Installing old system - Suse

This is a discussion on Installing old system - Suse ; I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz processor with 256 meg of ram. It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails. It never states that there isn't enough memory for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Installing old system

  1. Installing old system

    I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    processor with 256 meg of ram.
    It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is that
    possible? Tried several times. The media check completes without error.
    It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the installation.



    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  2. Re: Installing old system

    Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    > I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    > processor with 256 meg of ram.
    > It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    > It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is that
    > possible? Tried several times. The media check completes without error.
    > It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the installation.


    It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based install.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  3. Re: Installing old system

    houghi wrote:

    > Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >> that possible? Tried several times. The media check completes without
    >> error. It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the
    >> installation.

    >
    > It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based install.
    >
    > houghi


    I've had 10.3 bomb out on me, on a machine with 256Mb ram. It turned
    out that the on-board video card grabbed 32 Mb. An external video card
    worked fine.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  4. Re: Installing old system

    Baron wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >>> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >>> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >>> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >>> that possible?


    >> It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based
    >> install.


    > I've had 10.3 bomb out on me, on a machine with 256Mb ram. It turned
    > out that the on-board video card grabbed 32 Mb. An external video
    > card worked fine.


    No problems here at all with 256MB on virtual machines. But then these
    are basic installations without X and a total of less than 1GB for the
    entire filesystem.

    G√ľnther

  5. Re: Installing old system

    GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    > No problems here at all with 256MB on virtual machines. But then these
    > are basic installations without X and a total of less than 1GB for the
    > entire filesystem.


    So no KDE or GNOME. How CAN you work with that. ;-)

    houghi
    --



    This space left blank intentionaly

  6. Re: Installing old system

    houghi wrote:

    > GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    >> No problems here at all with 256MB on virtual machines. But then
    >> these are basic installations without X and a total of less than 1GB
    >> for the entire filesystem.

    >
    > So no KDE or GNOME. How CAN you work with that. ;-)


    Who does need a graphical desktop on a CUPS print server?
    IME the mentioned CPU is still fine for a lightweight desktop
    installation or any server application in small networks. But the
    memory might be upgraded for desktop use. Used RAM is for free or quite
    cheap.

    GŁnther


  7. Re: Installing old system

    G√ľnther Schwarz wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>
    >>> Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    >>>> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >>>> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >>>> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >>>> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >>>> that possible?

    >
    >>> It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based
    >>> install.

    >
    >> I've had 10.3 bomb out on me, on a machine with 256Mb ram. It turned
    >> out that the on-board video card grabbed 32 Mb. An external video
    >> card worked fine.

    >
    > No problems here at all with 256MB on virtual machines. But then these
    > are basic installations without X and a total of less than 1GB for the
    > entire filesystem.
    >
    > G√ľnther


    256Mb works fine, its just that because the video grabs a chunk there is
    less than the required minimum. So a text based install plus a swap
    file file gets the job done.

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  8. Re: Installing old system

    On 2008-03-03, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    > I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    > processor with 256 meg of ram.
    > It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    > It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is that
    > possible? Tried several times. The media check completes without error.
    > It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the installation.
    >


    Funny that you happened to bring this up.
    I was trying exactly the same a few weeks ago.
    Somebody gave me a similar box K6-2 400 MHz, could also have been 500
    MHz, I'm not sure.

    "See if it's good for anything and if not, just loose it".

    I thought I'll try.

    I had exactly the same situation and I also tried everything that is
    mentioned in this thread.

    Whatever repo (CD or Internet) I tried to set up, it just froze.

    So I gave up


    Vahis
    --
    Training new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  9. Re: Installing old system

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-03-03, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00
    > wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >> that possible? Tried several times. The media check completes without
    >> error. It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the
    >> installation.
    >>

    >
    > Funny that you happened to bring this up.
    > I was trying exactly the same a few weeks ago.
    > Somebody gave me a similar box K6-2 400 MHz, could also have been 500
    > MHz, I'm not sure.
    >
    > "See if it's good for anything and if not, just loose it".
    >
    > I thought I'll try.
    >
    > I had exactly the same situation and I also tried everything that is
    > mentioned in this thread.
    >
    > Whatever repo (CD or Internet) I tried to set up, it just froze.
    >
    > So I gave up
    >
    >
    > Vahis


    Not tried 10.3 on a K6 box but I do have one here running 10.0 and I
    also have an old Dell 2200 server box running 10.0. Dual P2's at
    233Mhz. But I'm about to scrap it and salvage the SCSI drives & RAM.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  10. Re: Installing old system

    Vahis wrote:

    > I was trying exactly the same a few weeks ago.
    > Somebody gave me a similar box K6-2 400 MHz, could also have been 500
    > MHz, I'm not sure.
    >
    > "See if it's good for anything and if not, just loose it".
    >
    > I thought I'll try.
    >
    > I had exactly the same situation and I also tried everything that is
    > mentioned in this thread.
    >
    > Whatever repo (CD or Internet) I tried to set up, it just froze.
    >
    > So I gave up


    Old computers with dirty and rotten fans sometimes just do not stand the
    heat generated by excessive CPU use upon installation. I had the
    problem with an Pentium Pro system which was freezing while trying to
    upgrade it to openSuSE 10.2. I do not remember how I solved the
    situation. Somehow I did as the computer is still in use sometimes. But
    then such a system will not work reliably anymore anyway. So without a
    new CPU cooler at hand it is most definitely a case for the landfill.

    G√ľnther

  11. Re: Installing old system

    Baron wrote:
    > G√ľnther Schwarz wrote:
    >
    >> Baron wrote:
    >>
    >>> houghi wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    >>>>> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >>>>> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >>>>> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >>>>> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >>>>> that possible?
    >>>> It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based
    >>>> install.
    >>> I've had 10.3 bomb out on me, on a machine with 256Mb ram. It turned
    >>> out that the on-board video card grabbed 32 Mb. An external video
    >>> card worked fine.

    >> No problems here at all with 256MB on virtual machines. But then these
    >> are basic installations without X and a total of less than 1GB for the
    >> entire filesystem.
    >>
    >> G√ľnther

    >
    > 256Mb works fine, its just that because the video grabs a chunk there is
    > less than the required minimum. So a text based install plus a swap
    > file file gets the job done.
    >

    How do you start install in text mode?



    --
    Blattus Slafaly ŔĀ Ŕ£ ‚Öě

  12. Re: Installing old system

    houghi wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is that
    >> possible? Tried several times. The media check completes without error.
    >> It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the installation.

    >
    > It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based install.
    >
    > houghi


    How do you get it in text mode. The text mode that comes up on a failed
    install does not work.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  13. Re: Installing old system

    Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    > How do you get it in text mode. The text mode that comes up on a failed
    > install does not work.


    During the booting you have the option to select the text instalation
    http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/d...9/ch03s03.html


    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  14. Re: Installing old system

    houghi wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    >> How do you get it in text mode. The text mode that comes up on a failed
    >> install does not work.

    >
    > During the booting you have the option to select the text instalation
    > http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/d...9/ch03s03.html
    >
    >
    > houghi


    I don't have 'manual installation' on my menu.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  15. Re: Installing old system

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:-

    >houghi wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >>>processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >>> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >>> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >>>that possible? Tried several times. The media check completes
    >>>without error.
    >>> It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the installation.

    >> It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based
    >>install.
    >> houghi

    >
    >How do you get it in text mode. The text mode that comes up on a failed
    >install does not work.


    Boot the 10.3 DVD and use the down arrow to highlight "Installation" .
    Then, enter the following on kernel options line:

    textmode=1

    If you'd like to have a shell available before starting the
    installation, so you can do silly little things like partition a drive
    and create a swap partition on a system with too little memory, you can
    add the option:

    startshell=1

    For a full list of options available, have a look here:




    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1
    SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC |RISC OS 3.11

  16. Re: Installing old system

    Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    >>> How do you get it in text mode. The text mode that comes up on a failed
    >>> install does not work.

    >>
    >> During the booting you have the option to select the text instalation
    >> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/d...9/ch03s03.html
    >>
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > I don't have 'manual installation' on my menu.


    Yes you do, you either do not recognise it or are looking at the wrong
    menu (or both)
    http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_on_old_hardware
    http://en.opensuse.org/Image:103boot.jpg and use F3


    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  17. Re: Installing old system

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:-
    >
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    >>>> I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 10.3 GM on an old AMD K6-2 400mhz
    >>>> processor with 256 meg of ram.
    >>>> It goes all right up to creating repository of SR1 and fails.
    >>>> It never states that there isn't enough memory for install but is
    >>>> that possible? Tried several times. The media check completes
    >>>> without error.
    >>>> It's unable to create a repository of SR1,then aborts the installation.
    >>> It should be enough memory, but to be sure, do the text based
    >>> install.
    >>> houghi

    >> How do you get it in text mode. The text mode that comes up on a failed
    >> install does not work.

    >
    > Boot the 10.3 DVD and use the down arrow to highlight "Installation" .
    > Then, enter the following on kernel options line:
    >
    > textmode=1
    >
    > If you'd like to have a shell available before starting the
    > installation, so you can do silly little things like partition a drive
    > and create a swap partition on a system with too little memory, you can
    > add the option:
    >
    > startshell=1
    >
    > For a full list of options available, have a look here:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt
    >


    I don't have a DVD rom on this computer. I'm using the single CD install.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  18. Re: Installing old system

    In <47cea381$0$4973$4c368faf@roadrunner.com> Blattus Slafaly:

    [Snip...]

    > I don't have a DVD rom on this computer. I'm using the single CD install.


    (Disclaimer: I haven't installed 10.3 so the following may be bunk)

    IIRC the textmode install is available from CD or DVD, but ICBW. Did you
    try David Bolt's suggestion while booting the 10.3 install CD?

    HTH; YMMV...

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  19. Re: Installing old system

    Blattus Slafaly £ • 0/00 wrote:
    > I don't have a DVD rom on this computer. I'm using the single CD install.


    Same difference. It will be even the same if you do a install from HD or
    from a USB key or from whatever.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  20. Re: Installing old system

    houghi wrote:

    > G√ľnther Schwarz wrote:
    >> No problems here at all with 256MB on virtual machines. But then these
    >> are basic installations without X and a total of less than 1GB for the
    >> entire filesystem.

    >
    > So no KDE or GNOME. How CAN you work with that. ;-)


    ssh root@192.168.x.x from another PC works fine. For a Samba, FTP or HTTP
    server there isn't a GUI necessary.

    My "family server" runs openSUSE 10.2 with 192 MB (128+64 MB) on a Pentium
    P3 with 400 MHz. Never I would waste just only one cent to buy a new RAM
    module. :-)

    Dieter


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast