New video card - Suse

This is a discussion on New video card - Suse ; Pete Puma wrote: > Anyway, it's worth mentioning that every time there is a kernel update > now, the corresponding Nvidia drivers automatically get loaded as > well--anyone noticing this? Sweet--no more dropping back to the older > kernel in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: New video card

    Pete Puma wrote:

    > Anyway, it's worth mentioning that every time there is a kernel update
    > now, the corresponding Nvidia drivers automatically get loaded as
    > well--anyone noticing this? Sweet--no more dropping back to the older
    > kernel in command-line and fighting for your windows back these days.
    > More automagic every day...

    Yes. It is also mentioned on the webpage. Yet it is still to be carefull
    to see wether this works or not and be aware on how to do a fallback.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  2. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > So how can I see what I have installed on saturday?

    rpm -qi x11-video-nvidiaG01
    or
    rpm -qa|grep nvidia

  3. Re: New video card

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Need to be a bit careful, the latest and greatest Nvidia
    > drivers are VERY buggy. I'd recommend nothing higher
    > than 100.14.19 at the moment.

    houghi@penne : rpm -qa|grep nvidia
    x11-video-nvidiaG01-169.12-0.1
    nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-169.12_2.6.22.17_0.1-0.1

    and I have no problems. I ahve heard from others as well that they were
    having problems.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  4. Re: New video card

    Gary Gapinski wrote:
    >> So how can I see what I have installed on saturday?

    > rpm -qi x11-video-nvidiaG01
    > or
    > rpm -qa|grep nvidia

    DUH! (To myself)

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  5. Re: New video card

    houghi wrote:
    > With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
    > itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
    > for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
    > price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")
    >
    > However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    > would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.
    >
    > Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
    > new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs to
    > have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.
    >
    > In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS¹ or a MSI
    > GeForce 7600 GT.
    >
    > So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    > has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    > Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    > cards a few years ago?)
    >
    > Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?
    >
    > ¹http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
    > ²http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
    > Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.
    >
    > houghi

    I just bought an MSI Retail Box MSI nVidia Geforce 8400 GS 256MB DDR
    PCI Express x16. It works quite well with OpenSuse and new Nvidia setup
    on the home page. Does 3D and everything and it's not in the OpenSuse
    list nor in my PCChips motherboard listing.
    It was just $43.99. It's also a DirectX 10.0 Vista capable. Add it to
    the list if you like.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  6. Re: New video card

    Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
    >> itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
    >> for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
    >> price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")
    >>
    >> However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
    >> would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.
    >>
    >> Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
    >> new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs to
    >> have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.
    >>
    >> In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS¹ or a MSI
    >> GeForce 7600 GT.
    >>
    >> So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
    >> has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
    >> Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
    >> cards a few years ago?)
    >>
    >> Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?
    >>
    >> ¹http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
    >> ²http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
    >> Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I just bought an MSI Retail Box MSI nVidia Geforce 8400 GS 256MB DDR
    > PCI Express x16. It works quite well with OpenSuse and new Nvidia setup
    > on the home page. Does 3D and everything and it's not in the OpenSuse
    > list nor in my PCChips motherboard listing.
    > It was just $43.99. It's also a DirectX 10.0 Vista capable. Add it to
    > the list if you like.

    Here is more specs on that card:
    Manufacturer: Msi
    Part Number: NX8400GS-TD256EH
    Condition: New
    Packaging: Retail
    3B Tech Warranty: DOA 7 days
    Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

    NVIDIA CineFX 5.0 Shading Architecture
    • Microsoft Vista Features
    • Vertex shaders
    - Support for Microsoft DirectX 10.0 Vertex Shader 4.0
    - Encompass' Transform and Lighting
    - Displacement mapping
    - Geometry instancing
    • Pixel shades
    - Support for DirectX 10.0 Pixel Shader 4.0
    - Support for full pixel branching
    - Support for Multiple Render Targets (MRTs)
    - Infinite-length pixel programs
    • Next-generation texture engine
    • Full 128-bit studio-quality floating point precision through the
    entire rendering pipeline,with native hardware support for 32 bpp,64
    bpp,and 128 bpp rendering modes.

    64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending
    • Full floating point is supported throughout entire pipeline
    • Floating point filtering improves the quality of images in motion
    • Floating point texturing drivers new levels of clarity and image detail
    • Floating point frame buffer blending gives detail to special effects
    like motion blur and explosions

    NVIDIA Intellisample 4.0 Technology
    • Advanced 16X anisotropic filtering (up to 128 taps)
    • Rotated-grid antialiasing for removing jagged edges for incredible
    edge quality
    • Support for advanced lossless compression algorithms for color,
    texture,and z-data at higher resolutions and frame retes
    • Fast z-clear
    • Support for normal map compression
    • New transparent supersampling and transparent multisampling
    antialiasing modes.

    NVIDIA PureVideo Technology
    • Patented hardware and software technology allows two GPUs to run
    in parallel to scale performance
    • Three dedicated video engines
    • MPEG-2 HD and WMV HD video playback up to 1920 X1080p resolution
    • H 264 hardware decode acceleration
    • Decryption supported for all standard HD Video formats-AES-128 CTR
    mode,AES-128 CBC mode,and AES-128 ECB mode.
    • Industry's most advanced video algorithms
    • Overlay color temperature correction
    • Microsoft Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) support for multiple video
    windows with full video quality and features in each window
    • Integrated HDTV output.

    VCN-MSI-8400GS-256Epad$43.99pad

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8