Networking help needed - Suse

This is a discussion on Networking help needed - Suse ; Weird situation: wife's notebook (that makes this a critical issue!) has suddenly decided not to properly acquire a DHCP lease and info on either the wired Ethernet port or the wireless port. Removing the devices, re-booting and re-defining the network ...

  1. Networking help needed

    Weird situation: wife's notebook (that makes this a critical issue!) has
    suddenly decided not to properly acquire a DHCP lease and info on either
    the wired Ethernet port or the wireless port. Removing the devices,
    re-booting and re-defining the network cards does not solve anything.
    Here's the key part of all this: if I set a fixed ip address and supply the
    appropriate routing and DNS info, all works fine. Looks like I have a
    networking module (DHCP client?) hosed. Any suggestions for repairing this?

    I'm pretty confident that there is no hardware problem here since the manual
    setup works but I have no idea where to begin beyond forcing a fsck on boot
    and bumbling through. The manual setup will get me throught the weekend
    but I can already hear the noise level rising to a piercing pitch if I
    don't get this fixed by Monday.

    One further possible clue: The laptop is set up to dual boot to XP and XP
    has the same problem which is even stranger.

    --
    Will Honea

  2. Re: Networking help needed

    Will Honea wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > One further possible clue: The laptop is set up to dual boot to XP and XP
    > has the same problem which is even stranger.

    The only thing XP and Linux have in common on your laptop is the hardware
    and the router delivering the IP address. You should log on the router and
    check if its configuration related to DHCP.

  3. Re: Networking help needed

    Will Honea wrote:

    > Weird situation: wife's notebook (that makes this a critical issue!) has
    > suddenly decided not to properly acquire a DHCP lease and info on either
    > the wired Ethernet port or the wireless port. Removing the devices,
    > re-booting and re-defining the network cards does not solve anything.
    > Here's the key part of all this: if I set a fixed ip address and supply
    > the
    > appropriate routing and DNS info, all works fine. Looks like I have a
    > networking module (DHCP client?) hosed. Any suggestions for repairing
    > this?
    >
    > I'm pretty confident that there is no hardware problem here since the
    > manual setup works but I have no idea where to begin beyond forcing a fsck
    > on boot
    > and bumbling through. The manual setup will get me throught the weekend
    > but I can already hear the noise level rising to a piercing pitch if I
    > don't get this fixed by Monday.
    >
    > One further possible clue: The laptop is set up to dual boot to XP and XP
    > has the same problem which is even stranger.

    Unplug the router and modem, all cables and power. Leave off for about 20
    minutes. Put back together and retry DHCP. I've had to do this for about
    50 customers so far this week or two because of bad weather in Northeastern
    Ohio.

    One customer was more difficult because the shared keys somehow got changed
    to open.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Networking help needed

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 03:24:58 -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:

    > Will Honea wrote:
    >
    >> Weird situation: wife's notebook (that makes this a critical issue!)
    >> has suddenly decided not to properly acquire a DHCP lease and info on
    >> either the wired Ethernet port or the wireless port. Removing the
    >> devices, re-booting and re-defining the network cards does not solve
    >> anything. Here's the key part of all this: if I set a fixed ip address
    >> and supply the
    >> appropriate routing and DNS info, all works fine. Looks like I have a
    >> networking module (DHCP client?) hosed. Any suggestions for repairing
    >> this?
    >>
    >> I'm pretty confident that there is no hardware problem here since the
    >> manual setup works but I have no idea where to begin beyond forcing a
    >> fsck on boot
    >> and bumbling through. The manual setup will get me throught the
    >> weekend but I can already hear the noise level rising to a piercing
    >> pitch if I don't get this fixed by Monday.
    >>
    >> One further possible clue: The laptop is set up to dual boot to XP and
    >> XP has the same problem which is even stranger.
    >>

    > Unplug the router and modem, all cables and power. Leave off for about
    > 20 minutes. Put back together and retry DHCP. I've had to do this for
    > about 50 customers so far this week or two because of bad weather in
    > Northeastern Ohio.

    It may also be possible to do it less drastically by going to the DHCP
    setup page in the router and clearing all the DHCP leases.

    > One customer was more difficult because the shared keys somehow got
    > changed to open.

    Heh :-)

  5. Re: Networking help needed

    Darrell Stec wrote:>
    > Unplug the router and modem, all cables and power. Leave off for about 20
    > minutes. Put back together and retry DHCP. I've had to do this for about
    > 50 customers so far this week or two because of bad weather in
    > Northeastern Ohio.
    >
    > One customer was more difficult because the shared keys somehow got
    > changed to open.

    Good point. Her laptop is running 10.2, mine has 10.2 and there are 4 other
    machines using the router via ethernet using some mix of openSUSE 10.2/3,
    Win 2K/XP/Vista, or OS/2. Of the 6 machines only the wife's machine is
    having any problem - go figure.

    This leads to another question you may be able to answer, since you appear
    to be in the business. For the last few weeks my DSL line had been slowly
    dying. I got really bad this week so I called Qwest and they "fixed" the
    problem by replacing the direct-to-co (copper) link with a fiber optic
    route for the 3000 foot run to the co (MUCH better signal!). In the
    process, I had to make a single change to the modem/router - the original
    mode was PPOA and I had to go to PPOE for the fiber route. I can't see why
    that should affect the situation, but is that a possible issue? As I said,
    this is the only affected in any obvious way but I'm no expert on such
    arcania.

    --
    Will Honea
    whonea@yahoo.com