Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3 - Suse ; Hiyah kev, I had the same problem with my CF-51. And it was working fine on my CF-52 till recently???? I have tried almost everything and still only get sound from the headphones. Its a dual boot machine and the ...

  1. Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3

    Hiyah kev,

    I had the same problem with my CF-51.
    And it was working fine on my CF-52 till recently????

    I have tried almost everything and still only get sound from the
    headphones. Its a dual boot machine and the OTHER OS SOUNDS fine!

    I guess I'll have to wait for a new kernel to come down thew pike!

    Thanks,

    RR

  2. Re: Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3

    Riberto schrieb:

    > I have tried almost everything

    That means "what exactly"?

    > and still only get sound from the
    > headphones.

    Have you turned all mixer channels on & 100%? Have you played with
    ac97_quirks and other sound module options yet?

    Kind regards

    Jan

  3. Re: Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3

    Riberto writes:

    >Hiyah kev,

    >I had the same problem with my CF-51.
    >And it was working fine on my CF-52 till recently????

    >I have tried almost everything and still only get sound from the
    >headphones. Its a dual boot machine and the OTHER OS SOUNDS fine!

    >I guess I'll have to wait for a new kernel to come down thew pike!

    The kernels simply impliment alsa and an old version at that. Alsa is up to
    1.16-- I suspect your kernel has 1.14

    >Thanks,

    >RR

  4. Re: Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3

    Jan Kandziora wrote:

    > Riberto schrieb:
    >>
    >> I have tried almost everything
    >>

    > That means "what exactly"?
    >

    >> and still only get sound from the
    >> headphones.
    >>

    > Have you turned all mixer channels on & 100%? Have you played with
    > ac97_quirks and other sound module options yet?
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jan

    I can't speak for Riberto but Yes, I've tried every combination I could find
    for the intel-hda-snd driver module parameters in the advanced sound
    settings in yast.

    The mixer channels are all up and I've tried every switch setting in
    alsamixer & kmix.

    I also tried downgrading alsa through yast with no joy.

    It worked right 'out of the box' with a boot from a knoppix 5.1 disk but
    Mandrivia live 2008 has the same problem as SuSE 10.3.

    I don't need it bad enough to try downgrading the kernel to the version on
    the Knoppix disk!

    kev.

  5. Re: Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3

    Kevin Lucas wrote:

    > Jan Kandziora wrote:
    >
    >> Riberto schrieb:
    >>>
    >>> I have tried almost everything
    >>>

    >> That means "what exactly"?
    >>

    >>> and still only get sound from the
    >>> headphones.
    >>>

    >> Have you turned all mixer channels on & 100%? Have you played with
    >> ac97_quirks and other sound module options yet?
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> Jan

    > I can't speak for Riberto but Yes, I've tried every combination I could
    > find for the intel-hda-snd driver module parameters in the advanced sound
    > settings in yast.
    >
    > The mixer channels are all up and I've tried every switch setting in
    > alsamixer & kmix.
    >
    > I also tried downgrading alsa through yast with no joy.
    >
    > It worked right 'out of the box' with a boot from a knoppix 5.1 disk but
    > Mandrivia live 2008 has the same problem as SuSE 10.3.
    >
    > I don't need it bad enough to try downgrading the kernel to the version on
    > the Knoppix disk!
    >
    > kev.

    CORRECTION: I didn't have it in front of me at the time; the module name
    is 'snd-hda-intel' and not 'intel-hda-snd' as in my post above.

    kev.

  6. Re: Toughbooks and the sound system on 10.3

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 03:50:12 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Riberto writes:
    >
    >>Hiyah kev,

    >>I had the same problem with my CF-51. And it was working fine on my
    >>CF-52 till recently????

    >>I have tried almost everything and still only get sound from the
    >>headphones. Its a dual boot machine and the OTHER OS SOUNDS fine!

    >>I guess I'll have to wait for a new kernel to come down thew pike!

    > The kernels simply impliment alsa and an old version at that. Alsa is up
    > to 1.16-- I suspect your kernel has 1.14
    >

    >>Thanks,

    >>RR

    FOLLOW UP....

    Nothing I did would restore sound to my (CF-52) Toughbook.

    It is configured as a dual boot (Windows/OpenSuSE 10.3) machine, Yes I
    have to use the other stuff for work.

    Recently, while using XP, I noticed the sound was turned off. I turned
    it on and left it on when I powered down the laptop.

    Later when booting OpenSuSE, I was pleasantly surprised to find the sound
    system FULLY functional!

    Does this mean that The Redmond OS controls the Toughbooks sound
    architecture? Will WONDERS ever cease?

    I just thought you all might want to know...

    THANKS.

+ Reply to Thread