openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02 - Suse

This is a discussion on openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02 - Suse ; Has anyone had any problems with KDE 4.02 running on openSuse 10.3. My current is an HP nc6400 with an Intel x1300 video. I have been running SuSe/OpenSuse for several years, when I did the orginal update to KDE 4, ...

  1. openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Has anyone had any problems with KDE 4.02 running on openSuse 10.3.

    My current is an HP nc6400 with an Intel x1300 video. I have been
    running SuSe/OpenSuse for several years, when I did the orginal update
    to KDE 4, it just plain and simply hung up my system in a bad way.

    I would like to go back to openSuse 10.3, with the latest KDE 4.0.2.
    Does anyone thinks there will be any problems.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Who Cares wrote:

    > Has anyone had any problems with KDE 4.02 running on openSuse 10.3.
    >
    > My current is an HP nc6400 with an Intel x1300 video. I have been
    > running SuSe/OpenSuse for several years, when I did the orginal update
    > to KDE 4, it just plain and simply hung up my system in a bad way.
    >
    > I would like to go back to openSuse 10.3, with the latest KDE 4.0.2.
    > Does anyone thinks there will be any problems.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    After trying KDE4 for a while I decided to wait until 4.1 is out before
    trying again. Too much is not working properly to use this in a production
    environment, at least in my opinion. Nice eye candy, but I need for
    everything to just work... Go back to 3.5.9 and wait until 4.1 is
    released.

    Again, this is just my opinion. Others may have a completely different
    opinion.

    Just my 2¢ worth.

  3. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Who Cares wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone had any problems with KDE 4.02 running on openSuse 10.3.
    >>
    >> My current is an HP nc6400 with an Intel x1300 video. I have been
    >> running SuSe/OpenSuse for several years, when I did the orginal update
    >> to KDE 4, it just plain and simply hung up my system in a bad way.
    >>
    >> I would like to go back to openSuse 10.3, with the latest KDE 4.0.2.
    >> Does anyone thinks there will be any problems.

    I installed both 3 and 4, but I use 2 users for each version to keep
    configuration files separated. KDE3 is production, KDE4 for play.

    >> Thanks in advance.

    > After trying KDE4 for a while I decided to wait until 4.1 is out before
    > trying again. Too much is not working properly to use this in a
    > production
    > environment, at least in my opinion.

    It is the opinion of KDE4 developers too.
    They appreciate anyone willing to help debugging, but they don't recommend
    using it in production before 4.1.

    Internet part works fine in 4.02.

    > Nice eye candy, but I need for
    > everything to just work... Go back to 3.5.9 and wait until 4.1 is
    > released.
    >
    > Again, this is just my opinion. Others may have a completely different
    > opinion.
    >
    > Just my 2¢ worth.

    Yet, another 2¢.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  4. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > It is the opinion of KDE4 developers too.
    > They appreciate anyone willing to help debugging, but they don't recommend
    > using it in production before 4.1.
    >
    > Internet part works fine in 4.02.

    And why shouldn't it? A working Internet has nothing to do with how
    something is shown on your screen.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  5. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > I installed both 3 and 4, but I use 2 users for each version to keep
    > configuration files separated. KDE3 is production, KDE4 for play.

    Why do you need two users to keep the KDE-settings separated? If you did not
    change any system-variables, KDE4(-apps) uses .kde4 and KDE3-apps, even if
    started within KDE4, use their old .kde. So except for the kde4 games that
    came with 10.3 the KDE-settings are kept separately anyway.

    Sven

  6. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Sven Burmeister wrote:
    > Why do you need two users to keep the KDE-settings separated? If you did not
    > change any system-variables, KDE4(-apps) uses .kde4 and KDE3-apps, even if
    > started within KDE4, use their old .kde. So except for the kde4 games that
    > came with 10.3 the KDE-settings are kept separately anyway.

    I would asume so he can easily run KDE 3 as well, without any trouble.
    Not sure how to do it with KDE3 and KDE4, but what I do if I want a
    second GUI is the following in a terminal: `startx kde -- :1`. wmlist
    will show you what you have on your system:
    houghi@penne : wmlist
    kde gnome windowmaker fvwm2 icewm twm

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  7. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    houghi wrote:

    > Sven Burmeister wrote:
    >> Why do you need two users to keep the KDE-settings separated? If you did
    >> not change any system-variables, KDE4(-apps) uses .kde4 and KDE3-apps,
    >> even if started within KDE4, use their old .kde. So except for the kde4
    >> games that came with 10.3 the KDE-settings are kept separately anyway.

    That is advice picked up from:
    http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/KDE4
    section "Safety Advice :-)"
    Just to keep stuff clean.

    > I would asume so he can easily run KDE 3 as well, without any trouble.

    That is second. I have almost no personal settings in KDE4 10.3.
    I did made them, but after few updates to see any changes in KDE4 it was
    necessary to delete ~.kde4 directory and let KDE4 create new one. This
    seems not to be necessary on last 2 updates.

    This makes keeping personalized settings tedious. For now there is only few
    of them created playing around to see what KDE4 can do.

    > Not sure how to do it with KDE3 and KDE4, but what I do if I want a
    > second GUI is the following in a terminal: `startx kde -- :1`. wmlist
    > will show you what you have on your system:
    > houghi@penne : wmlist
    > kde gnome windowmaker fvwm2 icewm twm
    >
    > houghi

    From KDE3
    Main Menu > Switch User > Start New Session
    this gives new login screen.

    Right now, I have no big incentive, nor time, to play a lot with 10.3
    version of KDE4, as everything looks good in Factory update from Alpha2
    iso, besides Konsole that crashes (who said that I depend on console
    program :-) )

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  8. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > From KDE3
    > Main Menu > Switch User > Start New Session
    > this gives new login screen.

    As I do not have KDE running, would you be able to start GNOME or
    Windowmaker from there as well, or is it purely KDE with a new user?

    > Right now, I have no big incentive, nor time, to play a lot with 10.3
    > version of KDE4, as everything looks good in Factory update from Alpha2
    > iso, besides Konsole that crashes (who said that I depend on console
    > program :-) )

    Hehe. I think KDE4 does look nicer then KDE3, but as I am not a KDE user
    (did I already mention that?) I have no idea what most is for. e.g. that
    thing in the right upper corner. What is the use of that?
    But Alpha runs nicely on my portable.

    I will also tke a look at Copiz, which will want me to run GNOME or KDE
    I asume.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  9. Re: openSUSE 10.3/kde 4.02

    houghi wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >> From KDE3
    >> Main Menu > Switch User > Start New Session
    >> this gives new login screen.

    > As I do not have KDE running, would you be able to start GNOME or
    > Windowmaker from there as well, or is it purely KDE with a new user?

    It gives you KDE login (kdm) so you can choose from installed desktops which
    to run.

    >> Right now, I have no big incentive, nor time, to play a lot with 10.3
    >> version of KDE4, as everything looks good in Factory update from Alpha2
    >> iso, besides Konsole that crashes (who said that I depend on console
    >> program :-) )

    > Hehe. I think KDE4 does look nicer then KDE3, but as I am not a KDE user
    > (did I already mention that?) I have no idea what most is for. e.g. that
    > thing in the right upper corner. What is the use of that?

    Me think ...... I'm giving up :-)
    Whatever it is, I'm sure people will find the usage. Right now it seems to
    be more some kind of demo what KDE4 is capable of than something useful.

    > But Alpha runs nicely on my portable.
    >
    > I will also take a look at Compiz, which will want me to run GNOME or KDE
    > I asume.

    So far I know.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  10. Re: openSuse 10.3/kde 4.02

    Who Cares wrote:
    > Has anyone had any problems with KDE 4.02 running on openSuse 10.3.
    >
    > My current is an HP nc6400 with an Intel x1300 video. I have been
    > running SuSe/OpenSuse for several years, when I did the orginal update
    > to KDE 4, it just plain and simply hung up my system in a bad way.
    >
    > I would like to go back to openSuse 10.3, with the latest KDE 4.0.2.
    > Does anyone thinks there will be any problems.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    KDE 4 is still in beta. Opensuse 10.3 uses some stable elements. Take
    your chances.

+ Reply to Thread