Asus eeePC - Suse

This is a discussion on Asus eeePC - Suse ; Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version of it) working on the Asus eeePC? -- --- Paul J. Gans...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Asus eeePC

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  2. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , Paul J Gans
    writes
    >Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >of it) working on the Asus eeePC?

    There is an outline of how on the EEEPC Users Forums somewhere - eve, I
    think, on the wiki.

    Try here for a start.

    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6136&p=1

    I tried a couple of times with Live CD and DVD but failed - but then,
    having only a 2Gb version, I run my OSs from external hard drives.

    I have one box that I use with the hard drive disconnected for the job -
    works fine with eeeXubuntu, now 3 installations on 3 experimental drives
    - but I couldn't get the external USB drive recognised at boot for the
    DVD installation - not sure what went wrong with the Live distro but I
    suspect the USB ports on the old box are short of power and I should
    have had the second cable in my LaCie drive. May yet try again so would
    welcome any experiences.

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  3. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    > In message , Paul J Gans
    > writes
    >>Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >>of it) working on the Asus eeePC?
    >>

    > There is an outline of how on the EEEPC Users Forums somewhere - eve, I
    > think, on the wiki.
    >
    > Try here for a start.
    >

    > http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6136&p=1

    So you say it is on the wiki and then point to somewhere else? Weird.
    http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  4. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , houghi
    writes
    >Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >> In message , Paul J Gans
    >> writes
    >>>Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >>>of it) working on the Asus eeePC?
    >>>

    >> There is an outline of how on the EEEPC Users Forums somewhere - eve, I
    >> think, on the wiki.
    >>
    >> Try here for a start.
    >>

    >> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6136&p=1

    >So you say it is on the wiki and then point to somewhere else? Weird.
    >http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC

    Very observant - might have been more so if you had read more closely.
    I did say I thought there were references in both and I think, if you
    look above, I suggested the OP might *start with the URL. The WIKI link
    is at the top of that page.

    However I will happily let houghi win the point as I have no interest in
    clever comments.

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  5. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    > Very observant - might have been more so if you had read more closely.
    > I did say I thought there were references in both and I think, if you
    > look above, I suggested the OP might *start with the URL. The WIKI link
    > is at the top of that page.
    >
    > However I will happily let houghi win the point as I have no interest in
    > clever comments.

    Wow, grown up behaviour. You must be new here. :-D

    I just thought it was weird. It wasn't a pissing contest. I always find
    it weird when people mention a website and then not give the URL. The
    fact that it is mentioned somehwere else doe not make it less weird.

    Oh and I hope my landlord will be happy with the point you gave me.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  6. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , houghi
    writes
    >Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >> Very observant - might have been more so if you had read more closely.
    >> I did say I thought there were references in both and I think, if you
    >> look above, I suggested the OP might *start with the URL. The WIKI link
    >> is at the top of that page.
    >>
    >> However I will happily let houghi win the point as I have no interest in
    >> clever comments.

    >Wow, grown up behaviour. You must be new here. :-D

    No - been watching you for years - and even learned a bit from you too.
    I just try to help people when I have been where they want to go - don't
    profess to have any useful knowledge.

    >I just thought it was weird. It wasn't a pissing contest.

    Happy top admit you can piss higher than I can if that helps.

    > I always find
    >it weird when people mention a website and then not give the URL. The
    >fact that it is mentioned somehwere else doe not make it less weird.

    Well, now, I believe the bit cut from your quote shows that I said there
    was a specific thread on the *Forum and there was *possibly something on
    the wiki. I gave the URL for the Forum.

    >Oh and I hope my landlord will be happy with the point you gave me.

    Have another one just in case! :-)

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  7. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >>Wow, grown up behaviour. You must be new here. :-D

    > No - been watching you for years - and even learned a bit from you too.

    Did not react to the smiley. You must be new here. (No smiley as they
    are ignored anyway, although one was supposed to go here.)

    > I just try to help people when I have been where they want to go - don't
    > profess to have any useful knowledge.

    Why do you say this? I see no relation to antything. Perhaps you want to
    know unrelated facts. I drive a red car.

    >>I just thought it was weird. It wasn't a pissing contest.

    > Happy top admit you can piss higher than I can if that helps.

    Helps with what?

    >> I always find
    >>it weird when people mention a website and then not give the URL. The
    >>fact that it is mentioned somehwere else doe not make it less weird.

    > Well, now, I believe the bit cut from your quote shows that I said there
    > was a specific thread on the *Forum and there was *possibly something on
    > the wiki. I gave the URL for the Forum.

    Great. No idea why you are defending yourself tough. I still think it is
    weird if people mention a site and not provide a link.

    >>Oh and I hope my landlord will be happy with the point you gave me.

    > Have another one just in case! :-)

    So why are you trying to play the underdog? First you want to give me
    points, then you want to admid I can piss higher and now you try again
    to give me points.

    Somehow for you this IS a pissing contest and the winner is the one with
    the least points, otherwise you would not

    I just said I thought something was weird. You have an other opinion.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  8. Re: Asus eeePC

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    > of it) working on the Asus eeePC?

    CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes

    "that 229 eepc only does web browsing"

    12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead

    just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)

  9. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >In message , Paul J Gans
    > writes
    >>Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >>of it) working on the Asus eeePC?
    >>

    >There is an outline of how on the EEEPC Users Forums somewhere - eve, I
    >think, on the wiki.

    >Try here for a start.

    >http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6136&p=1

    >I tried a couple of times with Live CD and DVD but failed - but then,
    >having only a 2Gb version, I run my OSs from external hard drives.

    >I have one box that I use with the hard drive disconnected for the job -
    >works fine with eeeXubuntu, now 3 installations on 3 experimental drives
    >- but I couldn't get the external USB drive recognised at boot for the
    >DVD installation - not sure what went wrong with the Live distro but I
    >suspect the USB ports on the old box are short of power and I should
    >have had the second cable in my LaCie drive. May yet try again so would
    >welcome any experiences.

    Thanks muchly. That's exactly what I wanted. I can't stand
    the stripped down Xandros and the dumbed down user interface.
    I figured if I'm going to start with major mods, why not go all
    the way.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: Asus eeePC

    houghi wrote:
    >Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >> In message , Paul J Gans
    >> writes
    >>>Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >>>of it) working on the Asus eeePC?
    >>>

    >> There is an outline of how on the EEEPC Users Forums somewhere - eve, I
    >> think, on the wiki.
    >>
    >> Try here for a start.
    >>

    >> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6136&p=1

    >So you say it is on the wiki and then point to somewhere else? Weird.
    >http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC

    Not really. The eeePC pages are wiki, forum, links, and lots of
    other stuff.

    The home page is http://www.eeeuser.com/ My one problem with it
    is that locating specific information isn't easy. I've been using
    the site for a couple of days now and never came across any
    SuSE material until Duncan Kennedy pointed me at it.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  11. Re: Asus eeePC

    limestone-cowboy wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >> of it) working on the Asus eeePC?

    >CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes

    >"that £229 eepc only does web browsing"

    >12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead

    >just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)

    Yeah. I've used the default install to (a) web browse,
    (b) move files among three different machines, (c) read
    mail on two different machines, (d) read newsgroups, (e)
    create a document, (f) listen to internet radio, (g) watch
    a small downloaded 1 minute film, etc, etc.

    Too bad the machine isn't useful.

    And by the way, it fits into a shoulder bag I often carry.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  12. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message <13tou2fmdjmoe85@corp.supernews.com>, limestone-cowboy
    writes
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >> of it) working on the Asus eeePC?

    >CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes
    >
    >"that 229 eepc only does web browsing"
    >
    >12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead
    >
    >just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)

    :-) Perhaps they tried a 2Gb model and didn't look at all the other
    stuff available as default. My 2Gb had only web *mail, unlike the 4 Gb
    one, which comes with, I think, Thunderbird 'though it might be Kmail.
    With the help of the guys and gals on the Forum it was easy enough to
    install Thunderbird although that leaves a rather limited amount of room
    for incoming mail and other files . I know haughi provided us with a
    selection of applications that would fit easily but I do prefer my
    mouse.

    I decided that I would use an external USB Hard drive (actually 2 x80 Gb
    LaCie and one 8Gb - forgotten the make, each testing different setups
    based on oasisbob's eeeXubuntu). Again the Forums helped a lot with the
    "foolproof installation" using a box with the hard drive disconnected -
    all that needs is a minor renaming during the first stage of booting
    from the EEEPC - something even I can manage.

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  13. Re: Asus eeePC

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:15:43 +0000, Duncan Kennedy wrote:

    > In message <13tou2fmdjmoe85@corp.supernews.com>, limestone-cowboy
    > writes
    >>Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>> Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version of it)
    >>> working on the Asus eeePC?

    >>CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes
    >>
    >>"that £229 eepc only does web browsing"
    >>
    >>12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead
    >>
    >>just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)
    >>

    > :-) Perhaps they tried a 2Gb model and didn't look at all the other
    > stuff available as default. My 2Gb had only web *mail, unlike the 4 Gb
    > one, which comes with, I think, Thunderbird 'though it might be Kmail.

    The 4G comes with Thunderbird, but I think Kmail might be there as well.

    > With the help of the guys and gals on the Forum it was easy enough to
    > install Thunderbird although that leaves a rather limited amount of room
    > for incoming mail and other files . I know haughi provided us with a
    > selection of applications that would fit easily but I do prefer my
    > mouse.

    The eee has a lot of scope for trimming as it comes from the factory :-)

    > I decided that I would use an external USB Hard drive (actually 2 x80 Gb
    > LaCie and one 8Gb - forgotten the make, each testing different setups
    > based on oasisbob's eeeXubuntu). Again the Forums helped a lot with the
    > "foolproof installation" using a box with the hard drive disconnected -
    > all that needs is a minor renaming during the first stage of booting
    > from the EEEPC - something even I can manage.

    I find that a 2Gb or 4Gb SD card left in the slot will more than carry
    everything I desperately need with me. Especially since the first book I
    wrote fitted on a floppy disk with room left over :-)

  14. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , Paul J Gans
    writes
    >limestone-cowboy wrote:
    >>Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>> Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >>> of it) working on the Asus eeePC?

    >>CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes

    >>"that 229 eepc only does web browsing"

    >>12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead

    >>just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)

    >Yeah. I've used the default install to (a) web browse,
    >(b) move files among three different machines, (c) read
    >mail on two different machines, (d) read newsgroups, (e)
    >create a document, (f) listen to internet radio, (g) watch
    >a small downloaded 1 minute film, etc, etc.
    >
    >Too bad the machine isn't useful.

    Indeed - I found the ASUS implementation of Xandros very well integrated
    with the hardware. As you say, no problems with getting it onto a mixed
    Linux and XP LAN and my T-Mobile modem was made to work very easily.
    Haven't tried the installed Skype.

    I did have problems with a dial up modem 'though my *wireless dial-up
    modem works perfectly and I've given up Bluetooth modem and phone access
    'though others have been successful

    You can get to the installed KDE GUI and get rid of the "kiddie" tabbed
    interface quite easily from the wiki:

    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/

    (I noticed a UK MicroMart Linux writer seeming to suggest to a
    questioner a rather complex way of moving files to and from a USB stick
    using the command line. - I didn't have to go that way. The file
    manager even automatically lets me see the T-Mobile modem's file storage
    if I forget to stop it!).

    The snags with eeeXubuntu - and my reason for hoping, eventually, to get
    SUSE onto my external drives without having to use the installed Grub -
    seem to come from the choice of the Xfce interface as it was produced
    for installation on a limited drive space with limited disk access
    (solid state with a finite number of disk accesses) and the default
    Thunar file manager which simply doesn't access networks without messing
    about with fuse, which works on one of my drives and not the other -
    work in progress.
    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  15. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , Paul J Gans
    writes

    >Not really. The eeePC pages are wiki, forum, links, and lots of
    >other stuff.
    >
    >The home page is http://www.eeeuser.com/ My one problem with it
    >is that locating specific information isn't easy. I've been using
    >the site for a couple of days now and never came across any
    >SuSE material until Duncan Kennedy pointed me at it.

    I'm rather glad it isn't just me who finds getting information a bit
    fraught on the eeeuser site. It is very much a "working" site and the
    information on a given subject can be on several different Forums - and,
    by nature - quite contradictory at times. However the fold there are
    very helpful as a rule.

    I take it you have "registered"? That seems to be the only way to be
    able to use the Search facility - which also produces a wide variety of
    answers but is better than plodding through Mbs of information. (If you
    haven't yet registered I recommend a cut and paste of the password they
    send you - mine contained a character I simply couldn't find a way to
    generate on the slightly non-standard keyboard - or even tell what it
    was. I really must RTFM one day)

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  16. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >In message <13tou2fmdjmoe85@corp.supernews.com>, limestone-cowboy
    > writes
    >>Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>> Has anyone attempted to get openSUSE (or a cut-down version
    >>> of it) working on the Asus eeePC?

    >>CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes
    >>
    >>"that £229 eepc only does web browsing"
    >>
    >>12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead
    >>
    >>just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)
    >>

    >:-) Perhaps they tried a 2Gb model and didn't look at all the other
    >stuff available as default. My 2Gb had only web *mail, unlike the 4 Gb
    >one, which comes with, I think, Thunderbird 'though it might be Kmail.
    >With the help of the guys and gals on the Forum it was easy enough to
    >install Thunderbird although that leaves a rather limited amount of room
    >for incoming mail and other files . I know haughi provided us with a
    >selection of applications that would fit easily but I do prefer my
    >mouse.

    >I decided that I would use an external USB Hard drive (actually 2 x80 Gb
    >LaCie and one 8Gb - forgotten the make, each testing different setups
    >based on oasisbob's eeeXubuntu). Again the Forums helped a lot with the
    >"foolproof installation" using a box with the hard drive disconnected -
    >all that needs is a minor renaming during the first stage of booting
    >from the EEEPC - something even I can manage.

    I managed to get a 4Gb eeePC. I haven't had a chance to actually
    update anything yet, real life keeps intruding[1]. But if anyone
    else is interested I managed to locate another page with openSuSE
    instructions:

    http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC

    [1] I guess that's why they call it real life...

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  17. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >In message , Paul J Gans
    > writes
    >>limestone-cowboy wrote:

    >>>CLASSIC quote from UK PCWorld employes

    >>>"that £229 eepc only does web browsing"

    >>>12:45hr, Team Valley, Gateshead

    >>>just as I typed a spreadsheet and word document ;-)

    >>Yeah. I've used the default install to (a) web browse,
    >>(b) move files among three different machines, (c) read
    >>mail on two different machines, (d) read newsgroups, (e)
    >>create a document, (f) listen to internet radio, (g) watch
    >>a small downloaded 1 minute film, etc, etc.
    >>
    >>Too bad the machine isn't useful.
    >>

    >Indeed - I found the ASUS implementation of Xandros very well integrated
    >with the hardware. As you say, no problems with getting it onto a mixed
    >Linux and XP LAN and my T-Mobile modem was made to work very easily.
    >Haven't tried the installed Skype.

    >I did have problems with a dial up modem 'though my *wireless dial-up
    >modem works perfectly and I've given up Bluetooth modem and phone access
    >'though others have been successful

    >You can get to the installed KDE GUI and get rid of the "kiddie" tabbed
    >interface quite easily from the wiki:

    >http://wiki.eeeuser.com/

    >(I noticed a UK MicroMart Linux writer seeming to suggest to a
    >questioner a rather complex way of moving files to and from a USB stick
    >using the command line. - I didn't have to go that way. The file
    >manager even automatically lets me see the T-Mobile modem's file storage
    >if I forget to stop it!).

    >The snags with eeeXubuntu - and my reason for hoping, eventually, to get
    >SUSE onto my external drives without having to use the installed Grub -
    >seem to come from the choice of the Xfce interface as it was produced
    >for installation on a limited drive space with limited disk access
    >(solid state with a finite number of disk accesses) and the default
    >Thunar file manager which simply doesn't access networks without messing
    >about with fuse, which works on one of my drives and not the other -
    >work in progress.

    I've not quite worked it out yet, but what I would like to do
    is to install the OS onto a SD card (4 or 8 Gb) and boot from
    that. That way I can have several distros and choose among them
    by just switching SD cards.

    I'd use the built-in flash disk as my "home directory". Since I
    may want to try to install Windows XP on this machine, I'd format
    the home directory with a FAT filesystem or perhaps the standard
    Windows file system since Linux can now read and write that.

    For alternate "off-line" storage I'm going to use memory sticks.

    This could give me the best of all possible worlds. I could even
    keep the original Xandros system if I can manage to change its
    install point (which may be hard wired into it).

    None of this may work the way I hope. I'll keep folks informed.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  18. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >In message , Paul J Gans
    > writes
    >>
    >>Not really. The eeePC pages are wiki, forum, links, and lots of
    >>other stuff.
    >>
    >>The home page is http://www.eeeuser.com/ My one problem with it
    >>is that locating specific information isn't easy. I've been using
    >>the site for a couple of days now and never came across any
    >>SuSE material until Duncan Kennedy pointed me at it.
    >>

    >I'm rather glad it isn't just me who finds getting information a bit
    >fraught on the eeeuser site. It is very much a "working" site and the
    >information on a given subject can be on several different Forums - and,
    >by nature - quite contradictory at times. However the fold there are
    >very helpful as a rule.

    >I take it you have "registered"? That seems to be the only way to be
    >able to use the Search facility - which also produces a wide variety of
    >answers but is better than plodding through Mbs of information. (If you
    >haven't yet registered I recommend a cut and paste of the password they
    >send you - mine contained a character I simply couldn't find a way to
    >generate on the slightly non-standard keyboard - or even tell what it
    >was. I really must RTFM one day)

    I've not yet registered. Just manually searching. After all, I've
    only had the thing for four days and I'm still enjoying playing with
    it.

    >--
    >Duncan K
    >Downtown Dalgety Bay

    Had to look Dalgety Bay up. Looks beautiful to me. Even
    the "Downtown"...

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  19. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , Paul J Gans
    writes
    >Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >>--
    >>Duncan K
    >>Downtown Dalgety Bay

    >Had to look Dalgety Bay up. Looks beautiful to me. Even
    >the "Downtown"...

    :-) Dormitory for Edinburgh - about 7 shops down town and 5 up town!
    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  20. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , Paul J Gans
    writes

    >I've not quite worked it out yet, but what I would like to do
    >is to install the OS onto a SD card (4 or 8 Gb) and boot from
    >that. That way I can have several distros and choose among them
    >by just switching SD cards.

    That was my intention with the external drives. You could do worse than
    install eeeXbuntu on an SD card first. It has been said by some that
    the SD Card slot is a bit flaky but others say you just need one of the
    faster cards. I have eeeXbuntu running from a USB stick - as a Live
    Distro so I haven't set it up to save anything. The instructions for
    these are fine - the original instructions for release 3 fro oasisbob is
    as good a starting point as anywhere:

    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home

    There are other threads if you need them - let me know - I might have
    found them.

    I read that the next edition of Ubuntu proper (March?) will include
    improved wireless access by default and may get around the problem of
    the rather unusual driver - otherwise you need to use one of the
    wrappers and copy the drive from the original installation.

    If you get SUSE running I will be interesting - at the moment - between
    bouts of work - I'm trying to get DreamWeaver working with Wine -
    getting close! OK many people sneer at DreamWeaver and, yes, I can use a
    text editor but my business is developing and maintaining websites and
    CD Business cards, mainly with web sites - I need to work fast in
    something I know.

    >For alternate "off-line" storage I'm going to use memory sticks.

    That works well - and it is possible to use them to run applications too
    - back to the forums

    >This could give me the best of all possible worlds. I could even
    >keep the original Xandros system if I can manage to change its
    >install point (which may be hard wired into it).
    >
    >None of this may work the way I hope. I'll keep folks informed.

    Please do.
    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay