RE: Which blogging software - Suse

This is a discussion on RE: Which blogging software - Suse ; I recently asked for recommendations regarding weblog software packages. just wanted to report back that I've now briefly tried two different packages. The first is 'xoops'. Still have a few bugs to work out but it looks promising. This is ...

  1. RE: Which blogging software

    I recently asked for recommendations regarding weblog software packages.
    just wanted to report back that I've now briefly tried two different
    packages. The first is 'xoops'. Still have a few bugs to work out but it
    looks promising. This is actually a 'portal' type application and is
    something more expansive than simple web log software that I'll use in the
    future. The second package, which I've just now installed is more like
    what I'm looking for. It's WordPress and only took about 5-10 minutes to
    install locally. Looks quite promising. I'll have to figure out which
    plugins to install but that should be rather trivial. Once it's on-line
    (to the public) it'll be named The PI Blog. That's short for "The
    Pragmatic Idealist Blog" Perhaps I shouldn't announce that yet as now I
    might chicken out....LOL

    Anyway, if your looking for good weblog software to host your blog on try
    WordPress. Highly recommended.

    P.S. Yes, I know this is NOT openSuSE specific but since no one seemed to
    know which package to recommend I thought I'd share my experience using
    this on my 10.3 install. Just requires a MySQL database and Apache to run.
    The instructions are pretty easy to follow and the user interface is quite
    nice... Just download the source from the web site :

    http://wordpress.org/

    No this is not a shameless plug. I'm just impressed by the software and
    hope to save someone the time it took for me to investigate this. Enjoy.

  2. RE: Which blogging software

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    ----------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------
    > No this is not a shameless plug. I'm just impressed by the software and
    > hope to save someone the time it took for me to investigate this. Enjoy.

    Update. I just tried ImpressCMS, which is a fork of xoops. It looks more
    polished and has a better installer with helpfull hints. Plus a 'trusted
    path' for things to be not writable by Apache.. Seems they've considered a
    few things the xoops people didn't. Anyway, I'll use this for a while a
    report back with my progress..

  3. Re: Which blogging software

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Update. I just tried ImpressCMS, which is a fork of xoops. It looks more
    > polished and has a better installer with helpfull hints. Plus a 'trusted
    > path' for things to be not writable by Apache.. Seems they've considered a
    > few things the xoops people didn't. Anyway, I'll use this for a while a
    > report back with my progress..

    Kids these days. In my time we made a website obout what we did on a
    daily basis and called it a website, not a blog. We use vi and encoded
    HTML ourselfs on the go.

    On an even less serious note though, many if not all blogging systems
    have one huge disadvatage. They are not easy to make it look as your own
    site. yes, you are able to change things, but easy is often another
    matter.

    Now if you are knowledgable about php, css and mysql there is no issue,
    but then you could have your site made yourself. :-D

    Obviously if you are a heavy blogger, then the efford is orth it. As you
    know most blogs are sites with little to no interest to anybody
    (including the maker) and should be forbidden anyway.

    For small additions to a site,you could perfectly write a small script
    that does this for you.

    Now if user interaction is importand then the standard blog sucks big
    time. They have one posting above the other with no clear reference to
    who is replying to what. There is one exception and that is
    shlashcode.org

    So if you wnat user interaction, shlashcode is the way to go. If you
    want anything else, get of my lawn, I mean don't.

    Sure there are several thousands of sites proving me wrong, but that has
    not stopped me before.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  4. Re: Which blogging software

    houghi wrote:

    ------------------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------
    > So if you wnat user interaction, shlashcode is the way to go. If you
    > want anything else, get of my lawn, I mean don't.
    >
    > Sure there are several thousands of sites proving me wrong, but that has
    > not stopped me before.
    >
    > houghi

    Your comments are food for thought as always. Now I'll look at this from
    yet another angle and consider the pros/cons of portal vs.
    web-site-from-scratch vs.highly interactive ajaxified web site/web store...

    By the time I actually need any/all of the above for my business I'll
    probably be too busy to do ANY of these. But hey, it's been fun so far
    learning..

    Only time will tell.

+ Reply to Thread