Multiscreen, NVidea and 3D - Suse

This is a discussion on Multiscreen, NVidea and 3D - Suse ; My two screens are here and they work perfectly. I seriously still would like more screen surface. :-D Some history: First I had 2 1600x1200 screens. When I logged in, my screens had several programs that started automagicaly and placed ...

  1. Multiscreen, NVidea and 3D

    My two screens are here and they work perfectly. I seriously still would
    like more screen surface. :-D

    Some history:
    First I had 2 1600x1200 screens. When I logged in, my screens had
    several programs that started automagicaly and placed them where I
    wanted them.

    One screen broke, so I reconfigured 1 1600x1200 and then the layouts and
    things did not happen anymore.
    Next I bought a new card, reconfigured that for the one 1600x1200.

    Just now I have connected my 1920x1200 screens. This is where it starts
    to get openSUSE specific.

    I went to init 3 sand started sax2. I was able to select.Cloned
    Multihead, which was the first I treid and that worked. The other option
    was Xinerama multihead and that worked as well.
    The disadvantage is that if I change desktops on one screen, the other
    follows. Not good for what I want to use it for.

    There was no option "Traditional Multihead" so what I did was to run
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/NVidia_DualHead`

    I then get the message "SaX2 cannont offer activation dof the 3D
    subsystem because Xinerama based dual head mode is used. The Xorg
    Xinerama extention fir combining graphics screens doesn't support 3D on
    all heads."

    However I do now have the option "Traditional Multihead" and I can
    configure both screens.

    Another nice thing is that my screenlayout for my two screens is
    suddenly back.

    I have not yet looked what the impact is. I have tried the GLMatrix
    screensaver and that seemed to work.

    glxgears is now 4200 instead of 5500 frames per second.

    houghi
    --
    The blue light suddenly flashed on my horrified face. What a disaster!
    Oh, the humanity! I never thought it would happen to me. How terrifying

  2. Re: Multiscreen, NVidea and 3D

    houghi wrote:
    > My two screens are here and they work perfectly. I seriously still would
    > like more screen surface. :-D
    >
    > Some history:
    > First I had 2 1600x1200 screens. When I logged in, my screens had
    > several programs that started automagicaly and placed them where I
    > wanted them.
    >
    > One screen broke, so I reconfigured 1 1600x1200 and then the layouts and
    > things did not happen anymore.
    > Next I bought a new card, reconfigured that for the one 1600x1200.
    >
    > Just now I have connected my 1920x1200 screens. This is where it starts
    > to get openSUSE specific.

    Nice! Just a random tip, I haven't tried multihead in Linux... but did
    you try the nvidia-settings utility at all? I think it also has a means
    to configure that. Im assuming you have an nvidia card.

    One place I worked, it was kind of a NOC control room. We each had 3 24
    inch 1920x1200 screens, among other things. It was all for show because
    investors were always coming thru and it was supposed to impress them.
    Too bad I tend to do my work on just one display...

  3. Re: Multiscreen, NVidea and 3D

    shimp wrote:
    > Nice! Just a random tip, I haven't tried multihead in Linux... but did
    > you try the nvidia-settings utility at all? I think it also has a means
    > to configure that. Im assuming you have an nvidia card.

    What is the "nvidia-settings utility"? I ran `nvidia-settings`
    as root, but it did not show anything concerning 3d stuff that I know.

    > One place I worked, it was kind of a NOC control room. We each had 3 24
    > inch 1920x1200 screens, among other things. It was all for show because
    > investors were always coming thru and it was supposed to impress them.

    Place I once was had a huge walldisplay. Two stories high. Several
    screens with almost no space between the displays. I am talking a few
    mm. This was also just for visitors to be impressed with the 'Cape
    canaveral' effect of it all.

    They even had peple sitting around it in a half moon formation, looking
    at that huge screen with each of them a few screens of them to do the
    actual work.

    However they put that huge screen to low, so that if you were sitting,
    you could not see the lower meter or so of the screen. Or they build the
    thing to hold the screens in front of them to high.

    > Too bad I tend to do my work on just one display...

    The last few years I have always worked with at least two screens. And I
    do mean work. One often to monitor stuff. Now at my job I am the only
    one who has two PC's as well. One dedicated for a single program,
    although I run other things on it as well and the other to do my more
    regular work.

    Somebody who I know also works with two screens. One for the scanned
    documents, the other to type stuff.

    houghi
    --
    The blue light suddenly flashed on my horrified face. What a disaster!
    Oh, the humanity! I never thought it would happen to me. How terrifying
    it is to see for yourself "*The Blue Screen of Death*".

  4. Re: Multiscreen, NVidea and 3D

    houghi wrote:
    > shimp wrote:
    >> Nice! Just a random tip, I haven't tried multihead in Linux... but did
    >> you try the nvidia-settings utility at all? I think it also has a means
    >> to configure that. Im assuming you have an nvidia card.

    > What is the "nvidia-settings utility"? I ran `nvidia-settings`
    > as root, but it did not show anything concerning 3d stuff that I know.

    You're right. I looked closely and didn't see anything helpful. Unless
    you want to enable twinview.. heheh not very useful for you.

+ Reply to Thread