Suse 10.3 networking & windows - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 10.3 networking & windows - Suse ; Hello All, I'm pretty new to Linux and trying to network a Suse 10.3 and Xp pro I have followed instructions from various sources and both pc's can see each other, the Linux pc can see and use the windows ...

  1. Suse 10.3 networking & windows

    Hello All, I'm pretty new to Linux and trying to network a Suse 10.3 and Xp
    pro I have followed instructions from various sources and both pc's can see
    each other, the Linux pc can see and use the windows shared folder but when
    the windows pc tries to open the shared folder on the Linux pc it asks for a
    password and user, I have tried the Linux user and password but it just
    chucks it out, would be grateful if some kind person could point me in the
    right direction.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tdp..
    Cambridge..

  2. Re: Suse 10.3 networking & windows

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:29:25 +0000, TDP wrote:

    > Hello All, I'm pretty new to Linux and trying to network a Suse 10.3 and
    > Xp pro I have followed instructions from various sources and both pc's
    > can see each other, the Linux pc can see and use the windows shared
    > folder but when the windows pc tries to open the shared folder on the
    > Linux pc it asks for a password and user, I have tried the Linux user
    > and password but it just chucks it out, would be grateful if some kind
    > person could point me in the right direction.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Tdp..
    > Cambridge..

    Assuming you are using samba, you need to create a user / password for
    samba on the linux box - you wont login with a 'regular' user password
    combination: man smbpasswd

  3. Re: Suse 10.3 networking & windows

    On 2008-03-10, TDP wrote:
    > Hello All, I'm pretty new to Linux and trying to network a Suse 10.3 and Xp
    > pro I have followed instructions from various sources and both pc's can see
    > each other, the Linux pc can see and use the windows shared folder but when
    > the windows pc tries to open the shared folder on the Linux pc it asks for a
    > password and user, I have tried the Linux user and password but it just
    > chucks it out, would be grateful if some kind person could point me in the
    > right direction.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Tdp..
    > Cambridge..

    You need to create samba users with passwords. They can be the same as
    the normal users if you like. This is the most simple solution.

    So your windows user needs to have a password to connect to windows and
    in addition to that the user must be a samba user with samba password.

    On Linux box as root:

    smbpasswd -a username
    The password is then asked and after adding it it will still be confirmed.

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

+ Reply to Thread