opensuse on laptop - Suse

This is a discussion on opensuse on laptop - Suse ; Niels CCM Moes wrote: > Dear all, > > I have to buy a laptop computer. > Does any of you have experience with opensuse on laptop? > On what brands and types does it work without problems? I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: opensuse on laptop

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have to buy a laptop computer.
    > Does any of you have experience with opensuse on laptop?
    > On what brands and types does it work without problems?

    I have 10.3 running great on a MacBook. Download and install MadWifi
    to get the WLAN working (WPA is supported.) You need to plug in a USB
    mouse to get right-click, or compile a custom kernel (a switch not
    enabled by default in the openSUSE kernel allows it to recognise
    ctrl-click as a right click.) I didn't bother as I don't like
    touchpads anyway.

    Macbooks are, I found, very price competitive with equivalent Dells
    etc. and the CPUs are fast. You won't be making Bill Gates any richer
    The Macbook Pro is expensive and not needed unless you want to do
    heavy video editing or play (dual-boot under Windows) games. Plus you
    have OSX if you want it, I rarely use it...

    --

    Ulick Magee

    Say no to expensive, bloated, insecure software.
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download http://www.openoffice.org/

  2. Re: opensuse on laptop

    In message <47ccc174$0$24110$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Darrell Stec
    writes

    >Now she wants to go back to Xandro. I told her she just screwed herself.
    >It all went bye bye.

    Not exactly a problem - box comes with a full recover CD that is
    reported by many to work without a problem. Just needs a USB external
    CD drive. Hold down Escape key while in the first screen of boot and
    the option to boot from the CD drive will show.

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  3. Re: opensuse on laptop

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:

    > In message <47ccc174$0$24110$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Darrell Stec
    > writes
    >>
    >>Now she wants to go back to Xandro. I told her she just screwed herself.
    >>It all went bye bye.
    >>

    > Not exactly a problem - box comes with a full recover CD that is
    > reported by many to work without a problem. Just needs a USB external
    > CD drive. Hold down Escape key while in the first screen of boot and
    > the option to boot from the CD drive will show.

    She said she did not have one any CDs. She did however mention a USB
    external CD drive. But thanks. I guess I will have to prod her to look a
    little more carefully, if she didn't in fact throw the thing away.

    Thanks for the info.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: opensuse on laptop

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> No, it will use more space for things you do not need, like Thunderbird
    >> or Kmail.
    >>
    >> Now let mee see what I have for email.
    >> fetchmail 2.1M recieve mail from pop3, imap, ...
    >> mutt 159K reading the mail
    >> vim 1.5M Writing the mails
    >> postfix 5.5M Sending the mails
    >> grepmail 138K Search mailboxes
    >> wmdrawer 96K GUI mailbox warner
    >> xterm 10K To show the mail
    >>

    > YUCK. I can't stand any of them.

    Blasfemy. ;-) And what do you dislike about wmdrawer?

    For all there are obviously alternatives. Some will be even smaller.
    e.g. sendmail is 2.4M instead of the 5.5M for postfix. Balsa can do it
    all in 1.3MB.

    I am sure there will be programs that are GUI that are even smaller. So
    there is no need to wase space on KDE/Gnome and/or Thunderbird. That is
    if space is such a big issue. Otherwise just go with whatever the
    default is.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  5. Re: opensuse on laptop

    In message , houghi
    writes
    >Darrell Stec wrote:
    >>> No, it will use more space for things you do not need, like Thunderbird
    >>> or Kmail.
    >>>
    >>> Now let mee see what I have for email.
    >>> fetchmail 2.1M recieve mail from pop3, imap, ...
    >>> mutt 159K reading the mail
    >>> vim 1.5M Writing the mails
    >>> postfix 5.5M Sending the mails
    >>> grepmail 138K Search mailboxes
    >>> wmdrawer 96K GUI mailbox warner
    >>> xterm 10K To show the mail
    >>>

    >> YUCK. I can't stand any of them.

    >Blasfemy. ;-) And what do you dislike about wmdrawer?
    >
    >For all there are obviously alternatives. Some will be even smaller.
    >e.g. sendmail is 2.4M instead of the 5.5M for postfix. Balsa can do it
    >all in 1.3MB.
    >
    >I am sure there will be programs that are GUI that are even smaller. So
    >there is no need to wase space on KDE/Gnome and/or Thunderbird. That is
    >if space is such a big issue. Otherwise just go with whatever the
    >default is.

    With 80 Gb available if need be, size may not be everything. ;-)

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  6. Re: opensuse on laptop

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    > With 80 Gb available if need be, size may not be everything. ;-)

    Yeah, 80Gb should be enough for everybody.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  7. Re: opensuse on laptop

    In message , houghi
    writes
    >Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >> With 80 Gb available if need be, size may not be everything. ;-)

    >Yeah, 80Gb should be enough for everybody.

    One day when I retire - if I ever get the chance as I'm well past the
    age now - I may get the chance to try out your minimal approach, thanks.

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  8. Re: opensuse on laptop

    Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > On what brands and types does it work without problems?

    i hope here you find info what you need:
    http://en.opensuse.org/HCL

    --
    Привет. Иаков
    --- -- -- -- -- -- --- -- ---

  9. Re: opensuse on laptop

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:19:13 +0100, Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have to buy a laptop computer.
    > Does any of you have experience with opensuse on laptop? On what brands
    > and types does it work without problems?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your kind answers, Niels

    My $2. worth. (used to be 2 pennies but inflation changed that!.)

    I have been a Suse user for about 6 years now. Started with version 7 or
    8 using a Panasonic Toughbook 47? I get a new Toughbook every February,
    currently using a CF-52 running OpenSuse 10.3 I think they are great,
    and EVERYTHING works. I only use that other "W" stuff when I get paid to.

    You don't have to buy a Toughbook, they are very good but tend to be a
    bit on the expensive side. But I'm sure you'll have a similar experience
    with Thinkpads, Dells or whatever you choose.

    Best of luck!

  10. Re: opensuse on laptop

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:19:13 +0100, Niels CCM Moes wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have to buy a laptop computer.
    > Does any of you have experience with opensuse on laptop? On what brands
    > and types does it work without problems?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your kind answers, Niels

    Here we are, Spring 2008

    If it were a fad, it would have been over by now!

    More and more of us are using open source (ie: Linux, etc.) cause it
    works, it is clean and it delivers what it promised.

    At first, Momma used to hold your hand, walk you to school and would tell
    you what and how to do things. And we did NOT question it!.
    Just like for some, that has NOT changed. Some, will always use that
    other operating system cause they are happy and don't want to or are
    afraid to change anything.

    If you read these newsgroups, you will see that others are doing with
    these operating systems and what they are doing it with.

    It works! Give it a shot and you could be one of those saying, I'll
    NEVER go back!.

    Thanks,

    RR

+ Reply to Thread