Adobe Acrobat - Suse

This is a discussion on Adobe Acrobat - Suse ; Dear all, Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)? I have a collection of pdf files with its own page numberings, that I want to ...

  1. Adobe Acrobat

    Dear all,

    Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)?
    I have a collection of pdf files with its own page numberings, that I want to convert to one document with a continued page numbering.

    Thank you in advance for your help,
    Niels

  2. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:49:32 +0100 in
    47cb0305$0$14433$e4fe514c@dreader21.news.xs4all.nl Niels CCM Moes
    wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent
    > or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)? I have a collection of pdf files
    > with its own page numberings, that I want to convert to one document
    > with a continued page numbering.

    Maybe pdfedit (from Packman), not sure if you can actually directly edit the text though (and get your
    continal numbering, unless you do this externally)..

    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    stephan.j.bird@mad.scientist.comREMOVE

  3. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent or
    > a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)? I have a collection of pdf files with
    > its own page numberings, that I want to convert to one document with a
    > continued page numbering.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help,
    > Niels

    Though I've only done a little bit with it 'PDFEdit' is quite usefull.
    You'll have to do some learing but it seems that you can do anything to a
    PDF document with it. And unlike OpenOffice this program doesn't crash
    when opening up proprietary versions of PDF...

    Just modified an installation guide in PDF format and saved the changes
    without a hitch.

    It's in the repositories or just go here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfedit

  4. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    Stephan Bird wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:49:32 +0100 in
    > 47cb0305$0$14433$e4fe514c@dreader21.news.xs4all.nl Niels CCM Moes
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent
    >> or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)? I have a collection of pdf files
    >> with its own page numberings, that I want to convert to one document
    >> with a continued page numbering.

    > Maybe pdfedit (from Packman), not sure if you can actually directly edit
    > the text though (and get your continal numbering, unless you do this
    > externally)..

    Sorry to gatecrash Niels thread, but ...

    Just tried this - anyone know what "linearized" means in adobe land? Or why
    pdfedit takes about 3 minutes to load a document / draw its own screen>

    I need to alter some phone numbers on some translated leaflets, should be
    simple enough, but ...

  5. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    Graeme Kerr wrote:

    > Stephan Bird wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:49:32 +0100 in
    >> 47cb0305$0$14433$e4fe514c@dreader21.news.xs4all.nl Niels CCM Moes
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear all,
    >>>
    >>> Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent
    >>> or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)? I have a collection of pdf files
    >>> with its own page numberings, that I want to convert to one document
    >>> with a continued page numbering.

    >> Maybe pdfedit (from Packman), not sure if you can actually directly edit
    >> the text though (and get your continal numbering, unless you do this
    >> externally)..
    >>

    > Sorry to gatecrash Niels thread, but ...
    >
    > Just tried this - anyone know what "linearized" means in adobe land? Or
    > why pdfedit takes about 3 minutes to load a document / draw its own
    > screen>
    >
    > I need to alter some phone numbers on some translated leaflets, should be
    > simple enough, but ...

    3 minutes ? Most documents I've opened only take a few seconds (5.5MB ~ 8
    seconds). As for what Linearization is, a bit of research yielded this:

    A Linearized PDF file is a file that has been organized in a special way to
    enable efficient incremental access in a network environment. The file is
    valid PDF in all respects, and is compatible with all existing viewers and
    other PDF applications. Enhanced viewer applications can recognize that a
    PDF file has been linearized and can take advantage of that organization
    (as well as added hint information) to enhance viewing performance.
    The Linearized PDF file organization is an optional feature available
    beginning in PDF 1.2. Its primary goal is to achieve the following
    behavior:
    •When a document is opened, display the first page as quickly as possible.
    The first page to be viewed can be an arbitrary page of the document, not
    necessarily
    page 0 (though opening at page 0 is most common).
    •When the user requests another page of an open document (for example, by
    going to the next page or by following a link to an arbitrary page),
    display that page as quickly as possible.
    •When data for a page is delivered over a slow channel, display the page
    incrementally
    as it arrives. To the extent possible, display the most useful data first.
    •Permit user interaction, such as following a link, to be performed even
    before the entire page has been received and displayed.
    This behavior should be achieved for documents of arbitrary size. The total
    number
    of pages in the document should have little or no effect on the
    user-perceived performance of viewing any particular page.
    The primary focus of Linearized PDF is optimized viewing of read-only PDF
    documents. It is intended that the Linearized PDF be generated once and
    read many times.

    Probably more than you wanted to know but far less than there is.

  6. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    --------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------snip---------------------------------------

    > Probably more than you wanted to know but far less than there is.

    And if you EVER need to know anything about the PDF file format just
    download this and open in Acrobat Reader to view the embedded PDF's:

    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/..._reference.pdf

    Now that's got to be more than you wanted..... ;-)

  7. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    Dear all,

    Thank you for all your help.
    I have installed pdfedit, and it works fine.

    Regards, Niels

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent
    > or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)?
    > I have a collection of pdf files with its own page numberings, that I
    > want to convert to one document with a continued page numbering.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help,
    > Niels

  8. Re: Adobe Acrobat

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > Is any of you aware of a program that can edit pdf files (a equivalent
    > or a linux version of Adobe Acrobat)?

    is the PDF format generally editable ?
    I think does not.

    --