openSUSE forums - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE forums - Suse ; http://forums.opensuse.org Cewl, although I personaly detest forums, I think it is great to see them all pulling together. houghi -- You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: openSUSE forums

  1. openSUSE forums


    http://forums.opensuse.org

    Cewl, although I personaly detest forums, I think it is great to see
    them all pulling together.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  2. Re: openSUSE forums

    houghi wrote:
    > http://forums.opensuse.org
    >
    > Cewl, although I personaly detest forums, I think it is great to see
    > them all pulling together.
    >
    > houghi


    Just saw this.

    Though I'm not a big fan of forums myself, this will be a very nice
    resource to have, with all of them in one place. I wish though that
    they would use a Usenet<->Web gateway, so that users using the forum
    would see Usenet posts too, and posts submitted to the forum would also
    be posted on Usenet.

    In other words, something like this: http://www.unixadmintalk.com

    Sometimes, users of this style of forum don't even know that some posts
    are originating from Usenet.

    But this is probably never going to happen ;P

  3. Re: openSUSE forums

    On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 18:23 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    > > http://forums.opensuse.org
    > >
    > > Cewl, although I personaly detest forums, I think it is great to see
    > > them all pulling together.
    > >
    > > houghi

    >
    > Just saw this.
    >
    > Though I'm not a big fan of forums myself, this will be a very nice
    > resource to have, with all of them in one place. I wish though that
    > they would use a Usenet<->Web gateway, so that users using the forum
    > would see Usenet posts too, and posts submitted to the forum would also
    > be posted on Usenet.
    >
    > In other words, something like this: http://www.unixadmintalk.com
    >
    > Sometimes, users of this style of forum don't even know that some posts
    > are originating from Usenet.


    You mean we like what Novell CURRENTLY is doing?? The Novell
    official SUSE support groups are combo web forum/nntp things.

    Certainly doable. Shoot I used to run one a long time ago that
    was a web forum/nntp and maillist thingy.



  4. Re: openSUSE forums

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Though I'm not a big fan of forums myself, this will be a very nice
    > resource to have, with all of them in one place. I wish though that
    > they would use a Usenet<->Web gateway, so that users using the forum
    > would see Usenet posts too, and posts submitted to the forum would also
    > be posted on Usenet.


    Why? Why? Why do you hate me so much? There was one acceptable Usenet
    interface and Google killed it. I can not even use it to search
    information on Usenet anymore. http://dejanews.com Sigh.

    There are some local idiots who tried it and failed. Hull Linux comes to
    mind.

    > In other words, something like this: http://www.unixadmintalk.com


    Great, another one who doesn't understand that you can not paint sound.
    Some people are able to see sound as colours, but they are a minority.
    Please just accept that Usenet is not a Forum and a forum is not Usenet.
    They are two different things. Don't try to make them the same. Do not
    confuse them. Just because something is possible does not mean it must
    be done and then kept on going.

    No need to do the proof of concept anymore.

    From their FAQ:
    In order to fully utilize the abilities of this forum,

    Not one word about the fact that it is Usenet people are posting on and
    that they do not need the webinterface in the first place.

    > Sometimes, users of this style of forum don't even know that some posts
    > are originating from Usenet.


    You make it sound as if that would be a bad thing.

    > But this is probably never going to happen ;P


    I hope not. If somebody likes forums, please go there. If tis means that
    everybody leaves, except me, that is ok. If it means the end op Usenet,
    that is also good. But please do not confuse the two.

    If I would be interested, I am sure I could build a better Usenet to
    webinterface then anybody has ever seen.

    So when would you need a webinterface? I would say NEVER. Not EVER. Each
    and every explanation I have heard about using a webinterface was an
    excuse about using an interface and not a reason. Let me sum the most
    importand ones up.

    Remark1) My provider does not have Usenet.
    Solution1) So take some other. Either free or payable. Your choice

    R2) My company blocks Usenet
    S2) Connect to your home PC and use Usenet there

    R3) That is not possible, my company blocks that as well
    S2) Then your company does not want you to use that tool

    R4) But I can not do my jon without it
    S4) That is _their_ problem. If the company does not give you the tools
    to work, they will have some reason. Ask them

    R5) They do not want to listen
    R5) Sod them and do a lousy job. Their problem, not yours

    R6) I want to read Usenet in my own time at work
    S6) There must be a reason your boss does not allow that. Convince him
    of the advantages.

    R7) They do not listen
    S7) They must have a reason. Do it at home.

    R8) I can not go without Usenet for that long
    S8) That is a social problem. Do not solve a social problem with a
    technical solution, like the MAFIAA does.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  5. Re: openSUSE forums

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > You mean we like what Novell CURRENTLY is doing?? The Novell
    > official SUSE support groups are combo web forum/nntp things.


    Yes and it sucks like big teats.

    > Certainly doable.


    Well they can't seem to do it correctly.

    > Shoot I used to run one a long time ago that
    > was a web forum/nntp and maillist thingy.


    becauuse it is technicaly possible does not mean it is a good idea.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  6. Re: openSUSE forums

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Though I'm not a big fan of forums myself, this will be a very nice
    >> resource to have, with all of them in one place. I wish though that
    >> they would use a Usenet<->Web gateway, so that users using the forum
    >> would see Usenet posts too, and posts submitted to the forum would also
    >> be posted on Usenet.

    >
    > Why? Why? Why do you hate me so much? There was one acceptable Usenet
    > interface and Google killed it. I can not even use it to search
    > information on Usenet anymore. http://dejanews.com Sigh.
    > [snip rest]


    Basically, I disagree with everything you said

    I find that forum/Usenet interfaces are useful because the one group
    does not have to miss out on information provided by the other.

    I don't give a rat's ass about the technical and cultural differences
    between forums and Usenet

  7. Re: openSUSE forums

    On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 18:47 +0100, houghi wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    > > You mean we like what Novell CURRENTLY is doing?? The Novell
    > > official SUSE support groups are combo web forum/nntp things.

    >
    > Yes and it sucks like big teats.
    >
    > > Certainly doable.

    >
    > Well they can't seem to do it correctly.
    >
    > > Shoot I used to run one a long time ago that
    > > was a web forum/nntp and maillist thingy.

    >
    > becauuse it is technicaly possible does not mean it is a good idea.


    Biggest problem is that there are no etiquette rules
    for forums... so top posting, no quoting, mis-quoting...
    all the rage with a merged system. Again, you can look
    to Novell's official forums/nntp as an example.

    There's definitely a downside.



  8. Re: openSUSE forums

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Biggest problem is that there are no etiquette rules
    > for forums... so top posting, no quoting, mis-quoting...
    > all the rage with a merged system. Again, you can look
    > to Novell's official forums/nntp as an example.


    That is the reason I am not active there. Once in a wjile I try, but it
    is terrible.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  9. Re: openSUSE forums

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> Though I'm not a big fan of forums myself, this will be a very nice
    >>> resource to have, with all of them in one place. I wish though that
    >>> they would use a Usenet<->Web gateway, so that users using the forum
    >>> would see Usenet posts too, and posts submitted to the forum would also
    >>> be posted on Usenet.

    >>
    >> Why? Why? Why do you hate me so much? There was one acceptable Usenet
    >> interface and Google killed it. I can not even use it to search
    >> information on Usenet anymore. http://dejanews.com Sigh.
    >> [snip rest]

    >
    > Basically, I disagree with everything you said
    >
    > I find that forum/Usenet interfaces are useful because the one group
    > does not have to miss out on information provided by the other.
    >
    > I don't give a rat's ass about the technical and cultural differences
    > between forums and Usenet


    While I hate me too posts, I'm with houghi completely. If people in one
    venue need to see the information in the other then use that venue.
    Forums and usenet are very different. I get a headache from trying to
    read forums so I just don't do it anymore. Bring that mess into usenet
    and you will get either an overwhelming amount of usenet people
    complaining about the great unwashed forum heathen breaking the rules
    and rightfully so or you will see usenet people vanish. usenet has been
    around a lot longer than any forum and the rules have developed and
    evolved for sound practical reasons. Many of the most valuable posters
    are the oldtimers who have been around long enough to learn the usenet
    way and aren't interested in the new forum way.

  10. Re: openSUSE forums

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> http://forums.opensuse.org
    >>
    >> Cewl, although I personaly detest forums, I think it is great to see
    >> them all pulling together.
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > Just saw this.
    >
    > Though I'm not a big fan of forums myself, this will be a very nice
    > resource to have, with all of them in one place. I wish though that
    > they would use a Usenet<->Web gateway, so that users using the forum
    > would see Usenet posts too, and posts submitted to the forum would also
    > be posted on Usenet.
    >
    > In other words, something like this: http://www.unixadmintalk.com
    >
    > Sometimes, users of this style of forum don't even know that some posts
    > are originating from Usenet.
    >
    > But this is probably never going to happen ;P


    Hopefully not!

    A train line will get goods from point A to point B, as will a road, but
    would you drive a truck down a train line just because it could be done?
    Or next thing, we'll have airplanes landing on the interstate highways
    just because the airport isn't convenient enough? They are all
    transportation devices, but should they be combined too? Same deal with
    forums and Usenet.... they just don't belong together!

+ Reply to Thread