program for sharing of torrent - Suse

This is a discussion on program for sharing of torrent - Suse ; David Bolt wrote: >>Now something strange is happening. I get the message that there is an >>error and it starts downloading. WTF? > > What did you do? To the torrent? Nothing and neither to the files. Screen was open ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

  1. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>Now something strange is happening. I get the message that there is an
    >>error and it starts downloading. WTF?

    > What did you do?

    To the torrent? Nothing and neither to the files. Screen was open on
    screen1. On screen2, I was working on some scripts. Also surfing, so
    nothing differnt of what I have been doing the last few days since I
    started it.

    >>What is it comparing to,

    > When you created the .torrent file, it create a hash value for each of
    > the separate chunks. Something has happened to some of the chunks so
    > that they no longer match the calculated hashes and KTorrent is
    > re-fetching the "damaged" chunks.

    And that is the weird part. I see nothing that could have happend to
    them.

    >>considering that the origin comes from me.

    > Doesn't matter. Your files no longer match the files in the torrent, so
    > KTorrent is "repairing" them for you.

    And how could that have happend. Weird.

    > Tinkerbell scattered some of her fairy dust on a few of the chunks and
    > they decided to follow her and Peter Pan back to Neverland?

    Mmm. Could be the dust caused by lost packages. Soon they will be
    cleaning the Intertubes again. In some two weeks, I believe.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  2. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    houghi wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >>>Now something strange is happening. I get the message that there is an
    >>>error and it starts downloading. WTF?

    >> What did you do?

    > To the torrent? Nothing and neither to the files. Screen was open on
    > screen1. On screen2, I was working on some scripts. Also surfing, so
    > nothing differnt of what I have been doing the last few days since I
    > started it.

    OK, this is freaking me out. Ik just happend again. The strange thing is
    that I had read-only to the files, so how could they change?

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
    down a gully.

  3. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >houghi wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What did you do?

    >> To the torrent? Nothing and neither to the files. Screen was open on
    >> screen1. On screen2, I was working on some scripts. Also surfing, so
    >> nothing differnt of what I have been doing the last few days since I
    >> started it.

    >OK, this is freaking me out. Ik just happend again. The strange thing is
    >that I had read-only to the files, so how could they change?

    Hmm. First thought is something is altering them. Are the time stamps
    altering? I don't know if KTorrent shows which files are
    complete/incomplete so you could try performing an md5sum on them. I get
    the following:

    93db28685ae4ec3b3e148aa7f99603e7 wallpaper.part01.rar
    b5982f126ba68409c5a200ca4cd80776 wallpaper.part02.rar
    57c076e41d428c1d5482b7135b3e196a wallpaper.part03.rar
    d6234a47e379cd64c5c67ada8f97895f wallpaper.part04.rar
    5d8b0497891b4d035cf9a122ccd57e29 wallpaper.part05.rar
    09b2af1a89c42d04eee90f0748e7e241 wallpaper.part06.rar
    a752284646001609f2e11a41c566a882 wallpaper.part07.rar
    f9e2c458ca111df95999d5f37936f3a9 wallpaper.part08.rar
    6747d2112be02d7c0fee8ade9278a006 wallpaper.part09.rar
    6eb675b1f67292198b7fbf00a52299bb wallpaper.part10.rar
    fbf5cb884261197ee2bcce71f4aebd05 wallpaper.part11.rar

    Might be an idea to copy them elsewhere, retrieve the torrent again,
    open it in KTorrent and point it to the new location for the files, wait
    until it's finished and see if they change again.

    Alternatively, pick another client and see if that makes a difference.
    Aria2 works fine as a console bittorrent client, and you can find that
    on Packmans site. There are others as well scattered around that you
    could try as well.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  4. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>OK, this is freaking me out. Ik just happend again. The strange thing is
    >>that I had read-only to the files, so how could they change?

    > Hmm. First thought is something is altering them. Are the time stamps
    > altering? I don't know if KTorrent shows which files are
    > complete/incomplete so you could try performing an md5sum on them. I get
    > the following:
    >
    > 93db28685ae4ec3b3e148aa7f99603e7 wallpaper.part01.rar
    > b5982f126ba68409c5a200ca4cd80776 wallpaper.part02.rar
    > 57c076e41d428c1d5482b7135b3e196a wallpaper.part03.rar
    > d6234a47e379cd64c5c67ada8f97895f wallpaper.part04.rar
    > 5d8b0497891b4d035cf9a122ccd57e29 wallpaper.part05.rar
    > 09b2af1a89c42d04eee90f0748e7e241 wallpaper.part06.rar
    > a752284646001609f2e11a41c566a882 wallpaper.part07.rar
    > f9e2c458ca111df95999d5f37936f3a9 wallpaper.part08.rar
    > 6747d2112be02d7c0fee8ade9278a006 wallpaper.part09.rar
    > 6eb675b1f67292198b7fbf00a52299bb wallpaper.part10.rar
    > fbf5cb884261197ee2bcce71f4aebd05 wallpaper.part11.rar

    OK. Will do that. Ktorrent is now looking at the chuncks. Luckily there
    is one who si already seeding.

    > Might be an idea to copy them elsewhere, retrieve the torrent again,
    > open it in KTorrent and point it to the new location for the files, wait
    > until it's finished and see if they change again.

    Retrieve them again? I never retrieved them , I MADE them.

    > Alternatively, pick another client and see if that makes a difference.
    > Aria2 works fine as a console bittorrent client, and you can find that
    > on Packmans site. There are others as well scattered around that you
    > could try as well.

    Only if they have the ability to use the current files. I am not going
    to download 10GB of files that I made.

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  5. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On 2008-03-16, houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Did it. It also seemed that KTorrent was able to do it, yet you had to
    >> go to File, New. I thought that would be for a new download.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/yrro35 it is. :-D

    > Now something strange is happening. I get the message that there is an
    > error and it starts downloading. WTF? What is it comparing to,
    > considering that the origin comes from me.
    >
    > I am now at 99.9% complete? Where is the 0.1% gone to (Vahis, did you
    > take it? Give it back. :-)

    I'm running the evil Azureus (Java) and KDE. They are eating not only
    _my_ computer cycles and all the memory, but other people's, too

    You already seem to have got answers to that.
    Your pieces' hashes don't match in your program and it's fetching some
    pieces again that it thinks are wrong.
    No biggie, your bunch of files is huge.

    It'll sort it out, it should that is.
    I don't know about Ktorrent, it's been said not to work too well, but
    that's long ago. I've never used it, always Azureus.

    > How did that happen?

    My bet is lost packages at some point(s).

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"

  6. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    Vahis wrote:
    > You already seem to have got answers to that.
    > Your pieces' hashes don't match in your program and it's fetching some
    > pieces again that it thinks are wrong.
    > No biggie, your bunch of files is huge.

    Yes biggie. Why does it think that? First: I am the originator. If there
    is anything wrong with the files, I would be the one uploading the error
    as well.
    Also you are saying that word "again" as if I already retrieved them. I
    didn't, I send them out.

    > It'll sort it out, it should that is.

    I have seen it happen twice. I have no idea how often it happens when I
    am NOT looking.

    > I don't know about Ktorrent, it's been said not to work too well, but
    > that's long ago. I've never used it, always Azureus.

    It is less of a hog then Azureus and especialy what they have done with
    Azureus in the latests versionsm it is better.

    >> How did that happen?

    > My bet is lost packages at some point(s).

    And where would they be lost? That is what I am woried about. I have the
    10PB (Or GB) on my PC, because I am the originator. Lost packages would
    indicate something going over the network. However the network _should_
    be irrelevant, as the data is and was already on my PC.

    Or the checksums are giving out errors, whcich is a worry, or ... which
    is a worry.

    So I would say it is a huge biggie. An extra disadvantage is that my
    200K upload is halted at those moments. Luckily somebody else already
    had 100%, but it would have been a bitch if this would happen when I
    went on a weekend trip and the thing is at 98%

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  7. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:32:27 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > Vahis wrote:
    >> You already seem to have got answers to that. Your pieces' hashes don't
    >> match in your program and it's fetching some pieces again that it
    >> thinks are wrong. No biggie, your bunch of files is huge.

    > Yes biggie. Why does it think that? First: I am the originator. If there
    > is anything wrong with the files, I would be the one uploading the error
    > as well.
    > Also you are saying that word "again" as if I already retrieved them. I
    > didn't, I send them out.

    Is it possible that you restarted your torrent client as a peer instead
    of as a seeder? That way you may only have been able to see the total
    fraction that was available as a distributed copy.

    Mark
    --
    Apologies to anyone I may have insulted with this post.

  8. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    marksouth wrote:
    > Is it possible that you restarted your torrent client as a peer instead
    > of as a seeder? That way you may only have been able to see the total
    > fraction that was available as a distributed copy.

    No, not at that time (I have restarted it afterwards) I had not touched
    the program and suddenly it started doing this strange behaviour. Even
    then all the things were there AND read only the second time it happend.

    Also there was one seeder at that moment.

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  9. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >For those that still need some manual handling, it is fairly easy to do
    >that in GIMP. I have some 2000 ready to be posted by monday.

    I hate to point this out to you but it's now Wednesday and, so far,
    neither 11.0 Alpha3 nor your images have turned up.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  10. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, houghi wrote:-
    >
    >>For those that still need some manual handling, it is fairly easy to do
    >>that in GIMP. I have some 2000 ready to be posted by monday.

    > I hate to point this out to you but it's now Wednesday and, so far,
    > neither 11.0 Alpha3 nor your images have turned up.

    Then you are looking in the wrong place for the second.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  11. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >> I hate to point this out to you but it's now Wednesday and, so far,
    >> neither 11.0 Alpha3 nor your images have turned up.

    >Then you are looking in the wrong place for the second.

    I was. I looked in wallpapers not wallpaper.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  12. Re: program for sharing of torrent

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:52:43 +0100, houghi
    wrote:

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, houghi wrote:-
    >>
    >>>For those that still need some manual handling, it is fairly easy to do
    >>>that in GIMP. I have some 2000 ready to be posted by monday.

    >> I hate to point this out to you but it's now Wednesday and, so far,
    >> neither 11.0 Alpha3 nor your images have turned up.

    >Then you are looking in the wrong place for the second.
    >
    >houghi

    Jeez, dude. You do not know how to seed a torrent?

    You'd be better off posting them to alt.binaries.pictures.misc

    Or any of many other suitable binary groups.

    Can't do that? Get a "friend" to do it for you. D'OH!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3