Maxdata laptop - Suse

This is a discussion on Maxdata laptop - Suse ; Hello everybody, I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on an external 2.5" hard disk: the idea is to replace the one I have in my laptop with it as soon as I have solved the main problems I'm going to explain. Laptop ...

  1. Maxdata laptop

    Hello everybody,

    I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on an external 2.5" hard disk: the idea is to
    replace the one I have in my laptop with it as soon as I have solved the
    main problems I'm going to explain.

    Laptop is a Maxdata Pro 7100D X and it has an Intel GM 82855 video chipset.

    At this moment I have two questions:

    1) *Stand-by*. Using s2ram without any extra flags it confirms my hardware
    is not yet fully supported. With --force flag it's able to go in stand-by
    mode, but when I come back to desktop there's a continuous glint of the
    screen. I solve this problem logging out from KDE practically without seeing
    anything and then relogging in. Any idea?

    2) *Boot loader*. Grub installed correctly on my system, so that I can start
    OpenSUSE on the external hard disk or XP on the internal. If I turn on my
    laptop without external hard disk plugged in the USB port GRUB doesn't
    start, and so I can't do anything. The other way around all is ok if I plug
    the USB cable of external hard disk before turning on the laptop. This is a
    temporary problem I think it will disappear when I will change the hard
    disks, but until then can I solve in other way?

    Thanks.
    --
    Marco Pikiri

  2. Re: Maxdata laptop

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:34:51 +0100, Marco Pikiri wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on an external 2.5" hard disk: the idea is to
    > replace the one I have in my laptop with it as soon as I have solved the
    > main problems I'm going to explain.
    >
    > Laptop is a Maxdata Pro 7100D X and it has an Intel GM 82855 video
    > chipset.
    >
    > At this moment I have two questions:
    >
    > 1) *Stand-by*. Using s2ram without any extra flags it confirms my
    > hardware is not yet fully supported. With --force flag it's able to go
    > in stand-by mode, but when I come back to desktop there's a continuous
    > glint of the screen. I solve this problem logging out from KDE
    > practically without seeing anything and then relogging in. Any idea?
    >
    > 2) *Boot loader*. Grub installed correctly on my system, so that I can
    > start OpenSUSE on the external hard disk or XP on the internal. If I
    > turn on my laptop without external hard disk plugged in the USB port
    > GRUB doesn't start, and so I can't do anything. The other way around all
    > is ok if I plug the USB cable of external hard disk before turning on
    > the laptop. This is a temporary problem I think it will disappear when I
    > will change the hard disks, but until then can I solve in other way?
    >
    > Thanks.

    On point 2)
    The problem here, I believe, is that the external disc wrote the boot
    loader to the MBR.
    If you go into yast on your normal system and choose boot loader > other
    and then select restore previous MBR you will be able to boot without the
    external disk plugged in.
    You will need amend your /boot/grub/menu.lst to include something like

    ###USB boot: Original name: usb###
    title openSUSE 11
    root (hd2,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-IBM-DTTA_-350840-0:0-
    part1
    initrd /boot/initrd

    where you take the details from your external disk menu.lst
    I omit the kernel version and initrd version so that I can update the
    external build without having modify the entry.

+ Reply to Thread