What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought? - Suse

This is a discussion on What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought? - Suse ; My installation of 10.2 was fine. Finally got the nvidia card working in 3D with an acceptable refresh rate, mono and monodevelop were working fine, life was good. After a reboot following the last batch of automatice updates, KDE wne ...

  1. What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    My installation of 10.2 was fine. Finally got the nvidia card working
    in 3D with an acceptable refresh rate, mono and monodevelop were
    working fine, life was good. After a reboot following the last batch
    of automatice updates, KDE wne berserk. Windows were "wobbling" back
    and forth while being minimized or maximized, the pager was like a
    spinning cube when I clicked on a different desktop. I thought maybe
    a them had changes so I switched to Keramic and logged or/ back on and
    now the screen was blank white. Nothing. Had to ctrl-alt-backspace
    to get out ouf it. Logged in as root, same crap, same final result.
    Tried to re-install, formatted everything but /home (save an extra
    copy also on a separate partition) and now the installed won't find an
    update server. Network is connected fine because it gets the release
    notes and the logs are good. Did the same thing last night. So I can
    boot it but can't apply any updates, can't even configure an update
    server. WHAT THE HELL IS NOVELL DOING!!!!????

  2. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:

    > My installation of 10.2 was fine. Finally got the nvidia card working
    > in 3D with an acceptable refresh rate, mono and monodevelop were
    > working fine, life was good. After a reboot following the last batch
    > of automatice updates, KDE wne berserk. Windows were "wobbling" back
    > and forth while being minimized or maximized, the pager was like a
    > spinning cube when I clicked on a different desktop. I thought maybe
    > a them had changes so I switched to Keramic and logged or/ back on and
    > now the screen was blank white. Nothing. Had to ctrl-alt-backspace
    > to get out ouf it. Logged in as root, same crap, same final result.
    > Tried to re-install, formatted everything but /home (save an extra
    > copy also on a separate partition) and now the installed won't find an
    > update server. Network is connected fine because it gets the release
    > notes and the logs are good. Did the same thing last night. So I can
    > boot it but can't apply any updates, can't even configure an update
    > server. WHAT THE HELL IS NOVELL DOING!!!!????

    I just updated someones 10.2 install a couple of days ago and I saw the
    nvidia patch. So when Yast finished updating I instinctively started a new
    session (Ctl + Alt + F6) logged in as root and ran 'sax2'. Saved the
    automatically detected settings and rebooted....

    It worked as expected.

    So either remember to run sax2 (or Yast -> Hardware -> 'Graphics Card and
    Monitor') after an nvidia update or do NOT update this driver. You can
    always mark as 'taboo' this package...

    As for the spinning part, it sounds like you have xgl installed and this may
    be causing some problems too. The 3D stuff seems to be a problem for many
    people and I, for one, don't think it's worth the fuss. Maybe uninstall
    it.

    As for online updating a new install I've found that plugging the ethernet
    card directly into the dsl box rather than using a router/switch/hub in
    between solves the update problems during fresh installs. That, of course,
    assumes that is what you are doing which may be wrong !! Sometimes the
    servers are just too busy. The reason you may get the release notes and
    not the updates is these may come from different servers/repositories and
    it may require dns to work properly which is why I suggest removing
    intermediary devices between the ethernet device and the dsl box. It works
    better if things are not set up yet..

  3. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:

    > server. WHAT THE HELL IS NOVELL DOING!!!!????

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  4. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    On Mar 18, 1:59*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    First, thanks fir the response. I really need some help here.

    > suseneedsw...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > My installation of 10.2 was fine. *Finally got the nvidia card working
    > > in 3D with an acceptable refresh rate, mono and monodevelop were
    > > working fine, life was good. *After a reboot following the last batch
    > > of automatice updates, KDE wne berserk. *Windows were "wobbling" back
    > > and forth while being minimized or maximized, the pager was like a
    > > spinning cube when I clicked on a different desktop. *I thought maybe
    > > a them had changes so I switched to Keramic and logged or/ back on and
    > > now the screen was blank white. *Nothing. *Had to ctrl-alt-backspace
    > > to get out ouf it. *Logged in as root, same crap, same final result.
    > > Tried to re-install, formatted everything but /home (save an extra
    > > copy also on a separate partition) and now the installed won't find an
    > > update server. *Network is connected fine because it gets the release
    > > notes and the logs are good. *Did the same thing last night. *So I can
    > > boot it but can't apply any updates, can't even configure an update
    > > server. *WHAT THE HELL IS NOVELL DOING!!!!????

    > I just updated someones 10.2 install a couple of days ago and I saw the
    > nvidia patch. *So when Yast finished updating I instinctively started a new
    > session (Ctl + Alt + F6) logged in as root and ran 'sax2'. *Saved the
    > automatically detected settings and rebooted....
    >
    > It worked as expected.
    >
    > So either remember to run sax2 (or Yast -> Hardware -> 'Graphics Card and
    > Monitor') after an nvidia update or do NOT update this driver. *You can
    > always mark as 'taboo' this package...

    I can't even get this far. I know that there are crucial YAST updates
    that need to be done first and I can't even get an update server
    configured. During the install I used ctrl-alt-F6 and ifconfig shows
    that eth0 has a valid ip address and two valid dns servers
    configured. Novell seems to be rejecting the request. I do use sax2
    when I install the newest nvidia driver, before I let other family
    members (users) log in.

    > As for the spinning part, it sounds like you have xgl installed and this may
    > be causing some problems too. *The 3D stuff seems to be a problem for many
    > people and I, for one, don't think it's worth the fuss. *Maybe uninstall
    > it.

    3D was working fine. nvidia-seetings takes care of that once the
    driver is installed and RandR is set to false in the xf86config file.
    I don't recall installing xgl, but I'm not going to say that I
    absolutely didn't.

    > As for online updating a new install I've found that plugging the ethernet
    > card directly into the dsl box rather than using a router/switch/hub in
    > between solves the update problems during fresh installs. *That, of course,
    > assumes that is what you are doing which may be wrong !! *Sometimes the
    > servers are just too busy. *The reason you may get the release notes and
    > not the updates is these may come from different servers/repositories and
    > it may require dns to work properly which is why I suggest removing
    > intermediary devices between the ethernet device and the dsl box. *It works
    > better if things are not set up yet..- Hide quoted text -

    ifconfig shows that everything is fine with the detected network setup
    so I don't think it's that. Besides, it's always worked this way
    before.. THanks again.

  5. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    On Mar 18, 2:15*pm, houghi wrote:
    > suseneedsw...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > server. *WHAT THE HELL IS NOVELL DOING!!!!????

    > houghi
    > --
    >

    > > * *Knock-knock.
    > > * *Who's there?
    > > * *Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.- Hide quoted text -

    I knew huffy wouldn't have anything useful to add...

  6. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:24 -0700, suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:
    .... snippity
    > 3D was working fine. nvidia-seetings takes care of that once the
    > driver is installed and RandR is set to false in the xf86config file.
    > I don't recall installing xgl, but I'm not going to say that I
    > absolutely didn't.

    Well... you can't get the spinning cube without it. So somehow you
    installed it or did a full System Upgrade or something else that
    might attempt to do all of that. I will blame openSUSE a bit here,
    there are many options in YaST for which adequate explanation (in
    detail) is not given and the side effects are far reaching.

    Yes... yes... for the openSUSE fans (long time SUSE users), you KNOW
    what does what and what to avoid... just trying to see through the
    other person's eyes here...

    .... snippity

    > ifconfig shows that everything is fine with the detected network setup
    > so I don't think it's that. Besides, it's always worked this way
    > before.. THanks again.

    I do not know what is causing this kind of problem. It is definitely
    very easy to throw SUSE Enterprise for a loop in this regard, but much
    less so with openSUSE. With that said, download.opensuse.org has had
    its share of outages this year... so it's not the most reliable
    mechanism for getting an update server added to an installation. And
    I've been personally bitten by it. But as for right now, everything
    seems to be operating ok.

  7. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    Chris and Michael - thanks for the help. I saved /home, formatted and
    re-istalled, and still no update server. I manually added
    download.opensuse.org and everything is updating as usual. Thanks
    again for the help.

    Houghi - I still love you man.

  8. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chris and Michael - thanks for the help. I saved /home, formatted and
    > re-istalled, and still no update server. I manually added
    > download.opensuse.org and everything is updating as usual. Thanks
    > again for the help.

    Hmmm... glad you got it working. Still have no idea why doing the
    Yast->Online Update Configuration failed for you. But knowing some
    of the difficulties I've personally had with it over many, many
    months... it's not impossible for me to see that happening to you.

  9. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:53:07 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    > suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Chris and Michael - thanks for the help. I saved /home, formatted and
    >> re-istalled, and still no update server. I manually added
    >> download.opensuse.org and everything is updating as usual. Thanks
    >> again for the help.

    > Hmmm... glad you got it working. Still have no idea why doing the
    > Yast->Online Update Configuration failed for you. But knowing some of
    > the difficulties I've personally had with it over many, many months...
    > it's not impossible for me to see that happening to you.

    FWIW I did a reinstall today (as a result of a disc change before the old
    one finally died) and Online Update Config would not work, whatever I
    did. I've also ended up with a white on white with added white screen in
    KDE with Compiz, but I'm still working on that (really didnt expect it
    work on the first day!)

  10. Re: What hath SuSE (Novell 'tards) wrought?

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:43:11 +0000, central77 wrote:

    > FWIW I did a reinstall today (as a result of a disc change before the
    > old one finally died) and Online Update Config would not work, whatever
    > I did. I've also ended up with a white on white with added white screen
    > in KDE with Compiz, but I'm still working on that (really didnt expect
    > it work on the first day!)

    Oddly, I had white-on-white recently on both a KDE 4.0.2 session and a
    Gnome session after some updates. A command-line Yast2 (further) update
    of various packages fixed the problem, though.

    --
    Rob
    http://www.uicstock.org.uk/

+ Reply to Thread