Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner - Suse

This is a discussion on Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner - Suse ; Hello I've just recently installed openSuse 10.2. Most of my experience is with Slackware. I am no Linux guru but I'm not a first time user. My scanner is detected in YaST, but needs to be configured. Configuration I think ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner

  1. Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner


    Hello

    I've just recently installed openSuse 10.2. Most of my experience is
    with Slackware. I am no Linux guru but I'm not a first time user.

    My scanner is detected in YaST, but needs to be configured.
    Configuration I think required the Epkowa version of IScan.

    In order to get my Epson 3170 scanner working, I have installed the
    Epkowa iscan-2.10.0-1.c2.i386.rpm downloaded from here...
    http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL2.do

    I went back into YaST and tried to configure the scanner, and now I get
    a second listing under the 3170 scanner, "epkowa No scanner recognized
    by this driver".

    Running the Iscan application as user or root gives a "cannot send
    command to scanner. Check the scanner's status" error.

    One note: during the openSuse first boot after install, a small window
    popped up and asked whether to treat the usb scanner as a block device.
    This was before I had even gone into YaST to detect and configure the
    scanner. I clicked no, then ok, on the block device question.

    This and DVD playback are the the only things I don't have working yet.

    Help on this matter appreciated
    Eddie






  2. Re: Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner

    E wrote:

    >
    > Hello
    >
    > I've just recently installed openSuse 10.2. Most of my experience is
    > with Slackware. I am no Linux guru but I'm not a first time user.
    >
    > My scanner is detected in YaST, but needs to be configured.
    > Configuration I think required the Epkowa version of IScan.
    >
    > In order to get my Epson 3170 scanner working, I have installed the
    > Epkowa iscan-2.10.0-1.c2.i386.rpm downloaded from here...
    > http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL2.do


    I use SUSE 10.3 (also worked on 10.2) and I am testing 11.0 alpha2.
    >

    I have an epson (MFP) scanner that is supported by ISCAN free in sane but I
    don't use it. I use ISCAN from the epkowa from the install DVD. I have to
    change three files to get it to work on version
    1. make sure sane is installed.
    2 run sane-find-scanner it should find the scanner and give use the vendor
    id 0x04b8(for Epson) and 0x0813 (product ID for cx6600).
    3. modify the following files:
    /etc/sane.d/epson.conf (add usb statement usb 0x04b8 0x0813) the comments
    explain this.
    /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf (same as above)
    /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.conf make sure epkowa has been added at the end of
    the file. In my case I just have to uncomment it.

    I then go to console and type Iscan and the GUI starts. if the scanner is on
    it should work.
    >
    > Help on this matter appreciated
    > Eddie


    --
    Russ
    Linux register user 441463

  3. Re: Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner

    E wrote:

    > I've just recently installed openSuse 10.2. Most of my experience is
    > with Slackware. I am no Linux guru but I'm not a first time user
    >
    > My scanner is detected in YaST, but needs to be configured.
    > Configuration I think required the Epkowa version of IScan.


    why, in openSUSE 10.3 should it work with the driver of epkowa.
    try to update sane-backends to at least version 1.0.19

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...128.1.i586.rpm
    http://software.opensuse.org/search


    > This and DVD playback are the the only things I don't have working yet.


    at url "http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/10.2"
    in yast - software - softwaresource.
    then install libdvdcss / libdvdnav / libdvdread

    or look here
    http://opensuse-community.org/Restri...d_DVD_Playback
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 10.3

  4. Re: Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner

    EOS wrote:

    > E wrote:
    >
    >> I've just recently installed openSuse 10.2. Most of my experience is
    >> with Slackware. I am no Linux guru but I'm not a first time user
    >>
    >> My scanner is detected in YaST, but needs to be configured.
    >> Configuration I think required the Epkowa version of IScan.

    >
    > why, in openSUSE 10.3 should it work with the driver of epkowa.
    > try to update sane-backends to at least version 1.0.19
    >
    >

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...128.1.i586.rpm
    > http://software.opensuse.org/search
    >
    >
    >> This and DVD playback are the the only things I don't have working yet.

    >
    > at url "http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/10.2"
    > in yast - software - softwaresource.
    > then install libdvdcss / libdvdnav / libdvdread
    >
    > or look here
    >

    http://opensuse-community.org/Restri...d_DVD_Playback
    Not sure but if your using the sane backends you need to
    use the Iscan free version provided from repository. I
    used the 10.3 respository. It loaded version 2.8.0.1-27 i586.
    You also need to install the following two rpms if you select
    the epkowa version
    iscan-firmware
    iscan-propreitary-drivers.

    I know when i started on SUSE 9.0 I was never able to get the
    version from Epsons website working. After I made changes I
    mentioned the Epkowa version, xsane and Kooka all worked
    .. cannot tell you much more but it works on my scanner.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  5. Re: Epkowa no scanner recognized by this driver - Epson 3170 scanner

    russbucket wrote:

    >

    http://opensuse-community.org/Restri...d_DVD_Playback
    > Not sure but if your using the sane backends you need to
    > use the Iscan free version provided from repository. I
    > used the 10.3 respository. It loaded version 2.8.0.1-27 i586.
    > You also need to install the following two rpms if you select
    > the epkowa version
    > iscan-firmware
    > iscan-propreitary-drivers.
    >
    > I know when i started on SUSE 9.0 I was never able to get the
    > version from Epsons website working. After I made changes I
    > mentioned the Epkowa version, xsane and Kooka all worked
    > . cannot tell you much more but it works on my scanner.


    hum, it's possible
    i see it like that.
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...t-scanner2.png
    yast install then iscan auto for you?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 10.3

  6. Re: Scanner problem solved - thanks :)

    EOS wrote:
    > russbucket wrote:
    >
    > http://opensuse-community.org/Restri...d_DVD_Playback
    >> Not sure but if your using the sane backends you need to
    >> use the Iscan free version provided from repository. I
    >> used the 10.3 respository. It loaded version 2.8.0.1-27 i586.
    >> You also need to install the following two rpms if you select
    >> the epkowa version
    >> iscan-firmware
    >> iscan-propreitary-drivers.
    >>
    >> I know when i started on SUSE 9.0 I was never able to get the
    >> version from Epsons website working. After I made changes I
    >> mentioned the Epkowa version, xsane and Kooka all worked
    >> . cannot tell you much more but it works on my scanner.

    >
    > hum, it's possible
    > i see it like that.
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...t-scanner2.png
    > yast install then iscan auto for you?


    Your yast-scanner2.png showed half of the problem. Those rpms don't seem
    to be included on my openSuse 10.2 CDs. I didn't install the exact
    versions as shown in YaST in your linked image. I was afraid they might
    not work with 10.2. I Googled and found a list for 10.2 here...
    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/11901

    Then downloaded the listed files from here... http://rpm.pbone.net

    I also googled the web for solutions and found russbucket's reply to my
    original message on http://linux.derkeiler.com . I am posting and
    reading this group though my ISP's usenet server and the reply is not on
    it...
    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroup.../msg00138.html

    This was the other half of the problem. Configuration files in
    /etc/sane.d needed to be edited. I tried editing the config files before
    downloading the proper proprietary parts but it still did not work. The
    proprietary parts did not work either until editing the config files.

    I haven't even tried to play one DVD yet since installing openSuse 10.2.
    But I assume it would not work out of the box, anyway that will be next.

    Thanks very much Russ and EOS
    Eddie








  7. Re: Scanner problem solved - thanks :)

    E wrote:

    > Your yast-scanner2.png showed half of the problem. Those rpms don't seem
    > to be included on my openSuse 10.2 CDs.


    Should have mentioned, because this is openSuse and not retail
    commercial Suse I suppose.

    Eddie

+ Reply to Thread