10.2 - Yast2 Software sources - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources - Suse ; I'm new to Suse most of my Linux experience is with Slackware. I must installed openSuse 10.2 about a month ago and have been pleased with its ease of use compared to other Linux versions I have used. More things ...

  1. 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    I'm new to Suse most of my Linux experience is with Slackware. I
    must installed openSuse 10.2 about a month ago and have been
    pleased with its ease of use compared to other Linux versions I
    have used. More things worked out of the box and less time spent
    at the command line to install software.

    But, is there a bug in the Yast2 that comes with openSuse 10.2,
    and do I need to download an rpm for a more recent version.

    I have software sources in Yast2 set up to retrieve software from
    a download repository at gatech.edu, and Novell's server.
    Everything seemed to work fine at first, although I noticed that
    the gatech.edu server was entered twice in software sources
    somehow. I was able to download rpms needed for multimedia
    playback. Was very happy with it at first.

    The main problem now is that I can't go in to remove any urls from
    software sources, or change settings so that it does not refresh,
    every time I go into either software sources, or software
    management.

    Why does Yast2 refresh before I go into software sources? I
    understand it can do this once for each server before going into
    software management if yo let it, but why for software sources? I
    can't stop it from refreshing if I can't get into software sources
    can I? And I can't get into software sources because it is to busy
    downloaded xml files.

    If I leave it alone it will download all the xml files in the
    repository, and will then start all over again. I let it go as far
    as 3 times then I have to kill Yast2 from the command line. I am
    on a standard dial-up connection so this xml file addiction it
    seems to have becomes time consuming. It seems to be something
    other then the fact that the gatech.edu server is entered twice in
    software sources. Like I said, I can't get into software sources
    to see what is in there now because it is to busy downloading xml
    files.

    Thanks in advance
    Eddie

  2. Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    E wrote:

    > I'm new to Suse most of my Linux experience is with Slackware. I must
    > installed openSuse 10.2 about a month ago and have been pleased with its
    > ease of use compared to other Linux versions I have used. More things
    > worked out of the box and less time spent at the command line to install
    > software.
    >
    > But, is there a bug in the Yast2 that comes with openSuse 10.2, and do I
    > need to download an rpm for a more recent version.
    >
    > I have software sources in Yast2 set up to retrieve software from a
    > download repository at gatech.edu, and Novell's server. Everything
    > seemed to work fine at first, although I noticed that the gatech.edu
    > server was entered twice in software sources somehow. I was able to
    > download rpms needed for multimedia playback. Was very happy with it at
    > first.
    >
    > The main problem now is that I can't go in to remove any urls from
    > software sources, or change settings so that it does not refresh, every
    > time I go into either software sources, or software management.
    >
    > Why does Yast2 refresh before I go into software sources? I understand
    > it can do this once for each server before going into software
    > management if yo let it, but why for software sources? I can't stop it
    > from refreshing if I can't get into software sources can I? And I can't
    > get into software sources because it is to busy downloaded xml files.
    >
    > If I leave it alone it will download all the xml files in the
    > repository, and will then start all over again. I let it go as far as 3
    > times then I have to kill Yast2 from the command line. I am on a
    > standard dial-up connection so this xml file addiction it seems to have
    > becomes time consuming. It seems to be something other then the fact
    > that the gatech.edu server is entered twice in software sources. Like I
    > said, I can't get into software sources to see what is in there now
    > because it is to busy downloading xml files.

    Sorry, where ever I wrote 'software sources' in the above message,
    I meant 'installation sources'

  3. Re: Nevermind

    E wrote:

    > I'm new to Suse most of my Linux experience is with Slackware. I must
    > installed openSuse 10.2 about a month ago and have been pleased with its
    > ease of use compared to other Linux versions I have used. More things
    > worked out of the box and less time spent at the command line to install
    > software.
    >
    > But, is there a bug in the Yast2 that comes with openSuse 10.2, and do I
    > need to download an rpm for a more recent version.
    >
    > I have software sources in Yast2 set up to retrieve software from a
    > download repository at gatech.edu, and Novell's server. Everything
    > seemed to work fine at first, although I noticed that the gatech.edu
    > server was entered twice in software sources somehow. I was able to
    > download rpms needed for multimedia playback. Was very happy with it at
    > first.
    >
    > The main problem now is that I can't go in to remove any urls from
    > software sources, or change settings so that it does not refresh, every
    > time I go into either software sources, or software management.
    >
    > Why does Yast2 refresh before I go into software sources? I understand
    > it can do this once for each server before going into software
    > management if yo let it, but why for software sources? I can't stop it
    > from refreshing if I can't get into software sources can I? And I can't
    > get into software sources because it is to busy downloaded xml files.
    >
    > If I leave it alone it will download all the xml files in the
    > repository, and will then start all over again. I let it go as far as 3
    > times then I have to kill Yast2 from the command line. I am on a
    > standard dial-up connection so this xml file addiction it seems to have
    > becomes time consuming. It seems to be something other then the fact
    > that the gatech.edu server is entered twice in software sources. Like I
    > said, I can't get into software sources to see what is in there now
    > because it is to busy downloading xml files.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Eddie

    I might have fixed the problem by simply disconnecting from my
    dial up connection, then going into 'installation sources' (note I
    kept calling it 'software sources' above). With no network
    connection Yast2 was forced to ask me whether I wanted to remove
    installation sources.

    Hope this helps
    Eddie

  4. Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    E wrote:

    >I'm new to Suse most of my Linux experience is with Slackware. I
    >must installed openSuse 10.2 about a month ago and have been
    >pleased with its ease of use compared to other Linux versions I
    >have used. More things worked out of the box and less time spent
    >at the command line to install software.

    >But, is there a bug in the Yast2 that comes with openSuse 10.2,
    >and do I need to download an rpm for a more recent version.

    >I have software sources in Yast2 set up to retrieve software from
    >a download repository at gatech.edu, and Novell's server.
    >Everything seemed to work fine at first, although I noticed that
    >the gatech.edu server was entered twice in software sources
    >somehow. I was able to download rpms needed for multimedia
    >playback. Was very happy with it at first.

    >The main problem now is that I can't go in to remove any urls from
    >software sources, or change settings so that it does not refresh,
    > every time I go into either software sources, or software
    >management.

    >Why does Yast2 refresh before I go into software sources? I
    >understand it can do this once for each server before going into
    >software management if yo let it, but why for software sources? I
    >can't stop it from refreshing if I can't get into software sources
    >can I? And I can't get into software sources because it is to busy
    >downloaded xml files.

    >If I leave it alone it will download all the xml files in the
    >repository, and will then start all over again. I let it go as far
    >as 3 times then I have to kill Yast2 from the command line. I am
    >on a standard dial-up connection so this xml file addiction it
    >seems to have becomes time consuming. It seems to be something
    >other then the fact that the gatech.edu server is entered twice in
    >software sources. Like I said, I can't get into software sources
    >to see what is in there now because it is to busy downloading xml
    >files.

    >Thanks in advance
    >Eddie

    Sorry that I can't help you, but things are currently no better
    in 10.3.

    The repository mess is about the worst designed thing I've ever
    seen. It should at least find out what you want to do before it
    starts refreshing everything, slowly.

    I don't know what magic apt uses, but it loads up much much faster.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:44:42 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > E wrote:

    >>If I leave it alone it will download all the xml files in the
    >>repository, and will then start all over again. I let it go as far
    >>as 3 times then I have to kill Yast2 from the command line. I am
    >>on a standard dial-up connection so this xml file addiction it
    >>seems to have becomes time consuming. It seems to be something
    >>other then the fact that the gatech.edu server is entered twice in
    >>software sources. Like I said, I can't get into software sources
    >>to see what is in there now because it is to busy downloading xml
    >>files.

    >>Thanks in advance
    >>Eddie

    > Sorry that I can't help you, but things are currently no better
    > in 10.3.
    >
    > The repository mess is about the worst designed thing I've ever
    > seen. It should at least find out what you want to do before it
    > starts refreshing everything, slowly.
    >
    > I don't know what magic apt uses, but it loads up much much faster.

    Thats ok. If there is no cure, then I will have to start using apt. I was
    able to remove URLs from installation sources by disconnecting from my ISP
    before going in, which forced yast to ask me if I want to remove them. I
    was then able to start out from scratch and entered only the official
    repositories making sure I set them all not to refresh, even the update
    server.

    But its doing it again just with the update server. I set everything not to
    refresh, but Yast2 still insists on refreshing the update server.

    So off I go to read up on apt-get.

    Thanks

  6. Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    E wrote:

    > So off I go to read up on apt-get.

    1) Disable automatic update via updater applet in system tray.

    2) Use Smart package manager instead of apt. I don't know is there any
    maintained repository for apt-get.
    http://en.opensuse.org/Smart

    The problems seems to be finally solved with 11.0 and few developers are
    trying to backport the newest zypper to older distribution versions. This
    is last status:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel.../msg00042.html

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  7. Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:12:38 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

    > E wrote:
    >
    >> So off I go to read up on apt-get.
    >>

    > 1) Disable automatic update via updater applet in system tray.

    I have the openSuse updater still running in the system tray. I'll disable
    that.

    > 2) Use Smart package manager instead of apt. I don't know is there any
    > maintained repository for apt-get.
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Smart

    I've skimmed over this subject (Smart) a few times searching for solutions
    to my Yast2 problem. I'll take a look at that. When Yast2 works, with its
    ability to resolve dependencies, it works well. I think it will work if I
    remove the patch URL from Installation Sources.

    > The problems seems to be finally solved with 11.0 and few developers are
    > trying to backport the newest zypper to older distribution versions. This
    > is last status:
    > http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel.../msg00042.html

    That's good news! I'm not giving up on Suse, and will be looking forward to
    11.0. Not to take anything away from Slackware (I want to put it on
    another box) it has its advantages, but I have gotten more things working,
    and easier with openSuse 10.2 than Slackware 10.1 at least.

    Thanks

  8. Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

    E wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:12:38 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
    >
    >> E wrote:
    >>
    >>> So off I go to read up on apt-get.
    >>>

    >> 1) Disable automatic update via updater applet in system tray.

    > I have the openSuse updater still running in the system tray. I'll disable
    > that.

    It takes forever on broadband. On dialup I can't imagine.

    >> 2) Use Smart package manager instead of apt. I don't know is there any
    >> maintained repository for apt-get.
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/Smart

    > I've skimmed over this subject (Smart) a few times searching for solutions
    > to my Yast2 problem. I'll take a look at that. When Yast2 works, with its
    > ability to resolve dependencies, it works well. I think it will work if I
    > remove the patch URL from Installation Sources.

    Just try Smart for now. As long as you use few official repositories and
    watch what Smart is trying to do, it should be fine. The official
    repositories are located under /distribution and /update for corresponding
    versions. You probably want to try Smart from Guru/Packman repositories as
    rpm comes with repositories already configured ie. it should work out of
    the box.

    >> The problems seems to be finally solved with 11.0 and few developers are
    >> trying to backport the newest zypper to older distribution versions. This
    >> is last status:
    >> http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel.../msg00042.html
    >>

    > That's good news! I'm not giving up on Suse, and will be looking forward
    > to 11.0. Not to take anything away from Slackware (I want to put it on
    > another box) it has its advantages, but I have gotten more things working,
    > and easier with openSuse 10.2 than Slackware 10.1 at least.

    The same here. I have no problem to understand and manage Slackware or
    Gentoo, it is just the RTM thing, but it is just more time left for other
    stuff with openSUSE.

    Taking your experience with Slackware you can feel fine even with Alpha 3
    software, though dialup doesn't help with iso download, and later with
    update to Factory.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal