program for sharing of torrent - Suse

This is a discussion on program for sharing of torrent - Suse ; I have 11GB and 40.000 1600x1200 images that I want to share with the world. I did not see the option in ktorrent to share a file with the world. What program available for openSUSE would be the best (and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

  1. program for sharing of torrent

    I have 11GB and 40.000 1600x1200 images that I want to share with the
    world. I did not see the option in ktorrent to share a file with the
    world.

    What program available for openSUSE would be the best (and how to go
    about it?)

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  2. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:59:11 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > I have 11GB and 40.000 1600x1200 images that I want to share with the
    > world.

    Talk to the guys at Social Wallpapering?

    http://www.socwall.com

  3. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    marksouth wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:59:11 +0100, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> I have 11GB and 40.000 1600x1200 images that I want to share with the
    >> world.

    > Talk to the guys at Social Wallpapering?
    >
    > http://www.socwall.com

    Thanks for the tip, but I think that mine might not be, uh, legal in
    several ways. First many of them contain female nipples and you know how
    dangerous those are.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  4. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:45:33 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > marksouth wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:59:11 +0100, houghi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 11GB and 40.000 1600x1200 images that I want to share with the
    >>> world.

    >> Talk to the guys at Social Wallpapering?
    >>
    >> http://www.socwall.com

    > Thanks for the tip, but I think that mine might not be, uh, legal in
    > several ways. First many of them contain female nipples and you know how
    > dangerous those are.

    Yeah, they can poke your eye out on a cold day.

    To give a different answer to your question, Azureus seems to contain a
    full set of tools for generating torrents. Be prepared to check that
    your Java install is in good shape, and also to give up an evening to
    reading the documentation.

  5. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    marksouth wrote:
    > To give a different answer to your question, Azureus seems to contain a
    > full set of tools for generating torrents. Be prepared to check that
    > your Java install is in good shape, and also to give up an evening to
    > reading the documentation.

    I have used Azureus in the past and have trown it out, because it sucks
    big time. It hogs memory like nothing else.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  6. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    houghi wrote:
    > I have 11GB and 40.000 1600x1200 images that I want to share with the
    > world. I did not see the option in ktorrent to share a file with the
    > world.
    >
    > What program available for openSUSE would be the best (and how to go
    > about it?)

    You will need a torrent tracker and a program that will create the torrent.

    Now, don't expect an 11GB torrent to be alive for too long, unless you
    expect to seed it from your PC forever :P No one will keep seeding
    11GB. But if you intend to keep seeding forever, you might just as well
    serve the files directly with apache or lighttpd.

    That being said, you might be better off sharing it through a sharing
    network like eDonkey. I can't recommend an eDonkey client because I
    don't use eDonkey at all, but many people are using eMule. You can also
    create a "link" to your 11GB content in the form of "ed2k://blabla" and
    post it somewhere.

    Torrents are really better suited for content you intend to seed
    forever, like a direct HTTP or FTP link.

  7. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > You will need a torrent tracker and a program that will create the torrent.

    And those will be ...

    > Torrents are really better suited for content you intend to seed
    > forever, like a direct HTTP or FTP link.

    I do not intend to do it forever.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  8. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On 2008-03-12, houghi wrote:
    > marksouth wrote:
    >> To give a different answer to your question, Azureus seems to contain a
    >> full set of tools for generating torrents. Be prepared to check that
    >> your Java install is in good shape, and also to give up an evening to
    >> reading the documentation.

    > I have used Azureus in the past and have trown it out, because it sucks
    > big time. It hogs memory like nothing else.
    >
    > houghi

    It does?
    Mine works fine

    I'm running it like twntyfourseven.

    Now I have 5 torrents running and usage of CPU is 2.3 and memory 5.6 %

    I also know how to make them torrents.

    But since you are not interested...

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there" –

  9. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >It does?

    Yes, it does.

    >Mine works fine

    So does mine. It still hogs memory an awful lot.

    >I'm running it like twntyfourseven.

    Same here.

    >Now I have 5 torrents running and usage of CPU is 2.3 and memory 5.6 %

    It all depends on just how many torrents are being shared, and the
    sizes. I'm presently running with 77 torrents[0] and, at the moment, the
    processor usage is fluctuating between 1% and 3.2%. Memory, on the other
    hand, is at a constant 442MiB, 375MiB of which is swapped out.

    [0] Mostly small ones of 350MiB, or smaller, but I do have a few that
    are bigger than 3GiB, like the present openSUSE 11.0 alpha2.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  10. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    Vahis wrote:
    > But since you are not interested...

    Indeed I am not interested. Also I wdoubt it is the only program on
    Linux that is able to do it. If it is hey, pity for the rest of the
    world who will miss out on 40.000 1600x1200 wallpapers.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  11. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >Vahis wrote:
    >> But since you are not interested...

    >Indeed I am not interested. Also I wdoubt it is the only program on
    >Linux that is able to do it.

    It isn't. There's mktorrent, hiding on an openSUSE 10.3 installation DVD
    possibly somewhere close by. There's also createtorrent, which isn't on
    the installation DVDs. Home page is here:

    and the packages I've built are here:

    Then there's btmaketorrent, which is included in the BitTorrent package.

    >If it is hey, pity for the rest of the
    >world who will miss out on 40.000 1600x1200 wallpapers.

    Of course it isn't, there's three listed above just for starters.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  12. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    houghi writes:

    >Vahis wrote:
    >> But since you are not interested...

    >Indeed I am not interested. Also I wdoubt it is the only program on
    >Linux that is able to do it. If it is hey, pity for the rest of the
    >world who will miss out on 40.000 1600x1200 wallpapers.

    The point is that torrent does absolutely nothing if you do not expect
    there to be a whole bunch of people who are willing to make their downloads
    available to the rest of the people. It is a file sharing, not file
    distribution, program.
    And as has been said, almost all torrent clients are also servers and
    seeders. You need to set up the seeder, and then have one torrent running
    as a client, which the seeder can point to for the intial downloads.

    >houghi
    >--
    >You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  13. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    David Bolt wrote:

    > and the packages I've built are here:

    Thanks. Will look at it.
    I am a bit confused. OK, this makes the *.torrent file, but then what?
    Is it sufficient to run KTorrent or do I need yet another program?

    or here:
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...=createtorrent
    If you would have used the build server, you also would have had them
    for factory, Mandriva, RedHat, ... ;-)
    And people would have been able to use them after a search AND be abkle
    to use the i-click install. Seriously, try it out.

    > Then there's btmaketorrent, which is included in the BitTorrent package.

    OK.

    >>If it is hey, pity for the rest of the
    >>world who will miss out on 40.000 1600x1200 wallpapers.

    > Of course it isn't, there's three listed above just for starters.

    Looks like createtorrent is the closest to what I need for a first step.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  14. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On 2008-03-13, houghi wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >>

    >> and the packages I've built are here:

    > Thanks. Will look at it.
    > I am a bit confused. OK, this makes the *.torrent file, but then what?
    > Is it sufficient to run KTorrent or do I need yet another program?

    Once you have the torrent it needs to be uploaded to a tracker server.
    You then need to seed it.

    Try to upload it to
    http://thepiratebay.org/

    Read something like this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

    Vahis
    --
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there" –
    George Harrison

  15. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/407...26.TPB.torrent

    > Read something like this:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

    Did it. It also seemed that KTorrent was able to do it, yet you had to
    go to File, New. I thought that would be for a new download.

    http://tinyurl.com/yrro35 it is. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  16. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:51:03 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > Vahis wrote:
    >>
    >> Once you have the torrent it needs to be uploaded to a tracker server.
    >> You then need to seed it.
    >>
    >> Try to upload it to
    >> http://thepiratebay.org/

    > http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4078226/

    houghi__s_wallpapers.4078226.TPB.torrent

    >> Read something like this:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

    > Did it. It also seemed that KTorrent was able to do it, yet you had to
    > go to File, New. I thought that would be for a new download.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yrro35 it is. :-D
    >
    > houghi

    Good grief man - that all 11 gig in one file! You wouldn't like to break
    it down into slightly more manageable chunks would you(1)? Ktorrent is
    throwing a fit just allocating disk space

    1: and tell us which are the good ones....?

  17. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On 2008-03-13, central77 wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:51:03 +0100, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Once you have the torrent it needs to be uploaded to a tracker server.
    >>> You then need to seed it.
    >>>
    >>> Try to upload it to
    >>> http://thepiratebay.org/

    >> http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4078226/

    > houghi__s_wallpapers.4078226.TPB.torrent
    >>
    >>> Read something like this:
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

    >> Did it. It also seemed that KTorrent was able to do it, yet you had to
    >> go to File, New. I thought that would be for a new download.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/yrro35 it is. :-D
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Good grief man - that all 11 gig in one file! You wouldn't like to break
    > it down into slightly more manageable chunks would you(1)? Ktorrent is
    > throwing a fit just allocating disk space
    >
    > 1: and tell us which are the good ones....?

    I agree with you. That is not a well planned torrent.
    This belongs to "donts"

    I put it running though, to support

    For houghi: Can you see my peer?

    Vahis
    --
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there" –
    George Harrison

  18. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    central77 wrote:
    > Good grief man - that all 11 gig in one file! You wouldn't like to break
    > it down into slightly more manageable chunks would you(1)? Ktorrent is
    > throwing a fit just allocating disk space

    :-D With a bit of luck it burns down winders boxen.

    > 1: and tell us which are the good ones....?

    That is very hard to say, as that is a personal matter.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  19. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:52:58 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > central77 wrote:
    >> Good grief man - that all 11 gig in one file! You wouldn't like to
    >> break it down into slightly more manageable chunks would you(1)?
    >> Ktorrent is throwing a fit just allocating disk space

    > :-D With a bit of luck it burns down winders boxen.
    >
    >> 1: and tell us which are the good ones....?

    > That is very hard to say, as that is a personal matter.
    >
    > houghi

    ah, well, we should have:
    1: a 100 meg file of 'samples', and then
    2: 20 x 500 meg files, each containing a 'selection' of file 'types' so
    that each file caters for a range of, er, 'tastes'

    In all seriousness, why don't you break them down and post, say, 1 gig
    per week for a while?

  20. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    houghi wrote:
    > central77 wrote:
    >> Good grief man - that all 11 gig in one file! You wouldn't like to break
    >> it down into slightly more manageable chunks would you(1)? Ktorrent is
    >> throwing a fit just allocating disk space

    > :-D With a bit of luck it burns down winders boxen.

    Which means less seeders and a dead torrent soon.

    But Windows won't have a problem with this size. I've downloaded far
    bigger things without trouble, so you're out of luck here ;D

    Btw, if the torrent contains all individual pictures instead of a bunch
    of big RAR archives, people can choose which pictures to download
    instead of waiting for the whole thing to download.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast