New video card - Suse

This is a discussion on New video card - Suse ; With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. New video card

    With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
    itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
    for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
    price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")

    However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.

    Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
    new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs to
    have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.

    In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS or a MSI
    GeForce 7600 GT.

    So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    cards a few years ago?)

    Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?

    http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
    http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
    Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  2. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    > has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    > Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    > cards a few years ago?)

    I am using a nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS and it works very well under suse 10.3
    with 2 flat screens running at 1680x1050.

    > Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?

    I had lots of trouble with the ATI drivers (things would not work,
    screen/mouse cursor corrupted, accelerated apps (google earth) would crash
    or not start). I have heard similar comments from other people.
    So. I will not buy ATI again for the forseeable future. My experience has
    been poor.

    At the same time I have not had trouble with other Nvidia cards (in 3
    different machines). The drivers seem more stable.

    I hope it helps.

    -G-

  3. Re: New video card

    -G- wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    >> has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    >> Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    >> cards a few years ago?)

    > I am using a nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS and it works very well under suse 10.3
    > with 2 flat screens running at 1680x1050.

    yeah, trow another choice at me. :-D Do you know if it would be able to
    run 1920x1200 on two screens?
    Also note that that card is twice as expensive as the 7600 (from what I
    have seen)

    > At the same time I have not had trouble with other Nvidia cards (in 3
    > different machines). The drivers seem more stable.

    I have heard a little more positive from nVidia, so I am going with
    that unless somebody can explain otherwise.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  4. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
    > itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
    > for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
    > price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")
    >
    > However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    > would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.

    ATI only delivers only junk as drivers, so stay away (I have an ATI and
    the SVGA driver is faster than ATI's).

    If you're not interested in gaming, a GeForce 6800 will do nice (cheap)
    and can also play older games like Doom 3 100% smooth.

    For a fast 3D card (as required by recent games), a GeForce 8600GT is
    the low-end part of gaming cards. Can play latest games, though a bit slow.

    Next is the GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB, but I don't know about drivers for
    it yet.

    Yet more powerful and more expensive is the GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB.

    Availability of those on AGP is rare though. *And* more expensive than
    the faster performing PCIe. Sometimes the price difference warrants the
    purchase of a PCIe motherboard.

  5. Re: New video card

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Availability of those on AGP is rare though. *And* more expensive than
    > the faster performing PCIe. Sometimes the price difference warrants the
    > purchase of a PCIe motherboard.

    OK, just hopped to the store (nice living next to a hardware store) and
    it is the NX7600GS, When asked what the difference was between the GT
    and the GS, the answer was :It is faster. When asked what that ment, the
    answer was: it is faster.

    Asking for more details (e.g. what is the result on screen) the answer
    was. It goes faster.

    I felt like the gui interviewing Spinal Tap and getting the answer "It
    goes to eleven". Seriously strange.

    OK, the time is 16:40 and I will now start the instalation in the
    following order:
    1) Add NVidea repo to YaST
    2) ook in openSUSE what they have to say extra about installation
    3) Check back here to see if there are any remarks
    4) Shutdown
    5) Remove and install card
    6) Reboot in runlevel 3
    7) Run sax2
    8) Have a drink at hand and `init 5 && exit`
    9) Report back here

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  6. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:

    > With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to
    > kill itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right
    > away go for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice
    > the price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")
    >
    > However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    > would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.
    >
    > Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
    > new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs
    > to have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.
    >
    > In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS¹ or a MSI
    > GeForce 7600 GT.
    >
    > So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what
    > openSUSE has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea
    > where to start. Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the
    > latest for video cards a few years ago?)
    >
    > Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?
    >
    > ¹http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
    > ²http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
    > Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.
    >
    > houghi

    FWIW I happily run my Nvidia TNT2-400 in one machine and an Nvidia
    GT5200 in the other. Nvidia supports "Open Source" as well, even
    though the drivers are closed. So that would be my first choice.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  7. Re: New video card

    > yeah, trow another choice at me. :-D Do you know if it would be able to
    > run 1920x1200 on two screens?

    I *think* you can, but you will need to check with somebody else. At work
    there is one 8800 GTX (not GTS) which runs 1920x1280 x 2, but I do not know
    how much memory it has.

    > Also note that that card is twice as expensive as the 7600 (from what I
    > have seen)

    Oh, well...

    Cheap
    Fast
    Good

    (choose 2)
    ;-)

    -G-

  8. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > OK, the time is 16:40 and I will now start the instalation in the
    > following order:
    > 1) Add NVidea repo to YaST
    > 2) ook in openSUSE what they have to say extra about installation
    > 3) Check back here to see if there are any remarks

    OK here they are:

    If I recall correct:

    If you install the card and the repository download does not work, download
    the driver from the nvidia site and install it by hand. (so I would
    download it first, just in case).

    Make sure you have gcc and the kernel sources installed before installing
    manually.

    The only problem with manual installation is that some updates (kernel, x11)
    you have to recompile the driver (init 3, and run the driver again).
    Leave a copy of the driver in the /root folder.

    Good luck.

    -G-

  9. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > OK, the time is 16:40 and I will now start the instalation in the
    > following order:
    > 1) Add NVidea repo to YaST

    Skipped this

    > 2) ook in openSUSE what they have to say extra about installation

    check and did step one at the same time

    > 3) Check back here to see if there are any remarks

    None at that moment. Perhaps because I had not retrieved any new
    m,essages

    > 4) Shutdown

    check

    > 5) Remove and install card

    check

    > 6) Reboot in runlevel 3

    Gave some errors on my TV card, so I removed that. check

    > 7) Run sax2

    check

    > 8) Have a drink at hand and `init 5 && exit`

    check

    > 9) Report back here

    check. :-D
    Took a while to check out all the GL screensavers I was unable to see
    before. :-D

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  10. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > OK, just hopped to the store (nice living next to a hardware store) and
    > it is the NX7600GS, When asked what the difference was between the GT
    > and the GS, the answer was :It is faster. When asked what that ment, the
    > answer was: it is faster.
    >
    > Asking for more details (e.g. what is the result on screen) the answer
    > was. It goes faster.
    >
    > I felt like the gui interviewing Spinal Tap and getting the answer "It
    > goes to eleven". Seriously strange.

    OK, "it is faster" refers of course to the 3D performance. The
    difference is higher clock (more MHz) wider memory bandwidth (128 vs 256
    bit), differences in RAM (DDR2 vs DDR3) etc.

    Again, those things only matter for 3D. For 2D, any 40$/ Matrox card
    beats all NVidias in driver support

  11. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > Took a while to check out all the GL screensavers I was unable to see
    > before. :-D

    Now it's time for Doom 3 :P You're still a kid, or? ;P

  12. Re: New video card

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Took a while to check out all the GL screensavers I was unable to see
    >> before. :-D

    > Now it's time for Doom 3 :P You're still a kid, or? ;P

    When people ask me, I always tell them I am 13, which makes most of the
    people childmolesters if you hear what they want me to do to myself
    sometimes. :-D

    I do have Quake3Arena here for Linux. Never played it. Doom1 I could
    only play in god mode (I am not cheating I am winning). I am lousy at
    games. Seriously, you do not want to see me play.

    The games I do play are lbreakout (try TimeWaster) and things like that
    if I have time. Not enough of it. :-(

    I do get a 'bit' faster results with glxgears:
    houghi@penne : glxgears
    27908 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5581.438 FPS
    27802 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5560.306 FPS
    27921 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5584.151 FPS

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  13. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> Took a while to check out all the GL screensavers I was unable to see
    >>> before. :-D

    >> Now it's time for Doom 3 :P You're still a kid, or? ;P

    > When people ask me, I always tell them I am 13, which makes most of the
    > people childmolesters if you hear what they want me to do to myself
    > sometimes. :-D
    >
    > I do have Quake3Arena here for Linux. Never played it. Doom1 I could
    > only play in god mode (I am not cheating I am winning).

    I finished Doom 3 in god mode too :P I don't think any reasonable human
    being can finish it in "normal" difficulty without god mode xD I even
    made a video of the ending :P Might be interesting if you never saw how
    Doom 3 actually looks like.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-VLW-CuXiI

  14. Re: New video card

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > I finished Doom 3 in god mode too :P I don't think any reasonable human
    > being can finish it in "normal" difficulty without god mode xD I even
    > made a video of the ending :P Might be interesting if you never saw how
    > Doom 3 actually looks like.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-VLW-CuXiI

    In Quake3, I can't even hit anything in god mode. I see something
    running and that is about it. After being killed 10 times or so and not
    even hit anything once, I deinstalled it again.

    Quake1 was fun, because you still had to find out where things were. Now
    it is just shooting things that moove too fast to hit. I see no fun in
    that. I admire people who can do it, but it is not for me.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  15. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> I finished Doom 3 in god mode too :P I don't think any reasonable human
    >> being can finish it in "normal" difficulty without god mode xD I even
    >> made a video of the ending :P Might be interesting if you never saw how
    >> Doom 3 actually looks like.
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-VLW-CuXiI

    > In Quake3, I can't even hit anything in god mode. I see something
    > running and that is about it. After being killed 10 times or so and not
    > even hit anything once, I deinstalled it again.
    >
    > Quake1 was fun, because you still had to find out where things were. Now
    > it is just shooting things that moove too fast to hit. I see no fun in
    > that. I admire people who can do it, but it is not for me.

    Quake 3 was a multiplayer game. Even with bots in single player, it's
    too fast.

    Actually, it's considered the game with the fastest pace ever in the
    history of games. Unreal Tournament was fast too, but Q3 still faster

  16. Re: New video card

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > The GS is a good cheap choice. It should handle dual 1920x1200 I believe.

    It does.

    > I know I've tested with dual analog montors both at that resolution and it
    > worked... just had to watch the dot clocks.

    The what now?

    > openSUSE of course using the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

    Obviously. And installing those is clicking on
    http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp or
    http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia-legacy.ymp

    > Hmmm... again, my tests were certainly with an AGP card back when I
    > did them. I'm hoping that anything AGP that's still available can
    > do what you want. The problem is availability.

    It can. Availablity was indeed an issue in that there are not many AGP
    cards available compared to PCIe and others. I should be able to go for
    at least another two years with the motherpord and processor I have, so
    no problems there.

    >> Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?

    > Very few AGP cards will do the dual 1920x1200... the Nvidia may
    > be the only one. But not all Nvidia cards are the same. On the low
    > end I believe I did do a test of dual 1920x1200 using a 6600GT.
    > You'd think that a 7600GT (or hopefully the cheaper, slower 7600GS)
    > would work.

    Luckily it does. Even though I already bought it (I am inpatient) thanks
    for the feedback.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  17. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
    > itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
    > for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
    > price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")
    >
    > However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    > would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.
    >
    > Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
    > new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs to
    > have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.
    >
    > In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS or a MSI
    > GeForce 7600 GT.

    The GS is a good cheap choice. It should handle dual 1920x1200 I believe.
    I know I've tested with dual analog montors both at that resolution and it
    worked... just had to watch the dot clocks. openSUSE of course using
    the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

    > So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    > has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    > Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    > cards a few years ago?)

    Hmmm... again, my tests were certainly with an AGP card back when I
    did them. I'm hoping that anything AGP that's still available can
    do what you want. The problem is availability.

    > Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?

    Very few AGP cards will do the dual 1920x1200... the Nvidia may
    be the only one. But not all Nvidia cards are the same. On the low
    end I believe I did do a test of dual 1920x1200 using a 6600GT.
    You'd think that a 7600GT (or hopefully the cheaper, slower 7600GS)
    would work.

    > http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
    > http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
    > Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.
    >
    > houghi

  18. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> The GS is a good cheap choice. It should handle dual 1920x1200 I believe.

    > It does.
    >
    >> I know I've tested with dual analog montors both at that resolution and it
    >> worked... just had to watch the dot clocks.

    > The what now?

    When doing dual analog displays there is a maximum limit to the clock
    values that can be used sum'd across the display ramdac wise.

    I know a lot of people believe that it can't be done, but I have
    done it and posted my config to nvnews.net's linux forums in
    the past.

    >> openSUSE of course using the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

    > Obviously. And installing those is clicking on
    > http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp or
    > http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia-legacy.ymp

    Need to be a bit careful, the latest and greatest Nvidia
    drivers are VERY buggy. I'd recommend nothing higher
    than 100.14.19 at the moment.

  19. Re: New video card

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:22:23 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
    > itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
    > for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
    > price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")
    >
    > However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    > would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.
    >
    > Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
    > new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs to
    > have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.
    >
    > In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS¹ or a MSI
    > GeForce 7600 GT.
    >
    > So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    > has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    > Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    > cards a few years ago?)
    >
    > Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?
    >
    > ¹http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
    > ²http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
    > Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.
    >
    > houghi

    I run a 4 year-old Nvidia 5900 (ye olde AGP slot) on opensuse 10.3, in full-blooming 3d, meditate to all the
    goofy 3-d screeensavers while I'm on the phone and it runs happy as a clam. You would never know the
    entire system was almost 5 years old. Just FYI that something so old still kicks it old school--and never
    feels old or slow.

    But I wonder if you need a PCI-E unit to run dual monitors at that rez--I don't know.
    That of course means new mobo, ram and video card.

    Anyway, it's worth mentioning that every time there is a kernel update now, the corresponding Nvidia
    drivers automatically get loaded as well--anyone noticing this? Sweet--no more dropping back to the older
    kernel in command-line and fighting for your windows back these days. More automagic every day...

    I prefer Pine Tech's branding (aka XFX) because their tech guys are consistent, clear & helpful, plus fast
    with problems. I own a few XFX mobos and cards. Others like the eVGA branding.

    But you need to go here:
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
    tell them what you want to do and ask how they'd do it.

  20. Re: New video card

    Chris Cox wrote:
    >>> I know I've tested with dual analog montors both at that resolution and it
    >>> worked... just had to watch the dot clocks.

    >> The what now?

    > When doing dual analog displays there is a maximum limit to the clock
    > values that can be used sum'd across the display ramdac wise.

    So I need to watch the dot clocks on the ramdac for used sum'd.
    Perfectly clear.

    >> Obviously. And installing those is clicking on
    >> http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp or
    >> http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia-legacy.ymp

    > Need to be a bit careful, the latest and greatest Nvidia
    > drivers are VERY buggy. I'd recommend nothing higher
    > than 100.14.19 at the moment.

    So how can I see what I have installed on saturday?

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast