Video problems - Suse

This is a discussion on Video problems - Suse ; I just got 10.3 installed on a Gateway GT5628 with an NVIDIA GeForceŽ 8500GT and a Viewsonic VA2012wb monitor. My problem is getting the monitor to work at the monitor's 1680x1050 resolution. I have not yet tried to install the ...

  1. Video problems

    I just got 10.3 installed on a Gateway GT5628 with an NVIDIA GeForceŽ
    8500GT and a Viewsonic VA2012wb monitor. My problem is getting the
    monitor to work at the monitor's 1680x1050 resolution.

    I have not yet tried to install the NVidia drivers.

    I did set this resolution during the setup for video.

    The X server won't start if I use the digital input. If I use the
    analog output, X starts, but I can only get part of the desktop width.
    How do I go about getting the full resolution, preferably using the
    digital input to the LCD?

    And then, how do I install the NVidia drivers without screwing things
    up? The last time I tried this, I got the dreaded message about being
    past the sync frequency, and then nothing worked.

    Sorry to be so dense,
    Jim

  2. Re: Video problems

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > I just got 10.3 installed on a Gateway GT5628 with an NVIDIA GeForceŽ
    > 8500GT and a Viewsonic VA2012wb monitor. My problem is getting the
    > monitor to work at the monitor's 1680x1050 resolution.
    >
    > I have not yet tried to install the NVidia drivers.
    >
    > I did set this resolution during the setup for video.
    >
    > The X server won't start if I use the digital input. If I use the
    > analog output, X starts, but I can only get part of the desktop width.
    > How do I go about getting the full resolution, preferably using the
    > digital input to the LCD?
    >
    > And then, how do I install the NVidia drivers without screwing things
    > up? The last time I tried this, I got the dreaded message about being
    > past the sync frequency, and then nothing worked.
    >
    > Sorry to be so dense,
    > Jim

    Just go to OpenSuse.org and click on discover it. then documentation on
    the left, scroll down to user documentation and click on HowTo's.
    Scroll down to Graphics and click on NVIDA.
    Then do the EASY WAY install.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  3. Re: Video problems

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
    >> And then, how do I install the NVidia drivers without screwing things
    >> up? The last time I tried this, I got the dreaded message about being
    >> past the sync frequency, and then nothing worked.
    >>
    >> Sorry to be so dense,
    >> Jim

    > Just go to OpenSuse.org and click on discover it. then documentation on
    > the left, scroll down to user documentation and click on HowTo's.
    > Scroll down to Graphics and click on NVIDA.
    > Then do the EASY WAY install.

    Or for the lazy:
    Click on http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp

    More on http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    After the drivers are installed follow the following

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  4. Re: Video problems

    On Mar 19, 5:58*pm, houghi wrote:
> [...]

    > * * * * 1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.
    >
    > Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    > re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.
    >
    > If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.
    >
    > Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    > information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    > and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    > not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    > and if so, how.
    >
    > Aditional information might be needed as well.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > I do not want life insurance.
    > I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.
    >
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * houghi

    I installed the NVidia driver, and poof, the screen was full screen
    and it worked. :-) Thanks.

  5. Re: Video problems

    On Mar 19, 9:50*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    wrote:

> [...]

    > > Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    > > re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    > > If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    > > Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    > > information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    > > and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    > > not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    > > and if so, how.

    > > Aditional information might be needed as well.

    > > houghi
    > > --
    > > I do not want life insurance.
    > > I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    > I installed the NVidia driver, and poof, the screen was full screen

    Oops. I spoke too soon. The monitor is OK, but with the new Nvidia
    driver, I can no longer run Gnome desktop applications such as Gnome
    system monitor. What causes this, and how do I fix it? (I am running
    KDE 3.5.)

+ Reply to Thread