Postfix + LDAP - Suse

This is a discussion on Postfix + LDAP - Suse ; I am trying to install a program (front account) for testing purposes. The setup requires a valid email address, hence I am trying to configure Postfix. Postfix requires an LDAP server. So I'm attempting to configure LDAP using Yast. Now ...

  1. Postfix + LDAP

    I am trying to install a program (front account) for testing purposes. The
    setup requires a valid email address, hence I am trying to configure
    Postfix. Postfix requires an LDAP server. So I'm attempting to configure
    LDAP using Yast. Now I've made a few assumptions and I hope someone can
    clarify these assumptions.

    First, is it necessary to have LDAP set up in order to use Postfix? Second,
    do I need to have a registered domain to use LDAP ?

    I've been reading documentation regarding both LDAP & Postfix but I'm just
    getting more confused. I don't have a registered domain at this time but
    I'd still like to get Postfix working. Is this possible ? I have a couple
    of other applications that also require a 'valid' email address but I do
    NOT want to use the email address provided by my ISP as this would create
    (perhaps) a lot of mail messages being sent to my ISP's mail server from
    these applications which may contain information I do not want sent over
    the internet..

    So I'm asking if I can set up Postfix on my local server without a 'valid'
    domain name ? Any pointers to an article(s) on how I can do this on my 10.3
    setup or better yet an actual example of how you did it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Confused (aka Michael Soibelman)

    P.S. Any pointers, suggestions, examples of how to set up LDAP would also
    be welcomed. I've already use Yast for this but I don't think I did it
    right. I better duck or I might get hit by that slapd... LOL ;-)

  2. Re: Postfix + LDAP

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >I am trying to install a program (front account) for testing purposes. The
    >setup requires a valid email address, hence I am trying to configure
    >Postfix. Postfix requires an LDAP server. So I'm attempting to configure

    Postfix doesn't _require_ an LDAP server. It can use one.

    If you want an address for something other than real users, then set
    up virtual addresses. It's described in the Postfix documentation.

    Even easier is /etc/aliases; directing test mails to real users,
    piping to processes or appending to files. Add a line, run
    newaliases and it just works.

    >LDAP using Yast. Now I've made a few assumptions and I hope someone can
    >clarify these assumptions.

    >First, is it necessary to have LDAP set up in order to use Postfix? Second,
    >do I need to have a registered domain to use LDAP ?

    1. No.
    2. No.

    >I've been reading documentation regarding both LDAP & Postfix but I'm just
    >getting more confused. I don't have a registered domain at this time but

    Just read the Postfix docs. Not the bits about LDAP in the Postfix
    docs.

    There is no point in setting up LDAP just for Postfix. It's not a
    trivial amount of work and it's unnecessary.
    \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Great minds discuss ideas;
    X against HTML mail | Average minds discuss events;
    / \ and postings | Small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

  3. Re: Postfix + LDAP

    Bernd Felsche wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to install a program (front account) for testing purposes.
    >>The setup requires a valid email address, hence I am trying to configure
    >>Postfix. Postfix requires an LDAP server. So I'm attempting to configure

    > Postfix doesn't _require_ an LDAP server. It can use one.
    >
    > If you want an address for something other than real users, then set
    > up virtual addresses. It's described in the Postfix documentation.
    >
    > Even easier is /etc/aliases; directing test mails to real users,
    > piping to processes or appending to files. Add a line, run
    > newaliases and it just works.
    >
    >>LDAP using Yast. Now I've made a few assumptions and I hope someone can
    >>clarify these assumptions.

    >>First, is it necessary to have LDAP set up in order to use Postfix?
    >>Second, do I need to have a registered domain to use LDAP ?

    > 1. No.
    > 2. No.
    >
    >>I've been reading documentation regarding both LDAP & Postfix but I'm
    >>just
    >>getting more confused. I don't have a registered domain at this time but

    > Just read the Postfix docs. Not the bits about LDAP in the Postfix
    > docs.
    >
    > There is no point in setting up LDAP just for Postfix. It's not a
    > trivial amount of work and it's unnecessary.

    Thank you for clarifying this. I started by reading the LDAP docs instead
    of the postfix docs. I guess I got off to a bad start.

    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread