IRC - Suse

This is a discussion on IRC - Suse ; I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: IRC

  1. IRC

    I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE



  2. Re: IRC

    PWB wrote:

    > I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    > allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    > PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE


    What application are you using, i.e. Kopete, gaim/pidgin? Personally I like
    pidgin because I can run multiple IM protocols at the same time.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  3. Re: IRC

    PWB wrote:
    > I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    > allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    > PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE
    >
    >

    KVirc 3 works quite well.



    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  4. Re: IRC

    On 4 Mar, 00:27, "PWB" wrote:
    > I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    > allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    > PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE


    Why do you think its SuSE preventing it rather than your network
    architecture or service provider?

    C.

  5. Re: IRC


    "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" wrote in
    message
    news:7d4e5c74-a663-4897-8f2a-8bab06541046@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    > On 4 Mar, 00:27, "PWB" wrote:
    >> I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    >> allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    >> PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE

    >
    > Why do you think its SuSE preventing it rather than your network
    > architecture or service provider?
    >
    > C.

    Not knowing too much about linux , (the reason is I'm a newbie to it and
    just learning , ) Windows when I'm using it seems ok.



  6. Re: IRC

    PWB wrote:
    > "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" wrote in
    > message
    > news:7d4e5c74-a663-4897-8f2a-8bab06541046@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    >> On 4 Mar, 00:27, "PWB" wrote:
    >>> I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    >>> allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    >>> PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE

    >> Why do you think its SuSE preventing it rather than your network
    >> architecture or service provider?
    >>
    >> C.

    > Not knowing too much about linux , (the reason is I'm a newbie to it and
    > just learning , ) Windows when I'm using it seems ok.


    You're not giving enough information. Which IRC client are you using?
    Can you connect to the IRC server but can't chat? Can't connect at all?
    Are you connecting but the server kicks you with some error message?

    Also, what do you mean with "can't update"? YaST online update?

  7. Re: IRC


    "Nikos Chantziaras" wrote in message
    news:fqq695$n5m$1@volcano1.grnet.gr...
    > PWB wrote:
    >> "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" wrote in
    >> message
    >> news:7d4e5c74-a663-4897-8f2a-8bab06541046@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    >>> On 4 Mar, 00:27, "PWB" wrote:
    >>>> I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE
    >>>> wont
    >>>> allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    >>>> PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE
    >>> Why do you think its SuSE preventing it rather than your network
    >>> architecture or service provider?
    >>>
    >>> C.

    >> Not knowing too much about linux , (the reason is I'm a newbie to it and
    >> just learning , ) Windows when I'm using it seems ok.

    >
    > You're not giving enough information. Which IRC client are you using? Can
    > you connect to the IRC server but can't chat? Can't connect at all? Are
    > you connecting but the server kicks you with some error message?
    >
    > Also, what do you mean with "can't update"? YaST online update?


    Konversatuion is the IRC, I can connect but but as you say cant chat and
    finally YAST online update or anything else that requires an update



  8. Re: IRC

    PWB wrote:
    > "Nikos Chantziaras" wrote in message
    > news:fqq695$n5m$1@volcano1.grnet.gr...
    >> You're not giving enough information. Which IRC client are you using? Can
    >> you connect to the IRC server but can't chat? Can't connect at all? Are
    >> you connecting but the server kicks you with some error message?
    >>
    >> Also, what do you mean with "can't update"? YaST online update?

    >
    > Konversatuion is the IRC, I can connect but but as you say cant chat


    It's highly unlikely that the operating system is at fault. Try KVIrc.


    > finally YAST online update or anything else that requires an update


    Right now, the online repositories are down (once again :P)

  9. Re: IRC

    In article , PWB wrote:
    > I can talk to people on MSN , surf the net but for some reason SUSE wont
    > allow me to communicate with anyone on IRC or update , Any ideas TIA
    > PS I'm running a dual boot PC WindowsXP/SUSE
    >

    I'd bet it's a firewall problem that's blocking whatever port IRC uses. It
    might even be your modem/router if you're using one. My wireless router has a
    mechanism to block certain ports; perhaps that's the problem.

+ Reply to Thread