Dual boot on Sata 300gig - Suse

This is a discussion on Dual boot on Sata 300gig - Suse ; I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the first partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I ...

  1. Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the first
    partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux
    partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I go to
    the grub menu and select windows, windows crashes with a corrupt drive
    blue screen. It worked on my other systems but this one does the same
    thing 3 times now. Used yast to redo the boot loader and same problem.
    Used 2000 disk to fix the MBR then the system boots windows immediately
    but still crashes with corrupt disk. Somehow Opensuse is corrupting my
    NTFS partition. Anybody else install dual boot on an SATA drive?
    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  2. Re: Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:01:44 UTC, "Blattus Slafaly 0/00 "

    wrote:

    > I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the first
    > partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux
    > partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I go to
    > the grub menu and select windows, windows crashes with a corrupt drive
    > blue screen. It worked on my other systems but this one does the same
    > thing 3 times now. Used yast to redo the boot loader and same problem.
    > Used 2000 disk to fix the MBR then the system boots windows immediately
    > but still crashes with corrupt disk. Somehow Opensuse is corrupting my
    > NTFS partition. Anybody else install dual boot on an SATA drive?

    I was having similar trouble with a large SATA drive and found out
    that you have to have the win2000 partition less than 132GB (or 130
    something). This is because by default W2K large drives is not set in
    the W2k registry when installing. After it is installed you can do
    the registry thing and then increase the W2K partition if you need to.
    Mine appeared to install correctly also but the went blue screen on
    reboot. The problem with me was the above and NOT SuSE
    Paul
    --

  3. Re: Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:32:23 -0400, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:01:44 UTC, "Blattus Slafaly œ ¾ 0/00 "
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the
    >>> first partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux
    >>> partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I go
    >>> to the grub menu and select windows, windows crashes with a corrupt
    >>> drive blue screen. It worked on my other systems but this one does the
    >>> same thing 3 times now. Used yast to redo the boot loader and same
    >>> problem. Used 2000 disk to fix the MBR then the system boots windows
    >>> immediately but still crashes with corrupt disk. Somehow Opensuse is
    >>> corrupting my NTFS partition. Anybody else install dual boot on an
    >>> SATA drive?

    >> I was having similar trouble with a large SATA drive and found out that
    >> you have to have the win2000 partition less than 132GB (or 130
    >> something). This is because by default W2K large drives is not set in
    >> the W2k registry when installing. After it is installed you can do the
    >> registry thing and then increase the W2K partition if you need to.
    >> Mine appeared to install correctly also but the went blue screen on
    >> reboot. The problem with me was the above and NOT SuSE
    >> Paul

    > W2K wouldn't let me make a partition larger than 99 gig anyway. When I
    > reinstall W2k it trashes all the Linux partitions too after reformatting
    > the original 99gig. Well, screw W2k this is going to be an Opensuse
    > exclusive drive.

    If you really want Win2K you might consider VirtualBox

    I'm using VirtualBox on OpenSuSE 10.3. My Windows XP virtual machine
    "boots" in 15 seconds. If I save a "snapshot" using VirtualBox (rather
    than shutting down from within XP) the "saved state" boots in 5 seconds
    to the XP desktop with apps still running.

    Sound, shared folders, shared clipboard, auto graphic resize (1280x1024)
    if I run it full screen, all working. Haven't played with USB storage yet
    as, if you don't take care, you can have a conflict between the host and
    guest operating systems both trying to grab the USB port.

    "Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris
    hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including
    but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista), DOS/
    Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.

    VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an
    ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and
    platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a
    dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while innotek
    ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria."

    http://www.virtualbox.org/

    Regards
    Gordon

  4. Re: Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    PaulRS wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:01:44 UTC, "Blattus Slafaly 0/00 "
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the first
    >> partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux
    >> partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I go to
    >> the grub menu and select windows, windows crashes with a corrupt drive
    >> blue screen. It worked on my other systems but this one does the same
    >> thing 3 times now. Used yast to redo the boot loader and same problem.
    >> Used 2000 disk to fix the MBR then the system boots windows immediately
    >> but still crashes with corrupt disk. Somehow Opensuse is corrupting my
    >> NTFS partition. Anybody else install dual boot on an SATA drive?

    > I was having similar trouble with a large SATA drive and found out
    > that you have to have the win2000 partition less than 132GB (or 130
    > something). This is because by default W2K large drives is not set in
    > the W2k registry when installing. After it is installed you can do
    > the registry thing and then increase the W2K partition if you need to.
    > Mine appeared to install correctly also but the went blue screen on
    > reboot. The problem with me was the above and NOT SuSE
    > Paul

    W2K wouldn't let me make a partition larger than 99 gig anyway. When I
    reinstall W2k it trashes all the Linux partitions too after reformatting
    the original 99gig. Well, screw W2k this is going to be an Opensuse
    exclusive drive.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  5. Re: Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    Gordon Darling wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:32:23 -0400, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    >
    >> PaulRS wrote:

    >>> I was having similar trouble with a large SATA drive and found out that
    >>> you have to have the win2000 partition less than 132GB (or 130
    >>> something). This is because by default W2K large drives is not set in
    >>> the W2k registry when installing. After it is installed you can do the
    >>> registry thing and then increase the W2K partition if you need to.
    >>> Mine appeared to install correctly also but the went blue screen on
    >>> reboot. The problem with me was the above and NOT SuSE
    >>> Paul

    >> W2K wouldn't let me make a partition larger than 99 gig anyway. When I
    >> reinstall W2k it trashes all the Linux partitions too after reformatting
    >> the original 99gig. Well, screw W2k this is going to be an Opensuse
    >> exclusive drive.

    > If you really want Win2K you might consider VirtualBox
    >
    > I'm using VirtualBox on OpenSuSE 10.3. My Windows XP virtual machine
    > "boots" in 15 seconds. If I save a "snapshot" using VirtualBox (rather
    > than shutting down from within XP) the "saved state" boots in 5 seconds
    > to the XP desktop with apps still running.
    >
    > Sound, shared folders, shared clipboard, auto graphic resize (1280x1024)
    > if I run it full screen, all working. Haven't played with USB storage yet
    > as, if you don't take care, you can have a conflict between the host and
    > guest operating systems both trying to grab the USB port.
    >
    > "Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris
    > hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including
    > but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista), DOS/
    > Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.
    >
    > VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an
    > ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and
    > platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a
    > dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while innotek
    > ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria."
    >
    > http://www.virtualbox.org/
    >
    > Regards
    > Gordon

    This looks good. Thanks.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ف ٣

  6. Re: Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:32:23 UTC, "Blattus Slafaly 0/00 "

    wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:01:44 UTC, "Blattus Slafaly 0/00 "
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the first
    > >> partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux
    > >> partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I go to
    > >> the grub menu and select windows, windows crashes with a corrupt drive
    > >> blue screen. It worked on my other systems but this one does the same
    > >> thing 3 times now. Used yast to redo the boot loader and same problem.
    > >> Used 2000 disk to fix the MBR then the system boots windows immediately
    > >> but still crashes with corrupt disk. Somehow Opensuse is corrupting my
    > >> NTFS partition. Anybody else install dual boot on an SATA drive?

    > > I was having similar trouble with a large SATA drive and found out
    > > that you have to have the win2000 partition less than 132GB (or 130
    > > something). This is because by default W2K large drives is not set in
    > > the W2k registry when installing. After it is installed you can do
    > > the registry thing and then increase the W2K partition if you need to.
    > > Mine appeared to install correctly also but the went blue screen on
    > > reboot. The problem with me was the above and NOT SuSE
    > > Paul

    > W2K wouldn't let me make a partition larger than 99 gig anyway. When I
    > reinstall W2k it trashes all the Linux partitions too after reformatting
    > the original 99gig. Well, screw W2k this is going to be an Opensuse
    > exclusive drive.

    One further note I thought about in my installation.
    (1) My W2K SP4 did not like SATA. I used the utility program of
    the manufacturer (Western Digital) to prepare the partition for W2K.
    Whatever was needed there was supplied by the WD partitioning for it's
    own drive. This was where I could only make the W2K partition 130??
    something GB.
    (2) I also made sure that the W2K partition worked by itself BEFORE
    putting SuSE on the other partitions. When I was finished, it all
    worked on a WD 300GB SATA
    Looks like you have other options if you want, but you might think
    about these things. Good Luck!
    Paul
    --

  7. Re: Dual boot on Sata 300gig

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:32:23 -0400, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:01:44 UTC, "Blattus Slafaly œ ¾ 0/00 "
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't seem to get this system up. I install Windows 2000 on the
    >>> first partition fine. Then install Opensuse 10.3 on the extended linux
    >>> partitions A swap of 2 gig, root 20 gig and home 178 gig. When I go
    >>> to the grub menu and select windows, windows crashes with a corrupt
    >>> drive blue screen. It worked on my other systems but this one does the
    >>> same thing 3 times now. Used yast to redo the boot loader and same
    >>> problem. Used 2000 disk to fix the MBR then the system boots windows
    >>> immediately but still crashes with corrupt disk. Somehow Opensuse is
    >>> corrupting my NTFS partition. Anybody else install dual boot on an
    >>> SATA drive?

    >> I was having similar trouble with a large SATA drive and found out that
    >> you have to have the win2000 partition less than 132GB (or 130
    >> something). This is because by default W2K large drives is not set in
    >> the W2k registry when installing. After it is installed you can do the
    >> registry thing and then increase the W2K partition if you need to.
    >> Mine appeared to install correctly also but the went blue screen on
    >> reboot. The problem with me was the above and NOT SuSE
    >> Paul

    > W2K wouldn't let me make a partition larger than 99 gig anyway. When I
    > reinstall W2k it trashes all the Linux partitions too after reformatting
    > the original 99gig. Well, screw W2k this is going to be an Opensuse
    > exclusive drive.

    Does it really "trash all the Linux partitions" or does it merely wipe
    out the MBR? If only the latter it's quite easy to repair from a Live CD.

+ Reply to Thread