NIC and USB to Ethernet - Suse

This is a discussion on NIC and USB to Ethernet - Suse ; Hi, I have an old laptop with openSUSE 10.2 and want to use it as a firewall, since the laptop has only one Ethernet connection I used a USB to Ethernet adapter from D-Link which is supported. When I use ...

  1. NIC and USB to Ethernet

    Hi,

    I have an old laptop with openSUSE 10.2 and want to use it as a
    firewall, since the laptop has only one Ethernet connection I used a
    USB to Ethernet adapter from D-Link which is supported.

    When I use the USB to Ethernet adapter by itself it works perfect, but
    when I configure both, the USB to Ethernet apapter will not get its IP-
    Address assigned.

    following are the messages I get in the boot.msg:
    eth0 device: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet
    Adapter (rev 11)
    eth0 is controlled by ifplugd waiting
    eth1
    eth1 is controlled by ifplugd waiting
    eth0 device: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet
    Adapter (rev 11)
    eth0 ifplugd is running
    eth0 cable is connected
    eth0 has lesser priority than 'eth1'
    eth0 IP address: 203.11.117.30/24 done
    eth1
    eth1 ifplugd is running
    eth1 cable is connected
    eth1 has lesser priority than 'eth0'
    eth1 dhcpcd is still waiting for data

    doneSetting up service
    network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .done

    It is the same if I assigned a fixed Ip-Address to it. Anyone has any
    experience with this and any ideas on getting it working. By the way
    it works perfect in Ubuntu.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Horst

  2. Re: NIC and USB to Ethernet

    hsimon@optusnet.com.au wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old laptop with openSUSE 10.2 and want to use it as a
    > firewall, since the laptop has only one Ethernet connection I used a
    > USB to Ethernet adapter from D-Link which is supported.
    >
    > When I use the USB to Ethernet adapter by itself it works perfect, but
    > when I configure both, the USB to Ethernet apapter will not get its IP-
    > Address assigned.
    >
    > following are the messages I get in the boot.msg:
    > eth0 device: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet
    > Adapter (rev 11)
    > eth0 is controlled by ifplugd waiting
    > eth1
    > eth1 is controlled by ifplugd waiting
    > eth0 device: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet
    > Adapter (rev 11)
    > eth0 ifplugd is running
    > eth0 cable is connected
    > eth0 has lesser priority than 'eth1'
    > eth0 IP address: 203.11.117.30/24 done
    > eth1
    > eth1 ifplugd is running
    > eth1 cable is connected
    > eth1 has lesser priority than 'eth0'
    > eth1 dhcpcd is still waiting for data
    >
    > doneSetting up service
    > network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .done
    >
    > It is the same if I assigned a fixed Ip-Address to it. Anyone has any
    > experience with this and any ideas on getting it working. By the way
    > it works perfect in Ubuntu.

    Most likely you have to configure each interface to "Start at boot", Now it
    is "If plugged in" in which case there is a priority attached to each
    interface and only the one with the highest priority will become active.
    Look at that parameter in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-*

    --
    Freek

+ Reply to Thread