timeout for screensaver - Suse

This is a discussion on timeout for screensaver - Suse ; Hi, Is there a shell variable i can read that tells me the time how long ago the last human interaction with the system took place, i.e. mouse movment or key press to start a screen saver or something. Anyone ...

  1. timeout for screensaver

    Hi,

    Is there a shell variable i can read that tells me the time how long ago the
    last human interaction with the system took place, i.e. mouse movment or
    key press to start a screen saver or something.
    Anyone an idea?

    Thanks!
    Ron
    --
    chEErs roN

  2. Re: timeout for screensaver

    Ron Eggler wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a shell variable i can read that tells me the time how long ago
    > the last human interaction with the system took place, i.e. mouse movment
    > or key press to start a screen saver or something.
    > Anyone an idea?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Ron

    Don't think a shell variable is available for this, but there are several
    scripts in python or other languages available for doing this. take a look
    in the source code of xscreensaver. Watch.sourceforge.net. has perhaps what
    you need and can be easily used in bash scripts.
    Taco

  3. Re: timeout for screensaver

    Ron Eggler writes:

    >Hi,

    >Is there a shell variable i can read that tells me the time how long ago the
    >last human interaction with the system took place, i.e. mouse movment or
    >key press to start a screen saver or something.
    >Anyone an idea?

    No. Of course as soon as you try to read that shell veriable you will have
    had interaction with the system.
    Anyway, you can look at
    that might give you the info you want.

    >Thanks!