Installation of Suse 10.3 trouble - Suse

This is a discussion on Installation of Suse 10.3 trouble - Suse ; Hi, I had Suse 10.2 installed on a computer with following specs: Mainboard: ECS RS482-M Memory: 2 GB Ram Harddisk: more than 1 TB I used the videocard on the mainboard. As i had problems with 10.2, i desided to ...

  1. Installation of Suse 10.3 trouble

    Hi,
    I had Suse 10.2 installed on a computer with following specs:
    Mainboard: ECS RS482-M
    Memory: 2 GB Ram
    Harddisk: more than 1 TB
    I used the videocard on the mainboard.

    As i had problems with 10.2, i desided to try 10.3.

    Installation worked fine and everything was configured.
    But when the computer started after installation was completed, screen went
    dead. The system started, because the the speakers gave the welcome melody
    and the hard drive lights flashed as usual during startup.

    The funny thing is that i get the booting on screen as normal, but when x is
    starting screen goes dead.

    Can anyone help.

    AH

  2. Re: Installation of Suse 10.3 trouble

    Arne Bjørn Henriksen wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I had Suse 10.2 installed on a computer with following specs:
    > Mainboard: ECS RS482-M
    > Memory: 2 GB Ram
    > Harddisk: more than 1 TB
    > I used the videocard on the mainboard.
    >
    > As i had problems with 10.2, i desided to try 10.3.
    >
    > Installation worked fine and everything was configured.
    > But when the computer started after installation was completed, screen went
    > dead. The system started, because the the speakers gave the welcome melody
    > and the hard drive lights flashed as usual during startup.
    >
    > The funny thing is that i get the booting on screen as normal, but when x is
    > starting screen goes dead.
    >
    > Can anyone help.
    >
    > AH

    I do not have a ATI graphic but try:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q....3&btnG=Search

    Uwe

  3. Re: Installation of Suse 10.3 trouble

    On 2008-03-26 23:28, Arne Bjørn Henriksen wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I had Suse 10.2 installed on a computer with following specs:
    > Mainboard: ECS RS482-M
    > Memory: 2 GB Ram
    > Harddisk: more than 1 TB
    > I used the videocard on the mainboard.
    >
    > As i had problems with 10.2, i desided to try 10.3.
    >
    > Installation worked fine and everything was configured.
    > But when the computer started after installation was completed, screen went
    > dead. The system started, because the the speakers gave the welcome melody
    > and the hard drive lights flashed as usual during startup.
    >
    > The funny thing is that i get the booting on screen as normal, but whenx is
    > starting screen goes dead.
    >
    > Can anyone help.
    >
    > AH

    When you get your grub menu and your line Suse10.3 is selected, type the digit 3
    and you will see that on the options line

    The machine will boot in text mode.

    Login as root
    do:
    cd /etc/X11
    cp xorg.conf{,save}
    cp xorg.conf{.install,}

    (that will save your current xorg.conf as xorg.conf.save,
    and then copy xorg.conf.install to xorg.conf )

    Then do:
    init 5

    Now you should get X up in vga safe settings, and you can use YaST2 hardware
    info to figure out your hardware. A fast google gave me ATI Radeon Xpress 200,
    so you need to open Yast2 software and click on Community Repositories.
    There add ATI , then go to Software Management and install the drivers.
    With some good luck, the drivers are written so even other hardware then the ATI
    will work in your machine, but ATI is known to write drivers that corruptyour
    kernel and make the system useless, but that is going to change when theyjust
    give the specs to real kernel hackers.

    This is not only a linux problem, the same goes for vista.
    One day they will learn to keep their secrets in onboard firmware and only use
    documented API's on the OS level, so things can work and we users have free and
    open drivers, but I don't think we are there yet.

    /bb

  4. Re: Installation of Suse 10.3 trouble

    Uwe Grauer wrote:

    > Arne Bjørn Henriksen wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I had Suse 10.2 installed on a computer with following specs:
    >> Mainboard: ECS RS482-M
    >> Memory: 2 GB Ram
    >> Harddisk: more than 1 TB
    >> I used the videocard on the mainboard.
    >>
    >> As i had problems with 10.2, i desided to try 10.3.
    >>
    >> Installation worked fine and everything was configured.
    >> But when the computer started after installation was completed, screen
    >> went
    >> dead. The system started, because the the speakers gave the welcome
    >> melody and the hard drive lights flashed as usual during startup.
    >>
    >> The funny thing is that i get the booting on screen as normal, but when x
    >> is starting screen goes dead.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help.
    >>
    >> AH

    > I do not have a ATI graphic but try:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q....3&btnG=Search

    > Uwe

    It took me a lot of effort to get this to work, but finally i', ok.
    Thanks alot for the help.

    AH

+ Reply to Thread