Asus eeePC - Suse

This is a discussion on Asus eeePC - Suse ; Duncan Kennedy wrote: >In message , Paul J Gans >That was my intention with the external drives. You could do worse than >install eeeXbuntu on an SD card first. It has been said by some that >the SD Card slot ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Asus eeePC

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >In message , Paul J Gans

    >That was my intention with the external drives. You could do worse than
    >install eeeXbuntu on an SD card first. It has been said by some that
    >the SD Card slot is a bit flaky but others say you just need one of the
    >faster cards. I have eeeXbuntu running from a USB stick - as a Live
    >Distro so I haven't set it up to save anything. The instructions for
    >these are fine - the original instructions for release 3 fro oasisbob is
    >as good a starting point as anywhere:

    >http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home

    >There are other threads if you need them - let me know - I might have
    >found them.

    Thanks. I've found some too.

    >I read that the next edition of Ubuntu proper (March?) will include
    >improved wireless access by default and may get around the problem of
    >the rather unusual driver - otherwise you need to use one of the
    >wrappers and copy the drive from the original installation.

    Yeah. Everybody makes that clear. The code for the driver
    is on the CD that comes with the eeePC.

    >If you get SUSE running I will be interesting - at the moment - between
    >bouts of work - I'm trying to get DreamWeaver working with Wine -
    >getting close! OK many people sneer at DreamWeaver and, yes, I can use a
    >text editor but my business is developing and maintaining websites and
    >CD Business cards, mainly with web sites - I need to work fast in
    >something I know.

    Yeah.

    I'd love to be PC independent. I can almost get by using
    Photoshop. But I dearly *love* Dreamweaver and there is no
    linux equivalent.

    The only site I do is my own, but still...

    >>For alternate "off-line" storage I'm going to use memory sticks.

    >That works well - and it is possible to use them to run applications too
    >- back to the forums
    >>
    >>This could give me the best of all possible worlds. I could even
    >>keep the original Xandros system if I can manage to change its
    >>install point (which may be hard wired into it).
    >>
    >>None of this may work the way I hope. I'll keep folks informed.
    >>

    >Please do.

    I will.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  2. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message , Paul J Gans
    writes

    >Yeah. Everybody makes that clear. The code for the driver
    >is on the CD that comes with the eeePC.

    Of course - I'd forgotten that.

    >I'd love to be PC independent. I can almost get by using
    >Photoshop.

    I can get away with The Gimp but I've had Photoshop since version 4 -
    and the latest has so much it would take years to find it all.

    >But I dearly *love* Dreamweaver and there is no
    >linux equivalent.

    I could just about manage a quick standard update with Kompozer - and it
    / NVU is getting better - but I find that I cut and paste lumps of text
    from emails and attachments into the WYSIWYG in DreamWeaver then go to
    the top and alter the code directly to standardise some things - and
    amend the JavaScript from time to time. Kompozer reminds me a lot of
    HotMetal which I started out with until I had managed to earn enough to
    afford DreamWeaver. Hot Metal died when it nearly went to the wall and
    Corel bought it and killed it. It was quite usable and had the sort of
    tabbed interface and code views that NVU / Kompozer has - in fact, the
    more I think of it, the more Kompozer and HotMetal look alike.

    For quick slicing - and better image compression than Photoshop, at
    least in earlier versions, Fireworks is my standard. It can slice and
    produce JavaScript navigation very quickly - saves so much time even if
    you need to modify the JavaScript for some special effect after.
    Fireworks will be my next Wine project.

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  3. Re: Asus eeePC

    i'm typing this on my eeepc 4G.
    i'm running opensuse 10.3, as painless an install as on any other
    machine. there is now a repo for wired and wireless network card
    drivers, 3D runs ootb, as long as you check the "enable 3D" box on
    install (or sax if you forgot). a quick mod of xorg.conf to change the
    screen size from 800x600 to the eeepc's 800x480 and we're good to go.
    sound works fine (speakers are a little tinny but even cheap
    headphones sound great), webcam works, videos look great with vlc
    player, even able to connect to the net via my nokia n70 (wvdial).
    4GB is fine for the standard cd install, but i wanted kernel sources
    and a bunch of extras and games etc, so i mounted /home and /usr on
    seperate partitions of a 16GB A-Data sdhc card (setup during install)
    newton said something along the lines of "i have achieved greatness by
    standing on the shoulders of giants", virtually non of this work is
    creditable to me, there are some fantastic sources of information out
    there, www.eeeuser.com being the place to start.
    my eeepc even makes the battery low noise and then shuts it's self
    down (eeexubuntu didn't do that).

  4. Re: Asus eeePC

    In message
    <29a7cf1b-5de3-4bcb-8e1d-2f85827cd77b@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    alistairjolly@gmail.com writes
    >i'm typing this on my eeepc 4G.
    >i'm running opensuse 10.3, as painless an install as on any other
    >machine. there is now a repo for wired and wireless network card
    >drivers, 3D runs ootb, as long as you check the "enable 3D" box on
    >install (or sax if you forgot).

    Thanks for this - I made a half-hearted attempt to do it on an external
    80GB USB drive a few weeks ago but couldn't get installation CD to
    recognise the HD on boot (I do these installations on a separate box
    without an internal hard drive.) I suspect the problem may have been
    power to my external drive and I will have another shot now with the
    extra power cable in.

    Any guide to the repo for the network drivers, please.

    If you changed anything from the eeuser forums or wiki could you please
    post your findings there too? I haven't looked for a couple of days so
    perhaps you did.

    Many thanks for the update

    --
    Duncan K