Network problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Network problem - Suse ; Hi There, I new to Suse Linux. I have installed it on my laptop(Dell Latitude D630) two days ago. and I am facing an strange problem related to network configuration. I used my lab network for installation of suse. And ...

  1. Network problem

    Hi There, I new to Suse Linux. I have installed it on my laptop(Dell
    Latitude D630) two days ago. and I am facing an strange problem
    related to network configuration. I used my lab network for
    installation of suse. And I am able to access internet from lab. But
    when I use my home network (eircom,ireland), i get the information
    that it is connect to eircom, but when I try to surf internet I get
    error message on internet browsers.

    Please help me to solve this problem. Sorry for my weak English
    knowledge.
    Thanks
    --
    Manu

  2. Re: Network problem

    Manu schreef:
    > Hi There, I new to Suse Linux. I have installed it on my laptop(Dell
    > Latitude D630) two days ago. and I am facing an strange problem
    > related to network configuration. I used my lab network for
    > installation of suse. And I am able to access internet from lab. But
    > when I use my home network (eircom,ireland), i get the information
    > that it is connect to eircom, but when I try to surf internet I get
    > error message on internet browsers.
    >
    > Please help me to solve this problem. Sorry for my weak English
    > knowledge.
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Manu

    What error did you get? Maybe you use dhcp in your lab but not in your
    home? Maybe you get different ip range from your dhcp server? Do you
    use wireless in your lab but not in your home? Try to be more specific
    so other people also can understand you problem.

  3. Re: Network problem

    Manu wrote:
    > Hi There, I new to Suse Linux. I have installed it on my laptop(Dell
    > Latitude D630) two days ago. and I am facing an strange problem
    > related to network configuration. I used my lab network for
    > installation of suse. And I am able to access internet from lab. But
    > when I use my home network (eircom,ireland), i get the information
    > that it is connect to eircom, but when I try to surf internet I get
    > error message on internet browsers.

    What error message do you get?

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  4. Re: Network problem

    On 13 Mar, 12:11, houghi wrote:
    > Manu wrote:
    > > Hi There, I new to Suse Linux. I have installed it on my laptop(Dell
    > > Latitude D630) two days ago. and I am facing an strange problem
    > > related to network configuration. I used my lab network for
    > > installation of suse. And I am able to access internet from lab. But
    > > when I use my home network (eircom,ireland), i get the information
    > > that it is connect to eircom, but when I try to surf internet I get
    > > error message on internet browsers.

    > What error message do you get?
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    > will start thinking and the people will stop.
    > -- Tron (1982)

    And are you using
    - static address on the laptop or DHCP?
    - default route set manually or via DHCP?
    - nameservers statically configured or via DHCP?

    Also check /var/log/messages for anything relevant.

    C.

  5. Re: Network problem

    On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 02:06 -0700, Manu wrote:
    > Hi There, I new to Suse Linux. I have installed it on my laptop(Dell
    > Latitude D630) two days ago. and I am facing an strange problem
    > related to network configuration. I used my lab network for
    > installation of suse. And I am able to access internet from lab. But
    > when I use my home network (eircom,ireland), i get the information
    > that it is connect to eircom, but when I try to surf internet I get
    > error message on internet browsers.
    >
    > Please help me to solve this problem. Sorry for my weak English
    > knowledge.

    What error messages? I have a D630 running openSUSE 10.3.

    Does your company use a proxy? You probably need to disable
    that when at home. That's my best guess.

+ Reply to Thread