Dual Boot laptop advice please?? - Suse

This is a discussion on Dual Boot laptop advice please?? - Suse ; I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on each platform and while I have this currently working well on ...

  1. Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot
    system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on each
    platform and while I have this currently working well on my desktop at
    work (even though windows is becoming less used all the time thankfully),
    it would be nice to have this portable to take with me to conferences and
    demos.

    One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware compatibility
    and as such would like some advice on fairly recent high spec machines
    that would be handled in the hardware drivers currently available. Does
    anyone have any advice or suggestions of what would suit my needs best?

    I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get hold
    of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to use or
    should I wait till official release time? I am not the most experienced
    of linux users it must be said but cope with what I need to do.

    Cheers

  2. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    Mark Scott wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot
    > system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on each
    > platform and while I have this currently working well on my desktop at
    > work (even though windows is becoming less used all the time thankfully),
    > it would be nice to have this portable to take with me to conferences and
    > demos.
    >
    > One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware compatibility
    > and as such would like some advice on fairly recent high spec machines
    > that would be handled in the hardware drivers currently available. Does
    > anyone have any advice or suggestions of what would suit my needs best?
    >
    > I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get hold
    > of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to use or
    > should I wait till official release time? I am not the most experienced
    > of linux users it must be said but cope with what I need to do.
    >
    > Cheers

    10.3 runs great on my laptop. I dont' use wireless. As you know from
    your desktop, if you have windows already, install Opensuse will
    automatically create a boot manager to dual boot your OS's. You may want
    to investigate which laptops work best with Linux, not all do I suspect.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  3. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:47:10 -0400, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:

    > 10.3 runs great on my laptop. I dont' use wireless. As you know from
    > your desktop, if you have windows already, install Opensuse will
    > automatically create a boot manager to dual boot your OS's. You may want
    > to investigate which laptops work best with Linux, not all do I suspect.

    Yeah i'm hoping someone will recommend a laptop either brand or specific
    model that is known to have relatively few driver issues. I would like
    to have as much functionality as possible to be honest but realise that
    some things just won't work as intended.

    One make I have been thinking of was to get a Sony Vaio just for the sake
    of getting a good well known brand name that would probably get more
    support than a slightly cheaper unknown brand that no-one will ever want
    Linux on Also, for Video conferencing i'm quite keen to get an
    inbuilt camera and have the wireless workign but obviously these are going
    to be tricky to get to work.

    See if anyone gets back with any options to look for but if not then I
    will just have to take the plunge and deal with it as best I can.

  4. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:55:39 +0000, Mark Scott wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot
    > system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on
    > each platform and while I have this currently working well on my desktop
    > at work (even though windows is becoming less used all the time
    > thankfully), it would be nice to have this portable to take with me to
    > conferences and demos.
    >
    > One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware
    > compatibility and as such would like some advice on fairly recent high
    > spec machines that would be handled in the hardware drivers currently
    > available. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of what would
    > suit my needs best?

    1) IBM (now Lenovo) laptops have always been quite compatible.
    2) try a Live CD on what ever you are considering - you'll KNOW in short
    order.

    > I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get
    > hold of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to use
    > or should I wait till official release time? I am not the most
    > experienced of linux users it must be said but cope with what I need to
    > do.
    >
    > Cheers

  5. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    Mark Scott wrote:
    >I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot
    >system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on each
    >platform and while I have this currently working well on my desktop at
    >work (even though windows is becoming less used all the time thankfully),
    >it would be nice to have this portable to take with me to conferences and
    >demos.

    >One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware compatibility
    >and as such would like some advice on fairly recent high spec machines
    >that would be handled in the hardware drivers currently available. Does
    >anyone have any advice or suggestions of what would suit my needs best?

    >I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get hold
    >of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to use or
    >should I wait till official release time? I am not the most experienced
    >of linux users it must be said but cope with what I need to do.

    I can only tell you of my experiences. I have a Lenovo T61 with the
    1440x800 screen. It came with XP already loaded. openSUSE is now
    also installed. It shrank the XP disk space to my specifications
    and installed with no real glitches.

    Almost everything worked out of the box, including the wireless. There
    are two minor problems: the screen is not handled quite properly and
    it seems to be running at 1280 and being stretched to 1440. And yes,
    it is set up properly in Sax2. I find this no bother at all.

    The other is that I use it to run an overhead video slide projector.
    That works fine but the very nice built-in setup routine is not
    available. As it is, the overhead projection works but the computer
    screen goes blank whenever the projector is connected. Again, this
    is not much of a bother.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:55:39 +0000, Mark Scott wrote:

    >> One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware
    >> compatibility and as such would like some advice on fairly recent
    >> high spec machines that would be handled in the hardware drivers
    >> currently
    >> available. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of what
    >> would suit my needs best?

    > 1) IBM (now Lenovo) laptops have always been quite compatible.
    > 2) try a Live CD on what ever you are considering - you'll KNOW in
    > short order.

    I want to second that. But then this is not a convenient option on
    mailorder. Also a failing live CD does not mean that the distribution
    can not be configured to work when installed on hard disk.

    >> I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get
    >> hold of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to
    >> use or should I wait till official release time?

    10.3 should be fine for many notbooks with the current 'Santa Rosa'
    platform by Intel (GMA X3100 graphics and 4965AG WLAN). Avoid high end
    graphics and exotic WLAN hardware without reliable reports that they do
    work with openSuSE. Also check www.tuxmobile.org and be aware than
    notebook manufacturers tend to change hardware specifications without
    changing the model name ;-)

    G√ľnther

  7. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:52:34 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Mark Scott wrote:
    >>I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot
    >>system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on each
    >>platform and while I have this currently working well on my desktop at
    >>work (even though windows is becoming less used all the time thankfully),
    >>it would be nice to have this portable to take with me to conferences and
    >>demos.

    >>One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware compatibility
    >>and as such would like some advice on fairly recent high spec machines
    >>that would be handled in the hardware drivers currently available. Does
    >>anyone have any advice or suggestions of what would suit my needs best?

    >>I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get hold
    >>of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to use or
    >>should I wait till official release time? I am not the most experienced
    >>of linux users it must be said but cope with what I need to do.

    --snip --

    I'm running 10.2 and Windoze XP on an 3 year old HP laptop with an
    Athlon chip. It went on smoothly, touchpad works ok, etc. The only issue I
    have with it is trying to connect to a non-secure public wifi connection.
    Sometimes I have to play with settings to get it to hookup. On my secure
    network - WPA with key, works just fine.

    From what I've seen, most HP machines seem to play well with suse. I'm
    running it on 4 machines here at home, my best friend has it on 3 more and
    all is running smooth, networks ok, etc. The machines range from an old HP
    desktop with a celeron chip, thru a dual core 64 pentium.
    Unless you have some exotic hardware added I suspect you will not have any
    problem getting your new machine to work well.
    One thing I will suggest is a partition on the hard drive formatted in
    'fat' format even though there are file size issues. It makes a convenient
    place to store files (e.g. Openoffice documents) you want to use in both
    Windoze and Linux since ntfs (windows) directories are usually 'read only'
    in linux and ext3 (linux) partitions don't even appear in windows.

    HTH
    Ron

  8. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    Mark Scott wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:47:10 -0400, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >
    >> 10.3 runs great on my laptop. I dont' use wireless. As you know from
    >> your desktop, if you have windows already, install Opensuse will
    >> automatically create a boot manager to dual boot your OS's. You may want
    >> to investigate which laptops work best with Linux, not all do I suspect.

    > Yeah i'm hoping someone will recommend a laptop either brand or specific
    > model that is known to have relatively few driver issues. I would like
    > to have as much functionality as possible to be honest but realise that
    > some things just won't work as intended.
    >
    > One make I have been thinking of was to get a Sony Vaio just for the sake
    > of getting a good well known brand name that would probably get more
    > support than a slightly cheaper unknown brand that no-one will ever want
    > Linux on Also, for Video conferencing i'm quite keen to get an
    > inbuilt camera and have the wireless workign but obviously these are going
    > to be tricky to get to work.
    >
    > See if anyone gets back with any options to look for but if not then I
    > will just have to take the plunge and deal with it as best I can.

    I wondered about the same sort of thing, so I bought an IBM Thinkpad. IBM
    has a certain level of commitment to Linux, even in the mainframe arena. I
    did not expect any problems, and there were no problems of any kind with
    the notebook itself. However, this was probably more a matter of luck than
    anything else.

    The CPU it contains will not be an issue. The things to be concerned with
    are the peripheral devices built into the machine, such as the
    video "card", keyboard, and so on. Reputable manufacturers print
    specifications, and from them, you should be able to determine whether they
    will work before buying.

    Some things simply have to be built-in, but others do not. When possible, I
    prefer an "add-on" rather than a built-in. That way, you can (usually)
    confirm you have the necessary software support before buying.

    --
    Larry Bristol --- The Double Luck
    http://www.doubleluck.com

  9. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 at 12:55 GMT, Larry Bristol wrote:
    > Mark Scott wrote:
    >>
    >> Yeah i'm hoping someone will recommend a laptop either brand or specific
    >> model that is known to have relatively few driver issues. I would like
    >> to have as much functionality as possible to be honest but realise that
    >> some things just won't work as intended.
    >>
    >> One make I have been thinking of was to get a Sony Vaio just for the sake
    >> of getting a good well known brand name that would probably get more
    >> support than a slightly cheaper unknown brand that no-one will ever want
    >> Linux on Also, for Video conferencing i'm quite keen to get an
    >> inbuilt camera and have the wireless workign but obviously these are going
    >> to be tricky to get to work.

    Of all the laptops I'd recommend avoiding, the Vaios are at the top of the
    list with regard to Linux incompatabilities, which is a shame, since they are
    such beautiful pieces of equipment. Why not go with a laptop that comes with
    Linux already installed? That way you know it's been built with parts for
    which Linux drivers are available. I'm not a huge fan of Dell but the idea of
    one of their laptops coming installed with Ubuntu is attractive; if it can run
    Ubuntu it could certainly run SUSE. I did the same thing with a desktop I got
    from System76. They build the systems with Linux-compatible hardware, and you
    can install the distro you want afterwards. I've got both SUSE and Mandriva
    on mine.

    My last laptop was a Compaq PIII, which came with a Winmodem and no network
    card; adding a network card/modem made that into a great Linux machine for 8
    years. These days if I had to choose a compatible laptop I'd go with IBM,
    Dell, or something pre-installed.

  10. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    R Wood wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 at 12:55 GMT, Larry Bristol
    > wrote:
    >> Mark Scott wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yeah i'm hoping someone will recommend a laptop either brand or
    >>> specific
    >>> model that is known to have relatively few driver issues. I would
    >>> like to have as much functionality as possible to be honest but
    >>> realise that some things just won't work as intended.

    I just replaced SuSE 10.2 with SuSE 10.3 on my Dell Insperon 1300,
    everything works just fine. I'm doing the same with a Dell Vostro 1000
    tomorrow. This one dual boots XP and SuSE 10.2 at the moment.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  11. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    Baron wrote:
    > R Wood wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 at 12:55 GMT, Larry Bristol
    >> wrote:

    > I just replaced SuSE 10.2 with SuSE 10.3 on my Dell Insperon 1300,
    > everything works just fine. I'm doing the same with a Dell Vostro 1000
    > tomorrow. This one dual boots XP and SuSE 10.2 at the moment.

    OpenSuse 10.3 works well on my Dell Inspiron 1521 Used BCM43xx packages
    and firmware. Took some fiddling to get the mic to work.
    Most of the buttons seem to work too, video controls no, volume, screen
    brightness, and sleep buttons all work.
    Jack

  12. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    jack wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> R Wood wrote:

    >> I just replaced SuSE 10.2 with SuSE 10.3 on my Dell Insperon 1300,
    >> everything works just fine. I'm doing the same with a Dell Vostro
    >> 1000
    >> tomorrow. This one dual boots XP and SuSE 10.2 at the moment.
    >>

    > OpenSuse 10.3 works well on my Dell Inspiron 1521 Used BCM43xx
    > packages and firmware. Took some fiddling to get the mic to work.
    > Most of the buttons seem to work too, video controls no, volume,
    > screen brightness, and sleep buttons all work.
    > Jack

    Good to hear that the Insperon 1521 works well for you !
    The Vostro 1000 was the one I would have least expected to run Linux
    properly, which is why the client advisably opted for dual boot. It
    also uses the BCM4xxx series drivers. Its a backup, wipe and clean
    install of SuSE 10.3 in the morning.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  13. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    R Wood wrote:

    > My last laptop was a Compaq PIII, which came with a Winmodem and no
    > network card; adding a network card/modem made that into a great Linux
    > machine for 8 years. ¬*These days if I had to choose a compatible laptop
    > I'd go with IBM, Dell, or something pre-installed.

    I've had pretty good luck with Toshiba laptops myself. I bought one for
    myself just because the price was too good to pass up then got a newer one
    for the wife and all three kids bought them as well - each a different
    model and all 5 have performed well with openSUSE 10.2/.3. I'm not
    overjoyed with the built-in Intel video but price/performance made them a
    good choice for all of us and all the features are supported - at least,
    the ones I've tried to use.

    --
    Will Honea

  14. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:28:53 +0100, GŁnther Schwarz wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:55:39 +0000, Mark Scott wrote:

    >>> One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware
    >>> compatibility and as such would like some advice on fairly recent
    >>> high spec machines that would be handled in the hardware drivers
    >>> currently
    >>> available. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of what
    >>> would suit my needs best?

    >> 1) IBM (now Lenovo) laptops have always been quite compatible.
    >> 2) try a Live CD on what ever you are considering - you'll KNOW in
    >> short order.

    > I want to second that. But then this is not a convenient option on
    > mailorder. Also a failing live CD does not mean that the distribution
    > can not be configured to work when installed on hard disk.
    >
    >>> I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get
    >>> hold of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to
    >>> use or should I wait till official release time?

    > 10.3 should be fine for many notbooks with the current 'Santa Rosa'
    > platform by Intel (GMA X3100 graphics and 4965AG WLAN). Avoid high end
    > graphics and exotic WLAN hardware without reliable reports that they do
    > work with openSuSE. Also check www.tuxmobile.org and be aware than
    > notebook manufacturers tend to change hardware specifications without
    > changing the model name ;-)
    >
    > GŁnther

    That is part of the problem really. I really need the high end graphics
    for the visualisation software we use but i'm going to check for these
    before buying. It is only one thing to check on each laptop I look at so
    it's not too bad.

    Cheers for the advice everyone.

  15. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    Mark Scott wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a new laptop for my job and would prefer a dual boot
    > system to run both windows and linux due to specific requirements on each
    > platform and while I have this currently working well on my desktop at
    > work (even though windows is becoming less used all the time thankfully),
    > it would be nice to have this portable to take with me to conferences and
    > demos.
    >
    > One major thing I am concerned about is the laptop hardware compatibility
    > and as such would like some advice on fairly recent high spec machines
    > that would be handled in the hardware drivers currently available. Does
    > anyone have any advice or suggestions of what would suit my needs best?
    >
    > I am currently running 10.0 on my desktop at work but am going to get hold
    > of 10.3 for the laptop. Is version 11 stable enough for me to use or
    > should I wait till official release time? I am not the most experienced
    > of linux users it must be said but cope with what I need to do.
    >
    > Cheers

    I installed open suse 10.3 on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

    Had a bit of a problem installing as I had to manually install some drivers
    before the installation would go

    Runs fine booting into Vista or 10.3.

  16. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    >platform by Intel (GMA X3100 graphics and 4965AG WLAN).

    I cannot get this WLAN to work. It picks up the drivers but will not connect
    even with no security. Works in Vista which is really annoying

    Dave

  17. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:59:13 +0000, Dave@Nothere.com wrote:

    >>platform by Intel (GMA X3100 graphics and 4965AG WLAN).

    >I cannot get this WLAN to work. It picks up the drivers but will not connect
    >even with no security. Works in Vista which is really annoying
    >
    >Dave

    Go into BIOS setting and turn OFF the included LAN port.

  18. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    > Go into BIOS setting and turn OFF the included LAN port.

    I'll give that a go

    Shame I need to use one or the other.

    Dave

  19. Re: Dual Boot laptop advice please??

    Dave@Nothere.com wrote:

    >>platform by Intel (GMA X3100 graphics and 4965AG WLAN).

    > I cannot get this WLAN to work. It picks up the drivers but will not
    > connect even with no security.

    I have to admit that I was relying on third party experience in this
    case. The older Intel WLAN devices like 2100 and 2915ABG work nicely
    here with ipw2100 and ipw2200 kernel modules. I might check again with
    the 4965 next time the boss' notebook comes in for service :-)

    G√ľnther

+ Reply to Thread