Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot - Suse

This is a discussion on Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot - Suse ; Hi all, I'm a software developer and I would like to install my program in a group of machines (definitely Linux and preferably OpenSuSE, of course) at some shop where lots of different people will be able to use it. ...

  1. Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot

    Hi all,

    I'm a software developer and I would like to install my program in a
    group of machines (definitely Linux and preferably OpenSuSE, of
    course) at some shop where lots of different people will be able to
    use it.

    I would like to set things up in such a way that each time one of the
    computers is booted, it offers a environment resembling a fresh Linux
    installation and includes my custom software. So regardless of what
    other users might have installed, saved or changed a few minutes
    before, all of their things are gone after one reboot.

    I know this is possible because I saw it in action a long time ago,
    but those were Windows machines.

    Can anyone please give me a clue as to how to do this?

    Thank you very much,
    Andy

  2. Re: Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm a software developer and I would like to install my program in a
    > group of machines (definitely Linux and preferably OpenSuSE, of
    > course) at some shop where lots of different people will be able to
    > use it.
    >
    > I would like to set things up in such a way that each time one of the
    > computers is booted, it offers a environment resembling a fresh Linux
    > installation and includes my custom software. So regardless of what
    > other users might have installed, saved or changed a few minutes
    > before, all of their things are gone after one reboot.
    >
    > I know this is possible because I saw it in action a long time ago,
    > but those were Windows machines.
    >
    > Can anyone please give me a clue as to how to do this?

    You can backup the user's directory and then on each reboot delete it
    and copy back the backup.

    For the whole /home tree, this works:

    Initial backup:

    tar -C / -cvf /root/homebackup.tar /home

    On each reboot:

    rm -rf /home/*
    tar -C / -xf /root/homebackup.tar

  3. Re: Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot

    The carbonbased lifeform Andy inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm a software developer and I would like to install my program in a
    > group of machines (definitely Linux and preferably OpenSuSE, of
    > course) at some shop where lots of different people will be able to
    > use it.
    >
    > I would like to set things up in such a way that each time one of the
    > computers is booted, it offers a environment resembling a fresh Linux
    > installation and includes my custom software. So regardless of what
    > other users might have installed, saved or changed a few minutes
    > before, all of their things are gone after one reboot.
    >
    > I know this is possible because I saw it in action a long time ago,
    > but those were Windows machines.
    >
    > Can anyone please give me a clue as to how to do this?

    http://www.ltsp.org/

    You set up a terminal server, and let the PCs boot from the network.
    Each time they get a fresh copy.
    There are ltsp packages for openSUSE, see webpin.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  4. Re: Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > You set up a terminal server, and let the PCs boot from the network.
    > Each time they get a fresh copy.
    > There are ltsp packages for openSUSE, see webpin.

    And the URL for webpin is http://packages.opensuse-community.org/

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  5. Re: Getting a freshly installed-like environment after each reboot

    On Mar 18, 5:33 am, houghi wrote:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > > You set up a terminal server, and let the PCs boot from the network.
    > > Each time they get a fresh copy.
    > > There are ltsp packages for openSUSE, see webpin.

    > And the URL for webpin ishttp://packages.opensuse-community.org/
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    > Gomorrah an apology.

    Thanks a lot guys. This is a good starting point.

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread