Mount encrypted partition with exec - Suse

This is a discussion on Mount encrypted partition with exec - Suse ; Hello all, Anyone know how to add the exec flag to an encrypted partition in openSUSE 10.3? I have specified 'exec' as an additional flag in Yast->Parititoner but it doesn't see to take effect. I currently have to issue a ...

  1. Mount encrypted partition with exec

    Hello all,

    Anyone know how to add the exec flag to an encrypted partition in openSUSE
    10.3? I have specified 'exec' as an additional flag in Yast->Parititoner
    but it doesn't see to take effect. I currently have to issue a remount
    command:
    sudo mount -o remount,exec /encrypted

    In openSUSE 10.2 I simply added 'exec' to the entry in /etc/cryptotab but in
    10.3 the process has changed. There are two files now /etc/crypttab
    and /etc/fstab. I added 'exec' in fstab, but it seems to be ignored.

    Thanks

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: Mount encrypted partition with exec

    Chris wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Anyone know how to add the exec flag to an encrypted partition in openSUSE
    > 10.3? I have specified 'exec' as an additional flag in Yast->Parititoner
    > but it doesn't see to take effect. I currently have to issue a remount
    > command:
    > sudo mount -o remount,exec /encrypted
    >
    > In openSUSE 10.2 I simply added 'exec' to the entry in /etc/cryptotab but
    > in 10.3 the process has changed. There are two files now /etc/crypttab
    > and /etc/fstab. I added 'exec' in fstab, but it seems to be ignored.
    >
    > Thanks

    Answering my own post in the hopes this will help someone googling the same
    problem.

    I have the option 'user' specified in /etc/fstab as the last option and I
    put exec before user. According to mount's manpage, user implies noexec,
    nosuid and nodev.

    So, the solution is to place 'user' as the first option then specify
    the 'exec' to override the noexec that user implies.

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread