xtables and iptables - Suse

This is a discussion on xtables and iptables - Suse ; Hi all, Could anyone help me with the xtables and iptables packages? Quite simply, if I have xtables installed do I need to have iptables installed as well (or vice versa)? Looking at http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kerne...91/456085.html it seems that it's either one ...

  1. xtables and iptables

    Hi all,

    Could anyone help me with the xtables and iptables packages?

    Quite simply, if I have xtables installed do I need to have iptables
    installed as well (or vice versa)?

    Looking at
    http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kerne...91/456085.html
    it seems that it's either one or the other.

    If anyone could offer some advice it'd be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    --
    Rob
    http://www.uicstock.org.uk/

  2. Re: xtables and iptables

    The Doctor wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Could anyone help me with the xtables and iptables packages?
    >
    > Quite simply, if I have xtables installed do I need to have iptables
    > installed as well (or vice versa)?
    >
    > Looking at
    > http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kerne...91/456085.html
    > it seems that it's either one or the other.
    >
    > If anyone could offer some advice it'd be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    As this package IS iptables, yes it would be one OR the other. This is just
    a newer development version of iptables that the developer releases. Most
    of the files are the same between the packages.

    At least this 'seems' to be the case.

    Try using Yast (or RPM command or whatever method)to install xtables and see
    if you get a warning about conflicts. My guess is you will.

  3. Re: xtables and iptables

    Hi Michael,

    > As this package IS iptables, yes it would be one OR the other. This is
    > just a newer development version of iptables that the developer
    > releases. Most of the files are the same between the packages.
    >
    > At least this 'seems' to be the case.
    >
    > Try using Yast (or RPM command or whatever method)to install xtables and
    > see if you get a warning about conflicts. My guess is you will.

    Thanks for this. In the past I have attempted to install both packages
    and had errors and now I know why.

    I will now decide which one to use :-)
    --
    Rob