Trouble with Xen: loosing VNC connection... can't find it again - Suse

This is a discussion on Trouble with Xen: loosing VNC connection... can't find it again - Suse ; I'm attempting to install Windows XP using OpenSuse 10.3 with it's Xen 3.1.0 My Machine: CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (I think) Memory: 2GB HD: ample Using the GUI Apps, I've created a VM and started the installation of ...

  1. Trouble with Xen: loosing VNC connection... can't find it again

    I'm attempting to install Windows XP using OpenSuse 10.3 with it's Xen
    3.1.0

    My Machine:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (I think)
    Memory: 2GB
    HD: ample

    Using the GUI Apps, I've created a VM and started the installation of
    Windows XP.
    The system reboots and continues the installation.
    Eventually the VM reboots and then can be found in a blocked state
    using xm -list

    "xm list" output:
    Name ID Mem VCPUs State
    Time(s)
    Domain-0 0 1743 2
    r----- 73.0
    xph 1 256
    1 -b---- 3.8

    My trouble is I can't seem to connect VNC to the console once it is
    lost during the Windows XP installation process. I've tried all of
    the usual suspects of commands and ports using VNC. I know it should
    be working becuase VNC came up during the initial install process and
    the conole looked fine. I've found people all over the internet with
    this same problem, but there appears to be no documentation on the
    solution anywhere.

    Can anyone help?

    Oh yes, one more tidbit:
    Here is the output of a filtered netstat command
    netstat -l -v | grep tcp
    tcp 0 0 *:5801 *:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 localhost:vnc-server *:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:5901 *:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:sunrpc *:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 localhost:smtp *:*
    LISTEN

    I've tried using ip address and hostnames locally. VNC connection 1
    connects to the hosts terminal not the VM.

    Much thanks with any help on this.

  2. Re: Trouble with Xen: loosing VNC connection... can't find it again

    On Mar 13, 7:24 pm, Dougga wrote:
    > I'm attempting to install Windows XP using OpenSuse 10.3 with it's Xen
    > 3.1.0
    >
    > My Machine:
    > CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (I think)
    > Memory: 2GB
    > HD: ample
    >
    > Using the GUI Apps, I've created a VM and started the installation of
    > Windows XP.
    > The system reboots and continues the installation.
    > Eventually the VM reboots and then can be found in a blocked state
    > using xm -list
    >
    > "xm list" output:
    > Name ID Mem VCPUs State
    > Time(s)
    > Domain-0 0 1743 2
    > r----- 73.0
    > xph 1 256
    > 1 -b---- 3.8
    >
    > My trouble is I can't seem to connect VNC to the console once it is
    > lost during the Windows XP installation process. I've tried all of
    > the usual suspects of commands and ports using VNC. I know it should
    > be working becuase VNC came up during the initial install process and
    > the conole looked fine. I've found people all over the internet with
    > this same problem, but there appears to be no documentation on the
    > solution anywhere.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Oh yes, one more tidbit:
    > Here is the output of a filtered netstat command
    > netstat -l -v | grep tcp
    > tcp 0 0 *:5801 *:*
    > LISTEN
    > tcp 0 0 localhost:vnc-server *:*
    > LISTEN
    > tcp 0 0 *:5901 *:*
    > LISTEN
    > tcp 0 0 *:sunrpc *:*
    > LISTEN
    > tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:*
    > LISTEN
    > tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:*
    > LISTEN
    > tcp 0 0 localhost:smtp *:*
    > LISTEN
    >
    > I've tried using ip address and hostnames locally. VNC connection 1
    > connects to the hosts terminal not the VM.
    >
    > Much thanks with any help on this.

    This is interesting.
    The Suse and Xen sites are basically closed.
    It appears there is no help other than paid help.
    I will attempt this paid service to see what level of assistance and
    expertise I find.
    I'll report back here.

    This will be a critical test as Xen is an integral part of the Suse
    infrastructure. If no public support is available and professional
    support is the only answer, it's quality MUST be of a certain caliber
    or I think it only makes sense to choose another platform.

+ Reply to Thread