory can be rewritten a finite number of times. If you have
    enough RAM, you should not need to swap anyway - a normal system with
    sufficient resources does not swap.

  3. Re: Lenovo x300

    Wodans wrote:
    >Hi All,

    >I just got my hands on a Lenovo X300. It has a solid state driver at
    >64GB instead of a conventional HD. Of course I'd like to get opensuse up
    >and running on the laptop. I read somewhere that you should not use a
    >SWAP partition to extend the lifetime of the solid state drive. Anyone
    >has any idea if this is true for the drive included in the x300. Also
    >pointers to get the x300 working smooth would be appreciated?

    There is a limit as to how many times solid state memory can
    be written to. It is a large number and nobody knows how large
    (yet).

    To be on the safe side, if you have 1 gig of memory or more you
    very likely don't need swap space unless you deal in VERY large
    chunks of data.

    Second, turn of the writing of last access times to the "disk".
    One of the things linux and other un*x type systems do is keep
    a last accessed time for each file. Thus every time you use
    a file the last access time is incremented. Common system files
    take a beating in this.

    Those are the two major things I've heard about folks doing.

    This will all be better known in the future as it seems to me
    that solid state hard drives are the wave of the future. I've
    got an Asus eeePC with a 4 gig "hard drive" and space for a
    Secure Digital card. I put an 8 gig SD card in that. My
    thinking is that I will set things up so that the removable
    8 gig SD card gets used up first.

    But these are not the only such machines coming to the market.
    I do think that all major distros will, in a year or so, have
    distros for solid state drive machines. They will lose a lot
    of the current bloat in doing so.

    By the way, openSUSE already has such a thing. It is unofficial
    but available on the openSUSE site.

    http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC

    or Google for "eeeSUSE".

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  4. Re: Lenovo x300

    On 27 Mar, 00:21, Wodans wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just got my hands on a Lenovo X300. It has a solid state driver at
    > 64GB instead of a conventional HD. Of course I'd like to get opensuse up
    > and running on the laptop. I read somewhere that you should not use a
    > SWAP partition to extend the lifetime of the solid state drive. Anyone
    > has any idea if this is true for the drive included in the x300. Also
    > pointers to get the x300 working smooth would be appreciated?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wodans

    dont forget to install it on ext2 partitions with noatime argument
    (?).
    anyway: about saving ssd read eeepc forums ;p

  5. Re: Lenovo x300

    An update regarding my progress with the x300.

    Most things work out of the box (opensuse 10.3 Live KDE). The install
    went fine. The laptop is very responsive and feels "snappy".

    The downside is that sound doesn't work (there is a thread about that
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...26a6270a0720dc).
    I've not been able to get sound working yet.

    I cannot set the brightness using the FN keys - no solution yet.
    Suspend to disk or RAM doesn't work - The same link as above had some
    suggestions for resolving that.

    The built in webcam doesn't work - I've not fix this yet.

    Anyways, if you had any luck with these issues - please let me know how
    you got it resolved.

    I would love to have a fully functional opensuse install on the laptop.

    Cheers

    Wodans

    Wodans wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just got my hands on a Lenovo X300. It has a solid state driver at
    > 64GB instead of a conventional HD. Of course I'd like to get opensuse up
    > and running on the laptop. I read somewhere that you should not use a
    > SWAP partition to extend the lifetime of the solid state drive. Anyone
    > has any idea if this is true for the drive included in the x300. Also
    > pointers to get the x300 working smooth would be appreciated?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wodans

+ Reply to Thread