VMWare vs Xen - Suse

This is a discussion on VMWare vs Xen - Suse ; Hi After having to perform a fresh install to get to 10.3 I now need to re-install a couple of guest OS's. In the past I've been happy with VMWare for this. However, what are people using these days. Is ...

  1. VMWare vs Xen

    Hi

    After having to perform a fresh install to get to 10.3 I now need to
    re-install a couple of guest OS's. In the past I've been happy with
    VMWare for this. However, what are people using these days. Is Xen
    workable these days or should I stick with VMWare?

    Regards

  2. Re: VMWare vs Xen

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 22:54:56 -0800 (PST), Roger
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >After having to perform a fresh install to get to 10.3 I now need to
    >re-install a couple of guest OS's. In the past I've been happy with
    >VMWare for this. However, what are people using these days. Is Xen
    >workable these days or should I stick with VMWare?

    I'm using virtualbox, and I'm quite satifiied with it.

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  3. Re: VMWare vs Xen

    Roger wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > After having to perform a fresh install to get to 10.3 I now need to
    > re-install a couple of guest OS's. In the past I've been happy with
    > VMWare for this. However, what are people using these days. Is Xen
    > workable these days or should I stick with VMWare?
    >
    > Regards

    If you've bought and paid for VMware you may as well keep using it

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  4. Re: VMWare vs Xen

    sebas22 wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 22:54:56 -0800 (PST), Roger
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>After having to perform a fresh install to get to 10.3 I now need to
    >>re-install a couple of guest OS's. In the past I've been happy with
    >>VMWare for this. However, what are people using these days. Is Xen
    >>workable these days or should I stick with VMWare?

    > I'm using virtualbox, and I'm quite satifiied with it.

    I'll second that. I ran with VMware for a long time and I find that
    VirtualBox does a bit better job balancing system resources between the
    host and guest (i.e., the host OS seems more responsive when the guest is
    running).

    kev.

  5. Re: VMWare vs Xen

    Roger wrote:

    > After having to perform a fresh install to get to 10.3 I now need to
    > re-install a couple of guest OS's. In the past I've been happy with
    > VMWare for this. However, what are people using these days. Is Xen
    > workable these days or should I stick with VMWare?

    Provided your hardware supports it I would suggest Xen. I'm quite happy
    with it on one system but was unsuccessful in running Dom0 on others
    [1]. Despite that the working system performs just fine, and the
    possibility to migrate running virtual machines seamlessly to another
    host is quite tempting if one needs to provide services with high
    availability.

    [1] NIC not working etc. AFAIK the Xen capable kernels also do not
    support ACPI. So it won't be a good choice for a notebook (where it
    might be unlikely anyway that the CPU supports virtualization) or on
    other systems where ACPI-functions are essential.

    GŁnther

  6. Re: VMWare vs Xen

    sebas22 wrote:

    > I'm using virtualbox, and I'm quite satifiied with it.

    Thanks... I've been using VMware Workstation for years, but reading your
    post I decided to try out VirtualBox. And now I've uninstalled VMware
    and decided to use VirtualBox instead. There is nothing wrong with
    VMware Workstation but with VirtualBox I get almost the same without
    having to pay for the VMware Workstation license (and VirtualBox handles
    the soundsystem better than VMware Workstation).

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental

  7. Re: VMWare vs Xen

    Jacob Tranholm wrote:

    > sebas22 wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm using virtualbox, and I'm quite satifiied with it.
    >>

    > Thanks... I've been using VMware Workstation for years, but reading your
    > post I decided to try out VirtualBox. And now I've uninstalled VMware
    > and decided to use VirtualBox instead. There is nothing wrong with
    > VMware Workstation but with VirtualBox I get almost the same without
    > having to pay for the VMware Workstation license (and VirtualBox handles
    > the soundsystem better than VMware Workstation).

    That's another good point about the cost of VMWare Workstation. I was using
    the free server edition of VMWare but although not totally open if you get
    the suped-up version, VirtualBox is more open than VMWare which still
    required a licence key to open up their 'free' (as in beer) version.

    Glad it's working out for you.

    kev.

+ Reply to Thread