File splitter/joiner: HOZ - Suse

This is a discussion on File splitter/joiner: HOZ - Suse ; Does anybody use this? I came across HOZ while downloading some files from Latin American file sharers. The program seems to be pretty wide-spread in Spanish-speaking countries, maybe it's because of the Spanish metaphor (hoz = sickle). Hoz is free, ...

  1. File splitter/joiner: HOZ

    Does anybody use this?
    I came across HOZ while downloading some files from Latin American file
    sharers. The program seems to be pretty wide-spread in Spanish-speaking
    countries, maybe it's because of the Spanish metaphor (hoz = sickle).
    Hoz is free, open source and easy to install. There's a GUI and command
    line approach. (And it's available for Win and Linux.)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/hoz/

    The split files look something like:

    filename.suffix.0
    filename.suffix.1
    filename.suffix.2

    etc.

    I'm posting about it because I've been looking for alternatives to split
    files (to replace rar) and this (together with HJSplit) may be the best
    way to go. I just wonder why it's not used more widely.

    Luca

  2. Re: File splitter/joiner: HOZ

    Luca wrote:
    > I'm posting about it because I've been looking for alternatives to split
    > files (to replace rar) and this (together with HJSplit) may be the best
    > way to go. I just wonder why it's not used more widely.
    >
    > Luca

    Maybe because there is split on most systems?

    Uwe

  3. Re: File splitter/joiner: HOZ

    Uwe Grauer wrote:
    > Luca wrote:
    >> I'm posting about it because I've been looking for alternatives to
    >> split files (to replace rar) and this (together with HJSplit) may be
    >> the best way to go. I just wonder why it's not used more widely.

    > Maybe because there is split on most systems?

    Okay... on Windows as well?
    I just suppose it would have to be something easy enough to use for non
    command-line savvy people in order to become popular enough.
    HOZ is GUI for Win and Linux as well as command-line for Linux.

    Luca

  4. Re: File splitter/joiner: HOZ

    Luca wrote:
    > Does anybody use this?
    > I came across HOZ while downloading some files from Latin American file
    > sharers. The program seems to be pretty wide-spread in Spanish-speaking
    > countries, maybe it's because of the Spanish metaphor (hoz = sickle).

    Maybe it's the english metaphor 'hose' that's preventing it from
    spreading elsewhere :-)

    > Hoz is free, open source and easy to install. There's a GUI and command
    > line approach. (And it's available for Win and Linux.)
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/hoz/
    >
    > The split files look something like:
    >
    > filename.suffix.0
    > filename.suffix.1
    > filename.suffix.2
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > I'm posting about it because I've been looking for alternatives to split
    > files (to replace rar) and this (together with HJSplit) may be the best
    > way to go. I just wonder why it's not used more widely.
    >
    > Luca

+ Reply to Thread