un ereisable thumb drive - Suse

This is a discussion on un ereisable thumb drive - Suse ; Please don't laugh at me!!! I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick) It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full of GIF and jpg images I want DELETED! One directory ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: un ereisable thumb drive

  1. un ereisable thumb drive

    Please don't laugh at me!!!

    I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick)

    It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full of
    GIF and jpg images I want DELETED!

    One directory is about 500 megs the other is about 30 megs.

    I have tried almost everything! and NOTHING will erase them.
    I even went "SU" and nothing!

    Any of you experts have any suggestions?

    I even used something "File manager Super User Mode" and NOTHING!

    What can I use before I toss this memory stick?

    Thanks,

    RR


  2. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    On 2008-03-25, Riberto wrote:
    > Please don't laugh at me!!!
    >
    > I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick)
    >
    > It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full of
    > GIF and jpg images I want DELETED!
    >
    > One directory is about 500 megs the other is about 30 megs.
    >
    > I have tried almost everything! and NOTHING will erase them.
    > I even went "SU" and nothing!


    Are you sure the drive is mounted r/w? Can you create a file, for instance?




    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    Riberto wrote:

    > Please don't laugh at me!!!
    >
    > I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick)
    >
    > It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full of
    > GIF and jpg images I want DELETED!
    >
    > One directory is about 500 megs the other is about 30 megs.
    >
    > I have tried almost everything! and NOTHING will erase them.
    > I even went "SU" and nothing!
    >
    > Any of you experts have any suggestions?
    >
    > I even used something "File manager Super User Mode" and NOTHING!
    >
    > What can I use before I toss this memory stick?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > RR


    My USB Stick has a slider on the side to write protect it - perhaps yours
    does as well

    Paul

  4. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:49:11 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Riberto wrote:
    >> Please don't laugh at me!!!
    >>
    >> I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick)
    >>
    >> It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full
    >> of GIF and jpg images I want DELETED!
    >>
    >> One directory is about 500 megs the other is about 30 megs.
    >>
    >> I have tried almost everything! and NOTHING will erase them. I even
    >> went "SU" and nothing!
    >>
    >> Any of you experts have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> I even used something "File manager Super User Mode" and NOTHING!
    >>
    >> What can I use before I toss this memory stick?

    >
    > What filesystem has it been formatted with? How did you create the
    > files in it in the first place? Can it be it's formatted with NTFS and
    > you used a Windows PC to create the files?


    UPDATE

    These file were created using OpenSuse 10.3
    I just dragged the directory to the thumb drive and it all followed.

    I recently used an XP machine and WAS able to delete all files from one
    directory and then directory itself.

    The other directory has 11 files in it.
    These files ARE empty BUT I cannot erase them, or change their names or
    permissions.

    More to come....


  5. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:09:19 +0000, Riberto wrote:

    > Please don't laugh at me!!!
    >
    > I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick)
    >
    > It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full
    > of GIF and jpg images I want DELETED!
    >
    > One directory is about 500 megs the other is about 30 megs.
    >
    > I have tried almost everything! and NOTHING will erase them. I even
    > went "SU" and nothing!
    >
    > Any of you experts have any suggestions?
    >
    > I even used something "File manager Super User Mode" and NOTHING!
    >
    > What can I use before I toss this memory stick?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > RR


    You're right. SU would not do anything. However if you use root access
    (either 'su' or sudo - if it's set up) simply cd to the top of the
    directory tree on the drive and do 'rm -rf *'.

  6. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    Riberto wrote:
    > Please don't laugh at me!!!
    >
    > I have a 4 gig thumb drive (PNY Memory Stick)
    >
    > It it I have a directory called News and it has 2 sub directories full of
    > GIF and jpg images I want DELETED!
    >
    > One directory is about 500 megs the other is about 30 megs.
    >
    > I have tried almost everything! and NOTHING will erase them.
    > I even went "SU" and nothing!
    >
    > Any of you experts have any suggestions?
    >
    > I even used something "File manager Super User Mode" and NOTHING!
    >
    > What can I use before I toss this memory stick?


    What filesystem has it been formatted with? How did you create the
    files in it in the first place? Can it be it's formatted with NTFS and
    you used a Windows PC to create the files?

  7. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    Riberto wrote:
    > UPDATE
    >
    > These file were created using OpenSuse 10.3
    > I just dragged the directory to the thumb drive and it all followed.
    >
    > I recently used an XP machine and WAS able to delete all files from one
    > directory and then directory itself.


    So that leaves with either NTFS or FAT as filesystem. In the case of
    NTFS, the default NTFS-driver is half-assed. You have to use ntfs-3g
    for full write support.

    In the case of FAT... no idea. :P Should work. If it doesn't, copy all
    the files to HD, format the thing again and move the files back. Should
    be a 5 minute process.

  8. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:44:34 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Riberto wrote:
    >> UPDATE
    >>
    >> These file were created using OpenSuse 10.3 I just dragged the
    >> directory to the thumb drive and it all followed.
    >>
    >> I recently used an XP machine and WAS able to delete all files from one
    >> directory and then directory itself.

    >
    > So that leaves with either NTFS or FAT as filesystem. In the case of
    > NTFS, the default NTFS-driver is half-assed. You have to use ntfs-3g
    > for full write support.
    >
    > In the case of FAT... no idea. :P Should work. If it doesn't, copy all
    > the files to HD, format the thing again and move the files back. Should
    > be a 5 minute process.


    I can't believe this!

    Went in as root and it would allow me to move a SINGLE file to the trash.

    I could NOT change names, permissions or erase anything else in the
    directory. I would then empty out the trash bin, and remove the thumb
    drive. I would then allow me to re-insert it and remove another file.
    I would then empty out the trash bin and remove the usb thumb drive and
    repeated the process until ALL files were HISTORY!

    Of course I then erased the now empty directories as well.

    Yes I know there has to be a command to format this darn thing and one of
    these days I will LEARN IT!

    Until then, I GOTTA GET A LIFE!

    THANK YOU all so much.

    Cordially,

    riberto


  9. Re: un ereisable thumb drive

    Riberto wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:44:34 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >
    >> Riberto wrote:
    >>> UPDATE
    >>>
    >>> These file were created using OpenSuse 10.3 I just dragged the
    >>> directory to the thumb drive and it all followed.
    >>>
    >>> I recently used an XP machine and WAS able to delete all files from one
    >>> directory and then directory itself.

    >>
    >> So that leaves with either NTFS or FAT as filesystem. In the case of
    >> NTFS, the default NTFS-driver is half-assed. You have to use ntfs-3g
    >> for full write support.
    >>
    >> In the case of FAT... no idea. :P Should work. If it doesn't, copy all
    >> the files to HD, format the thing again and move the files back. Should
    >> be a 5 minute process.

    >
    > I can't believe this!
    >
    > Went in as root and it would allow me to move a SINGLE file to the trash.
    >
    > I could NOT change names, permissions or erase anything else in the
    > directory. I would then empty out the trash bin, and remove the thumb
    > drive. I would then allow me to re-insert it and remove another file.
    > I would then empty out the trash bin and remove the usb thumb drive and
    > repeated the process until ALL files were HISTORY!
    >
    > Of course I then erased the now empty directories as well.
    >
    > Yes I know there has to be a command to format this darn thing and one of
    > these days I will LEARN IT!
    >


    Look at the makebootfat utility that comes on the OpenSuse repositories.

    > Until then, I GOTTA GET A LIFE!
    >
    > THANK YOU all so much.
    >
    > Cordially,
    >
    > riberto


    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

+ Reply to Thread