10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook - Suse ; Hi All, I'm having trouble getting the sound working properly on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-51 Laptop. The sound works just fine through the headphone jack on the machine but not through the built-in speakers. I've included my lsmod and lspci ...

  1. 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    Hi All,

    I'm having trouble getting the sound working properly on a Panasonic
    Toughbook CF-51 Laptop. The sound works just fine through the headphone
    jack on the machine but not through the built-in speakers.

    I've included my lsmod and lspci output below (sorry about the long lines).

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    kev.

    lspci:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and
    945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
    943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
    943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition
    Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port
    4 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port
    3 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port
    1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI
    Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
    (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE
    Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev
    02)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
    Connection (rev 02)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 19)
    05:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b1)
    05:00.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b1)
    05:00.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev
    06)
    05:00.3 Generic system peripheral [Class 0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822
    SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 15)

    lsmod:
    Module Size Used by
    aes_i586 37236 2
    af_packet 29064 4
    ip6t_LOG 10496 7
    nf_conntrack_ipv6 22848 4
    xt_pkttype 5888 3
    ipt_LOG 9984 8
    xt_limit 6656 15
    ip6t_REJECT 9216 3
    xt_tcpudp 7168 4
    ipt_REJECT 8448 3
    xt_state 6528 8
    iptable_mangle 6784 0
    i915 26624 1
    iptable_nat 11140 0
    drm 79636 2 i915
    nf_nat 21912 1 iptable_nat
    iptable_filter 6912 1
    ip6table_mangle 6656 0
    nf_conntrack_ipv4 14856 6 iptable_nat
    nf_conntrack 61556 5
    nf_conntrack_ipv6,xt_state,iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_c onntrack_ipv4
    nfnetlink 9752 4
    nf_conntrack_ipv6,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conn track
    ip_tables 16324 3 iptable_mangle,iptable_nat,iptable_filter
    ip6table_filter 6784 1
    ip6_tables 17476 3 ip6t_LOG,ip6table_mangle,ip6table_filter
    x_tables 18308 11
    ip6t_LOG,xt_pkttype,ipt_LOG,xt_limit,ip6t_REJECT,x t_tcpudp,ipt_REJECT,xt_state,iptable_nat,ip_tables ,ip6_tables
    ipv6 268280 19
    nf_conntrack_ipv6,ip6t_REJECT,ip6table_mangle
    snd_pcm_oss 50432 0
    snd_mixer_oss 20096 1 snd_pcm_oss
    microcode 15372 0
    snd_seq 54452 0
    snd_seq_device 12172 1 snd_seq
    cpufreq_conservative 11272 0
    cpufreq_userspace 8704 0
    cpufreq_powersave 5888 0
    acpi_cpufreq 13192 0
    speedstep_lib 9220 0
    apparmor 40736 0
    fuse 45460 0
    loop 21636 0
    dm_mod 56880 0
    pcmcia 41076 0
    arc4 6016 2
    yenta_socket 28684 2
    ohci1394 36272 0
    rsrc_nonstatic 15872 1 yenta_socket
    ieee1394 91136 1 ohci1394
    pcmcia_core 40852 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
    bay 10240 0
    parport_pc 40892 0
    dock 13960 1 bay
    snd_hda_intel 273180 1
    sr_mod 19492 1
    cdrom 37020 1 sr_mod
    intel_agp 27156 1
    container 9088 0
    button 12560 0
    ac 9604 0
    snd_pcm 82564 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 26756 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    battery 14724 0
    ecb 7552 2
    iTCO_wdt 14372 0
    serio_raw 10756 0
    parport 37832 1 parport_pc
    sdhci 20364 0
    mmc_core 29828 1 sdhci
    blkcipher 10116 1 ecb
    joydev 13632 0
    rtc_cmos 12064 0
    agpgart 35764 3 drm,intel_agp
    snd 58164 9
    snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,s nd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 11460 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 14472 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    iTCO_vendor_support 7812 1 iTCO_wdt
    rtc_core 23048 1 rtc_cmos
    rtc_lib 7040 1 rtc_core
    i2c_i801 12560 0
    i2c_core 27520 1 i2c_i801
    sky2 44804 0
    sg 37036 0
    iwl3945 87132 0
    firmware_class 13568 3 microcode,pcmcia,iwl3945
    mac80211 158344 1 iwl3945
    cfg80211 10120 1 mac80211
    ehci_hcd 35340 0
    uhci_hcd 27024 0
    sd_mod 31104 4
    usbcore 124268 3 ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    edd 12996 0
    ext3 131848 2
    mbcache 12292 1 ext3
    jbd 68148 1 ext3
    fan 9220 0
    ata_piix 21380 4
    libata 139216 1 ata_piix
    scsi_mod 140376 4 sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata
    thermal 20872 0
    processor 40876 2 acpi_cpufreq,thermal

  2. Re: 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:31:48 -0500, Kevin Lucas wrote:

    > > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition

    Audio Controller (rev 02)

    Here's what I think: I believe that the sound card is enabled on your
    box, and that what you need to do is find the sound mixer utility, open it
    up, and if necessary, to enable (by clicking on) the audio channel
    selector for the built in speakers of your unit.

    lspci lists the audio controller above for your unit, an Intel 82801.
    (incidentally, the command lspci -vvv is great for DETAILED, fine grain
    info on your PCI bus)

    slmod on your system lists a whole slew of modules for enabling different
    sound functionality on your box:
    snd_pcm_oss 50432 0
    snd_mixer_oss 20096 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_seq 54452 0
    snd_seq_device 12172 1 snd_seq
    snd_hda_intel 273180 1
    snd_pcm 82564 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 26756 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd 58164 9
    snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,s nd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 11460 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 14472 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    i2c_i801 12560 0
    i2c_core 27520 1 i2c_i801

    The fact that you get sound in headphones leads this guy to believe that
    your sound is fully enabled, but simply trapped in a volume control
    setting which is muted or which is lowered to 0% volume level.

    When you find the sound mixer for your system, make sure that it is one
    for controlling the OSS sound system. Open up the software, and make sure
    that in it's configuration, that all of the "channels" are "clicked on"
    and activated. It may have a control for selecting which of the
    "channels" will act as the "Master Volume Controller".

    Try these things, and post again if you continue to have issues. Also see
    these pages for more KMix info:

    http://linux.wordpress.com/2008/01/1...olume-control/
    http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/arc...e-Kmix....html

    Best Regards,
    Valentin

  3. Re: 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    Valentin Guillen wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:31:48 -0500, Kevin Lucas wrote:
    >
    >> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    >> > Definition

    > Audio Controller (rev 02)
    >
    > Here's what I think: I believe that the sound card is enabled on your
    > box, and that what you need to do is find the sound mixer utility, open it
    > up, and if necessary, to enable (by clicking on) the audio channel
    > selector for the built in speakers of your unit.
    >
    > lspci lists the audio controller above for your unit, an Intel 82801.
    > (incidentally, the command lspci -vvv is great for DETAILED, fine grain
    > info on your PCI bus)
    >
    > slmod on your system lists a whole slew of modules for enabling different
    > sound functionality on your box:
    > snd_pcm_oss 50432 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 20096 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_seq 54452 0
    > snd_seq_device 12172 1 snd_seq
    > snd_hda_intel 273180 1
    > snd_pcm 82564 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    > snd_timer 26756 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    > snd 58164 9

    snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,s nd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    > soundcore 11460 1 snd
    > snd_page_alloc 14472 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    > i2c_i801 12560 0
    > i2c_core 27520 1 i2c_i801
    >
    > The fact that you get sound in headphones leads this guy to believe that
    > your sound is fully enabled, but simply trapped in a volume control
    > setting which is muted or which is lowered to 0% volume level.
    >
    > When you find the sound mixer for your system, make sure that it is one
    > for controlling the OSS sound system. Open up the software, and make sure
    > that in it's configuration, that all of the "channels" are "clicked on"
    > and activated. It may have a control for selecting which of the
    > "channels" will act as the "Master Volume Controller".
    >
    > Try these things, and post again if you continue to have issues. Also see
    > these pages for more KMix info:
    >
    > http://linux.wordpress.com/2008/01/1...olume-control/

    http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/arc...e-Kmix....html

    > Best Regards,
    > Valentin

    Hiya,

    Thanks for the tips. I see what you're saying about the kmix settings but
    so far haven't had much luck. There aren't many output channels (Master,
    PCM, CaptureMUX, & Digital) and only the Master channel has a muting
    switch. As far as the the kmix switches tab goes there's only one (IEC958)
    and a selector called Input Source with 3 optons (Mic, Front Mic, and
    Line). All 4 of the output channels are up at about 75% and the pan fader
    is sitting in the middle. If it wasn't that they work in windows I'd say
    the speakers were physically busted.

    I wonder if there's some parameter to pass to the kernel module(s) that'd
    enable them. Any ideas what parameters to the relevant modules are? Or
    even if I'm way out in left field thinking this.

    Thanks again.
    kev.

  4. Re: 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:33:03 -0500, Kevin Lucas wrote:

    > I wonder if there's some parameter to pass to the kernel module(s) that'd
    > enable them. Any ideas what parameters to the relevant modules are? Or
    > even if I'm way out in left field thinking this.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > kev.

    I haven't used Suse for about 18 months now, but I remember that all
    previous versions have some control, accessible through Yast, which allows
    you to select which of the sound systems to activate, as there are
    probably about five, which include OSS, ALSA, etc.

    Look for that control, and change the sound system you use. Try the sound
    in various of the sound systems. You shouldn't have to reboot after
    changing, as Yast runs SuSeconfig after each change and that should make
    the change effective. I might have a chance to plug in an old drive into
    one of my boxes, and do a screen capture of WHERE in Yast or Control
    Center to find the Audio System Selector.

    Try that and see what happens. Also, I would recommend trying out a couple
    of different bootable Linux Live CDs, with which you can make comparisons
    regarding which features are activated in each distro. I'm NOT
    recommending that you abandon SuSE, but rather that you sharpen your
    diagnostics skills and tools by being able to compare your hardware with
    different Linux environments. I would start with maybe downloading and
    buring a version of Kubuntu and Mepis.

    If you get perfect sound with one of these, you can instantly determine
    which sound system is currently in use, and its operating parameters.

    Keep us posted!

    Valentin

  5. Re: 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    Valentin Guillen wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:33:03 -0500, Kevin Lucas wrote:
    >

    >> I wonder if there's some parameter to pass to the kernel module(s) that'd
    >> enable them. Any ideas what parameters to the relevant modules are? Or
    >> even if I'm way out in left field thinking this.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >> kev.

    > I haven't used Suse for about 18 months now, but I remember that all
    > previous versions have some control, accessible through Yast, which allows
    > you to select which of the sound systems to activate, as there are
    > probably about five, which include OSS, ALSA, etc.
    >
    > Look for that control, and change the sound system you use. Try the sound
    > in various of the sound systems. You shouldn't have to reboot after
    > changing, as Yast runs SuSeconfig after each change and that should make
    > the change effective. I might have a chance to plug in an old drive into
    > one of my boxes, and do a screen capture of WHERE in Yast or Control
    > Center to find the Audio System Selector.
    >
    > Try that and see what happens. Also, I would recommend trying out a couple
    > of different bootable Linux Live CDs, with which you can make comparisons
    > regarding which features are activated in each distro. I'm NOT
    > recommending that you abandon SuSE, but rather that you sharpen your
    > diagnostics skills and tools by being able to compare your hardware with
    > different Linux environments. I would start with maybe downloading and
    > buring a version of Kubuntu and Mepis.
    >
    > If you get perfect sound with one of these, you can instantly determine
    > which sound system is currently in use, and its operating parameters.
    >
    > Keep us posted!
    >
    > Valentin

    Thanks Valentin, good idea.

    I've done the live boot test but I didn't think to check the sound system
    used. It worked perfectly in Knoppix 5.1.1 but didn't in Mandriva 2008
    One. I'll check the sound system used in Knoppix when I get home.

    Don't worry about the screenshots, I'm pretty sure I know the Yast module
    you're talking about... Or was it in kcontrol? I'll look into it.

    Thanks again for your help on this.

    kev.

  6. Re: 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    Kevin Lucas wrote:

    > Valentin Guillen wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:33:03 -0500, Kevin Lucas wrote:
    >>

    >>> I wonder if there's some parameter to pass to the kernel module(s)
    >>> that'd
    >>> enable them. Any ideas what parameters to the relevant modules are? Or
    >>> even if I'm way out in left field thinking this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>> kev.

    >> I haven't used Suse for about 18 months now, but I remember that all
    >> previous versions have some control, accessible through Yast, which
    >> allows you to select which of the sound systems to activate, as there are
    >> probably about five, which include OSS, ALSA, etc.
    >>
    >> Look for that control, and change the sound system you use. Try the
    >> sound
    >> in various of the sound systems. You shouldn't have to reboot after
    >> changing, as Yast runs SuSeconfig after each change and that should make
    >> the change effective. I might have a chance to plug in an old drive into
    >> one of my boxes, and do a screen capture of WHERE in Yast or Control
    >> Center to find the Audio System Selector.
    >>
    >> Try that and see what happens. Also, I would recommend trying out a
    >> couple of different bootable Linux Live CDs, with which you can make
    >> comparisons
    >> regarding which features are activated in each distro. I'm NOT
    >> recommending that you abandon SuSE, but rather that you sharpen your
    >> diagnostics skills and tools by being able to compare your hardware with
    >> different Linux environments. I would start with maybe downloading and
    >> buring a version of Kubuntu and Mepis.
    >>
    >> If you get perfect sound with one of these, you can instantly determine
    >> which sound system is currently in use, and its operating parameters.
    >>
    >> Keep us posted!
    >>
    >> Valentin

    > Thanks Valentin, good idea.
    >
    > I've done the live boot test but I didn't think to check the sound system
    > used. It worked perfectly in Knoppix 5.1.1 but didn't in Mandriva 2008
    > One. I'll check the sound system used in Knoppix when I get home.
    >
    > Don't worry about the screenshots, I'm pretty sure I know the Yast module
    > you're talking about... Or was it in kcontrol? I'll look into it.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help on this.
    >
    > kev.

    After some more research I found indications that the speakers may not work
    with certain ALSA/Kernel combinations. The page at:
    http://www.cs.unm.edu/~moret/CFY5.html
    which is for a similar model laptop says that this may not work.

    I'm currently downgrading my version of alsa to see if that has some effect.

    If I do manage to get this going I'll repost.

    kev.

  7. Re: 10.3 Sound on a Panasonic ToughBook

    Kevin Lucas wrote:

    > Valentin Guillen wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:33:03 -0500, Kevin Lucas wrote:
    >>

    >>> I wonder if there's some parameter to pass to the kernel module(s)
    >>> that'd
    >>> enable them. Any ideas what parameters to the relevant modules are? Or
    >>> even if I'm way out in left field thinking this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>> kev.

    >> I haven't used Suse for about 18 months now, but I remember that all
    >> previous versions have some control, accessible through Yast, which
    >> allows you to select which of the sound systems to activate, as there are
    >> probably about five, which include OSS, ALSA, etc.
    >>
    >> Look for that control, and change the sound system you use. Try the
    >> sound
    >> in various of the sound systems. You shouldn't have to reboot after
    >> changing, as Yast runs SuSeconfig after each change and that should make
    >> the change effective. I might have a chance to plug in an old drive into
    >> one of my boxes, and do a screen capture of WHERE in Yast or Control
    >> Center to find the Audio System Selector.
    >>
    >> Try that and see what happens. Also, I would recommend trying out a
    >> couple of different bootable Linux Live CDs, with which you can make
    >> comparisons
    >> regarding which features are activated in each distro. I'm NOT
    >> recommending that you abandon SuSE, but rather that you sharpen your
    >> diagnostics skills and tools by being able to compare your hardware with
    >> different Linux environments. I would start with maybe downloading and
    >> buring a version of Kubuntu and Mepis.
    >>
    >> If you get perfect sound with one of these, you can instantly determine
    >> which sound system is currently in use, and its operating parameters.
    >>
    >> Keep us posted!
    >>
    >> Valentin

    > Thanks Valentin, good idea.
    >
    > I've done the live boot test but I didn't think to check the sound system
    > used. It worked perfectly in Knoppix 5.1.1 but didn't in Mandriva 2008
    > One. I'll check the sound system used in Knoppix when I get home.
    >
    > Don't worry about the screenshots, I'm pretty sure I know the Yast module
    > you're talking about... Or was it in kcontrol? I'll look into it.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help on this.
    >
    > kev.

    Okay, didn't have much luck there. But I am able to confirm that the
    problem exists with kernel-default-2.6.22.17-0.1 (32-bit) and alsa versions
    1.0.14-31 and 1.0.14-31.2.

    It looks like there are a couple of newer versions of the kernel out there
    (kernel.org lists 2.6.24.3 as the current stable) but I've never had much
    luck recompiling kernels (I may get the feature I'm after but I usually
    break half a dozen other things in the process ) so I think I'll just
    wait and see what the next kernel update from the repos does.

    kev.

+ Reply to Thread