RE: Sharepoint Services - Suse

This is a discussion on RE: Sharepoint Services - Suse ; Jim Carter asked a question about Sharepoint services for (OpenSuSE) Linux. This is the response I jusr received from Novell. Features of MS Sharepoint are not under the control of Novell. MS-SPoint is a Microsoft product, therefore they control all ...

  1. RE: Sharepoint Services

    Jim Carter asked a question about Sharepoint services for (OpenSuSE) Linux.
    This is the response I jusr received from Novell.

    Features of MS Sharepoint are not under the control of Novell. MS-SPoint is
    a Microsoft
    product, therefore they control all features of their product, including
    what MS-SP uses
    and will work with as clients.

    Currently it seems that MS-SP is heavily dependent upon Active-X technology
    and IE is the only
    browser with this technology and IE will not run natively on a Linux/Unix
    system. It seems that
    MS-SP will work with Firefox (and therefore all Novell Linux products), but
    in a limited fashion.
    You would go to Microsoft in order to learn the limits of this
    functionality.
    http://www.washington.edu/computing/...n-win-faq.html

    To be noted, IE can be made to run inside of CrossOver from
    www.codeweavers.com (an emulation
    program) on top of SLED. But whether this will support MS-SP in this
    emulated environment is once
    again a question to put to Microsoft.

    Finally, Novell offers an Open Standards version of MS-SP in the form of
    Novell's Teaming and Conferencing
    that will work with any browser, and therefore any OS that can run any
    browser.

    http://www.novell.com/products/teaming/

    Regards,
    Rick Holzer

    Hope this clarifies the issue.

  2. Re: Sharepoint Services

    > Currently it seems that MS-SP is heavily dependent upon Active-X technology
    > and IE is the only
    > browser with this technology and IE will not run natively on a Linux/Unix
    > system. It seems that
    > MS-SP will work with Firefox (and therefore all Novell Linux products), but
    > in a limited fashion.

    Interestingly, in at least the Sharepoint 2003 version, there isn't a single
    feature I can think of that would normally require Active-X. I'm told
    Sharepoint 07 is quite a bit better, and maybe ActiveX is required to provide
    some of the functionality. But the 2003 version could be implemented in
    straight Javascript and HTML, and in fact is quite a bit less sophisticated
    than the functionality provided by Joomla natively.

+ Reply to Thread