Re: Any way/tool for mirroring a PHP server/db? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Any way/tool for mirroring a PHP server/db? - Suse ; On 4 Mar, 16:42, Hatto von Aquitanien wrote: > There is a server which I would like to have backed up, but I really don't > even know where to start. I don't have much info about how the server ...

  1. Re: Any way/tool for mirroring a PHP server/db?

    On 4 Mar, 16:42, Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:
    > There is a server which I would like to have backed up, but I really don't
    > even know where to start. I don't have much info about how the server is
    > implemented, so I don't even know what part of it constitutes persistent
    > data, and what constitutes dynamic content.
    >
    > This is the site:http://www.politicalfriendster.com/m...tAdditions.php
    >
    > I tried the brute force wget approach just to see what would happen. That
    > got insane in a hurry. In the past I've attempted to contact the
    > maintainer of the site, but never received a reply. Even if I did receive
    > a reply, I would not know what I would request access to in order to back
    > up the server.
    >
    > Are there any tools that would help me get snapshots of the server? I
    > suspect the answer is that I need to contact the maintainer and have him
    > send me a locally generated dump of a database. Nonetheless, there is
    > always a chance some less invasive approach is available. Are there any
    > tools available with the SuSE distribution which would facilitate this?
    >
    > --http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ek5w_wtc7-the-smoking-gun-of-911-u...http://911research.wtc7.nethttp://vehme.blogspot.com
    > Virtus Tutissima Cassis

    You say 'backup' but that implies you want to snag the source code
    from the server and its data rather than the web pages - if the site
    allowed you to do that it wouldn't be secure.

    If the data is available to you via a web page, then (leaving aside
    for know the fact that you may be stealing copyright material) there's
    no technical reasons to prevent you from downloading the page, storing
    it, parsing it and repackaging the data - but you need to write your
    own code for that.

    C.

  2. Re: Any way/tool for mirroring a PHP server/db?

    C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/) wrote:
    > If the data is available to you via a web page, then (leaving aside
    > for know the fact that you may be stealing copyright material) there's
    > no technical reasons to prevent you from downloading the page, storing
    > it, parsing it and repackaging the data - but you need to write your
    > own code for that.

    That depends a LOT on how much time you spend on reading the wget
    manpage. :-D

    I know that instead of getting all of the website, it is better to
    download only those parts that you find interesting.
    I would say that it is almost impossible with such a site that so
    heavily depends on a database.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

+ Reply to Thread