HP DL 180 Server - Suse

This is a discussion on HP DL 180 Server - Suse ; Hi, I am trying to install open SUSE 10.2 from the DVD to a HP DL180 server. GNU/Linux does not seem to have a driver for the SAS harddisk controller. But I find that it is certified to run RHEL ...

  1. HP DL 180 Server

    Hi,
    I am trying to install open SUSE 10.2 from the DVD to a HP DL180
    server. GNU/Linux does not seem to have a driver for the SAS harddisk
    controller. But I find that it is certified to run RHEL 5 as well as
    SUSE 10.x on it. I also find that drivers have been provided for both
    on the HP Support and Documentation CD that is provided with the
    server machine.
    I would like to know if I can use the driver provided for SUSE
    Enterprise Linux 10.x with openSUSE 10.2 and if so how do I go about
    creating a driver disk with it that I can install during the main
    openSUSE 10.2 installation?
    Thanks
    Ashraf

  2. Re: HP DL 180 Server

    kmashraf@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am trying to install open SUSE 10.2 from the DVD to a HP DL180
    > server. GNU/Linux does not seem to have a driver for the SAS harddisk
    > controller. But I find that it is certified to run RHEL 5 as well as
    > SUSE 10.x on it.

    It is certified for SLES9/10, not for the community editions ;-)
    Support for 10.2 runs out in a few months which makes it unattractive
    for a fresh server installation.

    > I also find that drivers have been provided for both
    > on the HP Support and Documentation CD that is provided with the
    > server machine.
    > I would like to know if I can use the driver provided for SUSE
    > Enterprise Linux 10.x with openSUSE 10.2 and if so how do I go about
    > creating a driver disk with it that I can install during the main
    > openSUSE 10.2 installation?

    Did you try SLES10? It is available for free for evaluation. If it
    works you might take the modules for the controller from there. Simply
    follow the instructions in the openSuSE documentation on how to load
    additional kernel modules during installation.

    GŁnther

  3. Re: HP DL 180 Server

    kmashraf@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to install open SUSE 10.2 from the DVD to a HP DL180
    > server. GNU/Linux does not seem to have a driver for the SAS harddisk
    > controller. But I find that it is certified to run RHEL 5 as well as
    > SUSE 10.x on it. I also find that drivers have been provided for both
    > on the HP Support and Documentation CD that is provided with the
    > server machine.

    First... you need to always specify generation with regards
    to HP/Compaq equipment. It is likely that you mean the
    DL180 G5 (the G5 is important).

    > I would like to know if I can use the driver provided for SUSE
    > Enterprise Linux 10.x with openSUSE 10.2 and if so how do I go about
    > creating a driver disk with it that I can install during the main
    > openSUSE 10.2 installation?

    Any reason for using openSUSE 10.2? Why not 10.3? Or SLES?
    If you do decide to go with SLES10, make sure you boot using
    the latest SP disk... otherwise you may not be able to
    find the disks.

    I have done a SLES 10 install on a G5 system (a DL380 G5),
    but I would think they are similar. It defaults to an E200
    cciss controller. I don't remember having to install a
    driver beforehand, but it is possible. I believe even with
    openSUSE there is an opportunity to drop in a driver, but
    HP will likely only provide one for SLES and not openSUSE.
    It's also very likely that openSUSE 10.3 already has the
    driver built in... if you just have to go with a short
    term solution like openSUSE. It's also likely (though not
    as likely) that the latest SP level of SLES 10 would have
    the driver).

    All I know is that it wasn't difficult getting SLES 10 on
    a DL380 G5.

+ Reply to Thread