Unable to send mail - Suse

This is a discussion on Unable to send mail - Suse ; I get the following error when I try to send mail: houghi@penne : mailx -v houghi Subject: test 3 test 3 .. EOT postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189: Permission denied postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189: Permission denied send-mail: ...

  1. Unable to send mail

    I get the following error when I try to send mail:
    houghi@penne : mailx -v houghi
    Subject: test 3
    test 3
    ..
    EOT
    postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189:
    Permission denied
    postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189:
    Permission denied

    send-mail: warning: command "/usr/sbin/postdrop -r" exited with status 2
    send-mail: fatal: houghi(1000): unable to execute /usr/sbin/postdrop -r:
    Success

    The problem seems to be the cration. These are the rights of
    /etc/postfix/maildrop:
    drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 4096 Mar 19 13:12 maildrop/

    Any ideas?

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  2. Re: Unable to send mail

    houghi wrote:
    > I get the following error when I try to send mail:
    > houghi@penne : mailx -v houghi
    > Subject: test 3
    > test 3
    > .
    > EOT
    > postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189:
    > Permission denied
    > postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189:
    > Permission denied
    >
    > send-mail: warning: command "/usr/sbin/postdrop -r" exited with status 2
    > send-mail: fatal: houghi(1000): unable to execute /usr/sbin/postdrop -r:
    > Success
    >
    > The problem seems to be the cration. These are the rights of
    > /etc/postfix/maildrop:
    > drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 4096 Mar 19 13:12 maildrop/
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Strange thing is that when I do a telnet session, the mail is send:
    houghi@penne : telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 houghi.eu ESMTP Postfix
    helo houghi.org
    250 houghi.eu
    mail from: houghi
    250 2.1.0 Ok
    rcpt to: houghi
    250 2.1.5 Ok
    data
    354 End data with .
    test 06
    ..
    250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 77F3410AFB1
    quit
    221 2.0.0 Bye
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    From houghi@houghi Wed Mar 19 15:32:39 2008
    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:32:24 +0100 (CET)
    From: houghi@houghi
    To: undisclosed-recipients:;

    test 06

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  3. Re: Unable to send mail

    houghi wrote:
    >I get the following error when I try to send mail:
    >houghi@penne : mailx -v houghi
    >Subject: test 3
    >test 3
    >.
    >EOT
    >postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189:
    >Permission denied
    >postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189:
    >Permission denied
    >
    >send-mail: warning: command "/usr/sbin/postdrop -r" exited with status 2
    >send-mail: fatal: houghi(1000): unable to execute /usr/sbin/postdrop -r:
    >Success

    >The problem seems to be the cration. These are the rights of
    >/etc/postfix/maildrop:
    >drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 4096 Mar 19 13:12 maildrop/

    >Any ideas?

    Have you run a Yast update recently?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  4. Re: Unable to send mail

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>The problem seems to be the cration. These are the rights of
    >>/etc/postfix/maildrop:
    >>drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 4096 Mar 19 13:12 maildrop/

    >>Any ideas?

    > Have you run a Yast update recently?

    Daily. I do not send out a lot of mails, so no idea how long this is
    going on. Could be 1 day, could be two weeks.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  5. Re: Unable to send mail

    The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > I get the following error when I try to send mail:
    > houghi@penne : mailx -v houghi
    > Subject: test 3
    > test 3
    > .
    > EOT
    > postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189:
    > Permission denied
    > postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189:
    > Permission denied
    >
    > send-mail: warning: command "/usr/sbin/postdrop -r" exited with status 2
    > send-mail: fatal: houghi(1000): unable to execute /usr/sbin/postdrop -r:
    > Success
    >
    > The problem seems to be the cration. These are the rights of
    > /etc/postfix/maildrop:
    > drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 4096 Mar 19 13:12 maildrop/
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Run 'postfix check', followed by 'postfix set-permissions' if the first
    reports trouble (which seems likely), as root of course.
    See postfix(1)

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  6. Re: Unable to send mail

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >> I get the following error when I try to send mail:
    >> houghi@penne : mailx -v houghi
    >> Subject: test 3
    >> test 3
    >> .
    >> EOT
    >> postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189:
    >> Permission denied
    >> postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189:
    >> Permission denied
    >>
    >> send-mail: warning: command "/usr/sbin/postdrop -r" exited with status 2
    >> send-mail: fatal: houghi(1000): unable to execute /usr/sbin/postdrop -r:
    >> Success
    >>
    >> The problem seems to be the cration. These are the rights of
    >> /etc/postfix/maildrop:
    >> drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 4096 Mar 19 13:12 maildrop/
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Run 'postfix check', followed by 'postfix set-permissions' if the first
    > reports trouble (which seems likely), as root of course.
    > See postfix(1)

    root@penne : postfix check
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world
    executable: /usr/sbin/postqueue
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world
    executable: /usr/sbin/postdrop

    The other worked like a charm. Thanks.

    First time in many years I ever saw something like this. Any idea as to
    what might have caused it?

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  7. Re: Unable to send mail

    The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >>> postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/865265.4189:
    >>> Permission denied
    >>> postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/866765.4189:

    [..]
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Run 'postfix check', followed by 'postfix set-permissions' if the first
    >> reports trouble (which seems likely), as root of course.
    >> See postfix(1)

    > root@penne : postfix check
    > postfix/postfix-script: warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world
    > executable: /usr/sbin/postqueue
    > postfix/postfix-script: warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world
    > executable: /usr/sbin/postdrop
    >
    > The other worked like a charm. Thanks.
    >
    > First time in many years I ever saw something like this. Any idea as to
    > what might have caused it?

    Check e.g. /etc/permissions.d/postfix or other schemes in /etc/permission*
    Also check /etc/chkconfig/permissions.
    The root cause? No idea, but I think SuSEconfig isn't always 100%
    accurate when it runs /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  8. Re: Unable to send mail

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > Check e.g. /etc/permissions.d/postfix or other schemes in /etc/permission*
    > Also check /etc/chkconfig/permissions.

    Will check tomorrow.

    > The root cause? No idea, but I think SuSEconfig isn't always 100%
    > accurate when it runs /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions.

    That is extremely unlikely. A computer can not suddenly decide to do
    things on its own. It can only do things that it has been told to do.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  9. Re: Unable to send mail

    houghi wrote:
    >> The root cause? No idea, but I think SuSEconfig isn't always 100%
    >> accurate when it runs /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions.

    > That is extremely unlikely. A computer can not suddenly decide to do
    > things on its own. It can only do things that it has been told to do.

    The computer has been given instructions that result in inaccurate
    results. *rolleyes*

  10. Re: Unable to send mail

    The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> Check e.g. /etc/permissions.d/postfix or other schemes in /etc/permission*
    >> Also check /etc/chkconfig/permissions.

    > Will check tomorrow.
    >
    >> The root cause? No idea, but I think SuSEconfig isn't always 100%
    >> accurate when it runs /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions.

    > That is extremely unlikely. A computer can not suddenly decide to do
    > things on its own. It can only do things that it has been told to do.

    Ever heard of race conditions?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  11. Re: Unable to send mail

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > Ever heard of race conditions?
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

    Now I have and nothing that is written there has any impact on
    SuSEconfig.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  12. Re: Unable to send mail

    houghi wrote:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> Ever heard of race conditions?
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

    > Now I have and nothing that is written there has any impact on
    > SuSEconfig.

    Your statement was not specific to suseconfig either.

  13. Re: Unable to send mail

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >>> Ever heard of race conditions?
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

    >> Now I have and nothing that is written there has any impact on
    >> SuSEconfig.

    > Your statement was not specific to suseconfig either.

    That was what I was talking about. This is what I reacted to:

    The root cause? No idea, but I think SuSEconfig isn't always 100%
    accurate when it runs /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions.

    I stated that, well, you can read it yourself.

    So even if it was not a statement, I was talking specificaly about
    SuSEconfig.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  14. Re: Unable to send mail

    The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> Ever heard of race conditions?
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

    > Now I have and nothing that is written there has any impact on
    > SuSEconfig.

    You cut too much
    The statement was:
    > That is extremely unlikely. A computer can not suddenly decide to do
    > things on its own. It can only do things that it has been told to do.

    When a race condition arises, a computer *does* (seem to do) things
    without appearent reason.

    I didn't say that this is what happens, but I *have* seen things with
    permissions go haywire before, after a YOU run (which includes
    SuSEconfig).

    Anyway, it's your PC, so without knowing what you do with it the whole
    day, there's no way I can make an educated guess, so all that's left are
    the wild, uneducated kinds. If you don't like those, either provide more
    info or ask someone else.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  15. Re: Unable to send mail

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > Check e.g. /etc/permissions.d/postfix or other schemes in /etc/permission*
    > Also check /etc/chkconfig/permissions.

    The final answer was inderectly from here

    > The root cause? No idea, but I think SuSEconfig isn't always 100%
    > accurate when it runs /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions.

    Yes, it does.

    I had it happen again and started looking innto it a bit better. I also
    noticed that I had problems with `crontab -e`

    So what I did was look up /etc/permission and there it said I needed to
    run `chkstat -set /etc/permissions`. That worked great, because
    there were no changes.
    Next I ran `chkstat -set /etc/permissions.easy` and that gave me errors
    that it wasn't able to change the settings.

    That was very odd, I thought and then I realised that all errors where
    from /usr.

    I then realised I had placed all of /usr in a seperate directory on a
    different drive instead of making a new partition and that was causing
    the error.

    Now why did I not have any problems earlier? First because I did not see
    them. Second because before that I just had copied the directory,
    maintaining the rights.

    Then somewhat later I answerd a question about the permisssions and did
    a test. Apparently that was enough to cause some changes.

    As everything else seemed to be working, I drew the wrong conclusion of
    the cause of the error.

    So as per usual PEBCAK.

    So to very fast change your rights (e.g. if somebody is temporarily
    working on your machine) you can do the following: `chkstat -set
    /etc/permissions.paranoid` and to set it back `chkstat -set
    /etc/permissions.easy`

    Remember that the setting will be set back to the default when you run
    SuSEconfig, which happens when you do an installation or update.

    Obviously you can change /etc/permissions[.*] or even add your own, yet
    only do that if you know what you are doing. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    houghi http://houghi.org http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    > Today I went outside. My pupils have never been tinier...

+ Reply to Thread