USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux - Suse

This is a discussion on USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux - Suse ; Hello everyone, If you know of a good antennae/HDTV NTSC (US) USB-based TV tuner to be used under Linux (predominantly OpenSuSE) please shout. Thanks in advance. Boris....

  1. USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux

    Hello everyone,

    If you know of a good antennae/HDTV NTSC (US) USB-based TV tuner to be
    used under Linux (predominantly OpenSuSE) please shout.

    Thanks in advance.

    Boris.

  2. Re: USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > If you know of a good antennae/HDTV NTSC (US) USB-based TV tuner to be
    > used under Linux (predominantly OpenSuSE) please shout.

    I have an OnAir HDTV GT USB tuner and have yet to get it to work under
    GNU/Linux (OpenSuSE 10.3). Recent searches have only turned up some
    "working on" Linux support. The MFR does not have native drivers as
    yet.

    AMDer

  3. Re: USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > If you know of a good antennae/HDTV NTSC (US) USB-based TV tuner to be
    > used under Linux (predominantly OpenSuSE) please shout.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Boris.

    HDTV is ATSC, not NTSC. NTSC is the current standard for analog TV in
    the US, and is to be phased out for most over-the-air TV next February.
    Unless you have it hooked to a converter box, you'd be out of luck then
    with NTSC. Even then, all you can get with the converter is SDTV
    quality. If you're looking for HDTV, you need an HDTV ATSC tuner, and
    they're harder to find.

    TJ

  4. Re: USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux

    On Mar 16, 12:46 pm, TJ wrote:
    > borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello everyone,

    > > If you know of a good antennae/HDTV NTSC (US) USB-based TV tuner to be
    > > used under Linux (predominantly OpenSuSE) please shout.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > Boris.

    > HDTV is ATSC, not NTSC. NTSC is the current standard for analog TV in
    > the US, and is to be phased out for most over-the-air TV next February.
    > Unless you have it hooked to a converter box, you'd be out of luck then
    > with NTSC. Even then, all you can get with the converter is SDTV
    > quality. If you're looking for HDTV, you need an HDTV ATSC tuner, and
    > they're harder to find.
    >
    > TJ

    Thanks. Yes, I was wrong - obviously it is an NTSC tuner I am looking
    for for now.

    Looks like a converter box is something you can get for under $150. So
    the next step is to find a good USB NTSC tuner for my Linux box. Do
    you know of any?

    Boris.

  5. Re: USB-based NTSC TV tuner to run under Linux

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 16, 12:46 pm, TJ wrote:
    >> borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello everyone,
    >>> If you know of a good antennae/HDTV NTSC (US) USB-based TV tuner to be
    >>> used under Linux (predominantly OpenSuSE) please shout.
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>> Boris.

    >> HDTV is ATSC, not NTSC. NTSC is the current standard for analog TV in
    >> the US, and is to be phased out for most over-the-air TV next February.
    >> Unless you have it hooked to a converter box, you'd be out of luck then
    >> with NTSC. Even then, all you can get with the converter is SDTV
    >> quality. If you're looking for HDTV, you need an HDTV ATSC tuner, and
    >> they're harder to find.
    >>
    >> TJ

    > Thanks. Yes, I was wrong - obviously it is an NTSC tuner I am looking
    > for for now.
    >
    > Looks like a converter box is something you can get for under $150. So
    > the next step is to find a good USB NTSC tuner for my Linux box. Do
    > you know of any?

    I use the Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2. It works well.. does its own
    mpeg2 encoding so your machine doesn't have to. This means you
    can just do things like:

    cat /dev/video >capture.mpg

    (for example)

    Takes a little bit to get setup, have to do a firmware extract,
    but folks have written some utilities that make that pretty easy.
    Also, I wrote my own PVR (sort of) software around the thing.
    I wasn't have to get any video4linux capable programs to work
    with it.

+ Reply to Thread